It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.1 ICELAND REGION (prev. 6.7)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Iceland has and always will have seismic acivity. So will Turkey, Japan, China and anywhere else. Mother Nature doesn't have a timetable. If things were quiet what would people be thinking?

Originally posted by johnsky

Is it just me, or is the world seeing a bit more movement from the plates lately?

There were 10 major earthquakes in 2007.
For latest earthquake activity. You can see there have been many today, and there'll be more tomorrow. There certainly seems to be more larger earthquakes in recent years. I noticed that Wikipedia didn't have a count of deaths on its page for 21st Century quakes apart from 3 or 4.

The number of seismic stations has increased from about 350 in 1931 to many thousands today. As a result, many more earthquakes are reported than in the past because of the vast improvement in instrumentation (not because the number of earthquakes has increased). The USGS estimates that, since 1900, there have been an average of 18 major earthquakes (magnitude 7.0-7.9) and one great earthquake (magnitude 8.0 or greater) per year, and that this average has been relatively stable. In fact, in recent years, the number of major earthquakes per year has actually decreased, although this is likely a statistical fluctuation. More detailed statistics on the size and frequency of earthquakes is available from the USGS.

If you want to check out a large database of earthquakes to get an idea of how "regularly" they occur and where, then check out this website.

I don't think there's anything to worry about but I'm not a seismologist.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
CNN is reporting on boiling mud steaming in the country side after the quake.

Could a volcano be about to blow.

We will have to wait and see.

CNN.com

new topics

<< 1   >>

join