It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Reporter: Network Execs Killed 'Critical' Whitehouse Stories!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I don't doubt that media execs applied pressure to keep questions (directed towards the Whitehouse) simple and nationalism high during the run up to the war. Now it is popular to bash Bush and many media outlets have run anti-war journalistic pieces or at least articles questioning the wisdom of our actions. The major news outlets just feed off the energy of the public and feed that right back to them. It was popular to be pro-America back then so they jumped right on it.. Now it's popular to be anti-America so they jump on that wagon. It's basic psychology.

Since when is it Anti-American to call for accountability for deception in government? Why would it be considered unpatriotic to expect news agencies to actually live up to their charters? Are you of the opinion that this is the way things are supposed to work?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What I don't get is all the "Roveism" on this topic. From here at ATS, all the way to The Today Show, people are ranting that none of this matters because these people should have spoken up before, and didn't. Guess what... NOBODY spoke up before the war. America thought we were getting the bad guys that perpetrated 9/11. The public was blood-thirsty, and lapped up whatever the administration fed them.

The point is, these people are now owning up to their mistakes. The motivation for doing so is irrelevant. Who cares why they're doing what they're doing. The fact that they're doing it is the only thing that matters. Hell, half the posts in this thread make it sound like NOT disclosing this information would have been the better thing to do...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I think it most certainly matters. If they had spoken up when it mattered, a lot of heartache might have been avoided.

None of this is to say that speaking out is a bad thing. But look at it another way. If YOU knew about a major crime that was committed and you not only stayed silent for 5 years, but gave information that mislead the authorities, before going to the cops to tell the truth, what would happen to you?

That's right...hello prison.

But these two? They'll make their money selling their books and other crap, making no important contribution other than to confirm some people's beliefs and to pad their own bank accounts.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by vor78]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Since when is it Anti-American to call for accountability for deception in government?

Don't get me wrong I totally agree. The sad truth is we are all powerless to stop it. Human beings remind me of the girl who loses her virginity at a fraternity party. It's someone else's fault for inviting her to the party. It's someone else's fault for getting her drunk. Yada yada. The buck stops nowhere because we are all connected in some way.

This is just what you get from a society of 300,000,000 different individuals. How many of us are honestly willing to cast our jobs and security aside and hit the streets tonight and bring this country economically to its knees?? The only way to bring about change is radical action! Otherwise you'll always have millionaire media execs at the top in bed with the NSA, CIA, or any powerful organization (private or gov't).

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Thank you! I agree, the fact that this is finally coming out is what is important and the fact that it's the people in the know saying it, is important.

Mcclellan is being bashed so hard because they know what he is saying is going to be heard, because he was a Bush insider and what this reporter is saying is important.

The fact is, it takes guts to step forward, to go against the mainstream, the staus quo, no matter when you do it.

And don't forget what happened to those who did try and present the voice of dissent during that time, Phil Donahue had one of the top shows but was canceled because he showed the dissent, he let the people who was against this war have a voice.

BTW McClellan is supposed to be on the Keith Olbermann show tonight to talk about his book.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

I understand. You are right, it seems that less and less viable options are left for those of us in 'the audience'. Let's hope that something somewhere in their hermetically sealed box of super friends breaks and someone's conscience gets the best of them while they are still inside and can't be dismissed as a disgruntled employee.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

So, using your example of witnessing a crime, are you saying it's better If I just kept my mouth shut instead? Or, are you saying it's ok for me to come clean, but only if I go to prison instead of making some coin by writing a book about it?

I really don't care if the only reason McClellan came out was to make a fortune in book sales. His motivation is irrelevant. It's his actions that are important. Same with any other "high level" whistle blower. Besides, it's not like he would have simply been dismissed, with a letter of recommendation and a nice severance package, I imagine the repercussions from exposing certain information amounts to no less than extortion.

There doesn't seem to be too many people who understand the concept of changing perspectives. If you look at the world differently, the world looks different. Obviously, McClellan is looking at the world much differently than he was during the run up to the war. So are you, me, and everyone else. In some circles, "stickin' to the story" is romantic and all, but in this case, not in the best interest of our country. Whether he, or anyone else, exposes these situations because they want change or cash makes no difference, the fact that they do it period is what makes the difference.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Again this is not something we haven't heard before... its just the mainstream media are saying it now... and more importantly bush minor's previous media allies.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The whole point here really is that they stood by when they should have spoken up.
The media elites are the same people who run the Fed, So they can dictate to the Government and they own most of the largest companies in the US, Canada, and the UK with major investments in the EU and Japan. Not to mention the parts of their empires that are into defense contracts YES " WAR " is great business so OF COURSE. they don't want a negative spin on their CASH COW George W

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I'm saying that you have a moral and perhaps even a legal obligation to speak up at the first opportunity if you witness a serious crime. The average joe would be held legally accountable if they actively assist the original perpetrator, either through words or deeds. They don't get rich off of it.

These people aren't 'whistleblowers' IMO. That's a title that I reserve for someone who speaks up when they have little to gain and much to lose.

No, these people are opportunists as far as I'm concerned. The wait until the risk is small and the rewards are great. As such, I think that their motivations are suspect, and if their motivations are suspect, I believe that their credibility is as well.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by vor78]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Yes, however the fact that someone gains from disclosure doesn't mean they shouldn't disclose it. Yes, they should have spoken up before, and it's too bad they didn't. But the fact that they didn't shouldn't mean they shouldn't speak up now. Is it better to be late to work, or not show up at all? Your logic would indicate it's better to take the day off than show up late.

Does the information reach more people if he's able to land a 10 minute spot on the Alex Jones show, or if he writes a book that is sure to spark controversy and land him on every major network over and over again? The biggest mistake anyone could make is to discredit the information because the author is getting paid for it. In my opinion, writing a book on the issue is the best way to get the info out. Just so happens, most people get paid for their published works. Nobody is saying that anyone did the "right" think by not speaking up before, but there seems to be a significant sentiment that they're doing the wrong thing by speaking up now. Back asswards if you ask me.

If someone wants to get something off their chest, let 'em. If they get paid because of it, so be it.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I'm definitely not saying that they should've just stayed quiet. I'm simply saying that there's a reason that these people are getting raked over the coals. If what they say is true, they're far from clean in the matter themselves.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well here is her RETRACTION.

I guess she wants to keep that cushy job!

Jessica Yellin
Congressional Correspondent

I find myself in an interesting position. Today the blogs lit up with comments I made last night on AC360° and suddenly I’m being reported on.

It’s not the most comfortable position for a reporter.

So let me clarify what I said and what I experienced.

First, this involved my time on MSNBC where I worked during the lead up to war. I worked as a segment producer, overnight anchor, field reporter, and briefly covered the White House, the Pentagon, and general Washington stories.

Also, let me say: No, senior corporate leadership never asked me to take out a line in a script or re-write an anchor intro. I did not mean to leave the impression that corporate executives were interfering in my daily work; my interaction was with senior producers. What was clear to me is that many people running the broadcasts wanted coverage that was consistent with the patriotic fever in the country at the time. It was clear to me they wanted their coverage to reflect the mood of the country.

And now I’m going back to work covering the Puerto Rico primary from San Juan.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Starred and flagged.

How many more people need to come out against the administration and the media in order to actually warrant some investigation? You would think that the American people wouldn't be able to talk about anything else. But instead, we continue listening to the BS on Iran???? WHY????

Another awesome post, DD!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Here is Tom Brokaw doing a cya for his part of telling lies to the American people...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I have to laugh at all the fuss about this McClellan book... if they think this is bad... wait until they find out about 9/11.

starred & flagged

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Very well then, we're in agreement. I'll clarify as well then, that I don't think these people are "clean" in any way, shape or form. I question however, those that are "raking them over the coals" at this point in time. There was no "raking" going on before the disclosure. Seems to me that if someone is going to rake someone over the coals, they had a "moral obligation" to rake them over the coals from the get go.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I wonder if, the hotter the stories of corporate influence in government/media gets, the more likely it is that we will see a 'press stopping' story appear in the news..., Aliens?, Nukes, Terror, H5N1 flu..., anyone taking bets?

My money is on a heart warming tale of a dog being saved from certain drowning while a family was vacationing next to a river....

I swear that I have encountered a half hour of that (or something very similar) on CNN several years ago...it was like watching a train wreck, I couldn't believe it at the time. As if CNN needed to waste their and our time on such internationally inane things as that...

That was prior to my ATS discovery....

But it is true. I am of the train of thought that simple stories of good human nature do a bit more harm than good if the harm is misrepresenting the motives and actions of those who are supposedly leading us into the next century. I would never think for a second to not second guess their motives...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I just heard David Gregory, on MSNBC, say 'mashinations' when he was trying to pronounce the word, in his teleprompter....."machinations"

What a shame.....the 'dumbing down' of America, even by someone that I used to think had some cred.....David Gregory, maybe he mis-spoke?

Look....the 24-hour news sources have to fill every 1440 minutes....less commercials!!!

Thius is the problem, nowadays.

Keep spouting BS, just to fill time....make sure you get to promote, promote, promote!!! To keep the audience hooked, through the commercials!!!

Never deliver, just keep them on the hook!!!

That is the strategy of the 24 hour 'News' sources.....disgusting!!

edit....I made a spelling boo-boo, but didn't change it....it's still there!!!

[edit on 5/29/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
absolute shock

as an american i find this appaling and hard to believe

she's a liar! ha ha ha Jk

This is how the world works, media shills know who butters their bread and ignorant people like to imagine america has the best intentions in their foreign policy, because believing anything else would be painful and shake them from their starbucks trip, plus i think many older americans are far too trusting in the media.

media is corporate marketing and propoganda, it is misleading in every single country, bar none. Especially since financial intrests have infiltrated and taken more control of the "news outlets".

they can make or break elections for people , they are backed often by large financial interests with $ on their mind as well as watched closely by three letter agency's since they have the power to frame story's and mold people's perceptions. Capitalism is the worst economic system, besides the other's and the baby boomers were lucky to live during the boom part of the cycle. Future generations ...............yikes.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
LOL...So much for the "liberal" media...

...And freedom of the press...
When the news decides "fitness to report" based upon approval ratings, then it's not "free press." At least the censorship used within the MSM is starting to come out to public view...And the public is viewing the MSM networks & the Bush Admin with a lot of intense scrutiny right now. At least that's one piece of good news.

Originally posted by Rook1545
I don't think it is coincidence that the worse things get in Iraq, Iran, the economy, you know the serious stuff, the more we hear about where Britney went without underwear today, the next Paris sex tape, who Lindsay Lohan is doing now, in other words the completely assinine. We are being made to care and worry more about the sordid lives of "celebrity", than we are about what really matters.

Heh! If you look into my member profile, you'll find something that's been there ever since ATS came up with the new formats for the profiles...Listed under "Topics I Dislike"--
"Not much into media, especially of the "celebrity gossip" type. This nation has a lot more serious problems than whether or not a certain rap star has been thrown into jail recently."
However, I think there may be the glimmers of hope for the MSM beginning to show...Unless Yellin's revelations don't get the publicity it deserves. At least McClellin's book got a segment on ABC News (on May 28th) at 5pm, so let's see how Yellin's story goes. Needless to say, I won't hold my breath while waiting.

Originally posted by sarcastic
Is what this means is that media executives are complicit and aiding and abetting in every crime this president has committed against the Constitution and Geneva Conventions?

Well, I wouldn't put it that strongly without more concrete evidence (such as actual evidence turned up by their investigative reporters) that the MSM knew more than they were telling...Acting as accomplices for at least some of their crimes would be more realistic (& a bit less reactionary in my attitude).

Originally posted by gottago
Seems everybody's getting giddy on the fumes of McClellan's memoirs. Better start re-inoculating the press corps.

Nah, they just need to crank up the gain on those mind-control implants a bit higher...

Well, pretty much all of us are anticipating the next 'false-flag' op, with of course, "Irani operatives" at the center of it all.

Shhh!...Don't give them any more ideas that they may not have already come up with. Since it's pretty well known that they monitor sites like ATS, they may wind up stealing your idea...And steal any copyright out from under you with the idea itself!

This corruption and dishonesty is so complete and widespread throughout all these entities it is almost like something out of a cross between a Stephen King Horror novel and "1984"...

...With an unhealthy dose of The Matrix thrown in (with an additional compliment for your avatar pic, including a Flag & Star for your OP, DD)...

Originally posted by niteboy82
.....I am believing more and more in aliens... because the fact that we ever got out of the Bronze Age on our own is amazing.

Well, if it wasn't for the Monolith in 2001 A Space Odyssey, we never would have come down from the trees... (Just like the normal MSM broadcasts, "My God, it's full of stars!"...But unlike the MSM, no real substance)

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Well here is her RETRACTION.

I guess she wants to keep that cushy job!

Jessica Yellin
Congressional Correspondent
...And now I’m going back to work covering the Puerto Rico primary from San Juan.

Heh! At least if the FBI, CIA or NBC's hitmen start to tail her, she's in a good position to get further out of the country in a hurry...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join