It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternatives means of acquirng Survival Gear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Money is something that's in very short supply nowadays, and the aspiring survivalist may be discouraged this fact. Have no fear, there are other mean of acquiring what you need.

Some people may be put off by my suggestions, but if you're serious about getting prepared and don't mind a little possible ridicule by idiotic people, these alternative methods for acquiring necessary items are definitely doable.

College Dumpsters

College students are notoriously wasteful, and at the end of a school semester throw away many like new items. I've scavenged like new clothes, shoes, cooking & eating utensils, backpacks, electronic devices, books, etc.. The key is to be there about a day before the dorms close. You'll probably have a lot of competition from the homeless in the area as well as the poorer students. It's truly a treasure trove for the unabashed scavenger!

City & County Dumps

Like the college dorm dumpsters, these places are loaded with good items. We live in a disposable economy, and people throw away good items all the time due to a lack of space, or because they've upgraded with newer stuff. You can find just about anything you can think of here if you're not afraid of getting your hands a little dirty.

Most sites are managed however, so it's best to befriend one of the workers and get permission to scavenge first. Typically they don't care as long as you don't get in their way while they're working.

Alleys in affluent Neighborhoods

Wealthy people throw away tons of good stuff. I've scavenged like new bicycles, housing goods, camping gear, furniture, clothing, and even an old shotgun once. This is best done in a vehicle. Some people will call the cops on you if they see you! It's not illegal to garbage pick, but it can be embarrassing explaining yourself.

For some reason they really object to people sifting through their castoffs. They don't want the stuff, but they don't want you to have it either! Once it's in the garbage though, it's fair game.

These are just a few ideas, if you use your imagination, I'm sure you can think of more.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
College Dumpsters

College students are notoriously wasteful, and at the end of a school semester throw away many like new items. I've scavenged like new clothes, shoes, cooking & eating utensils, backpacks, electronic devices, books, etc.. The key is to be there about a day before the dorms close. You'll probably have a lot of competition from the homeless in the area as well as the poorer students. It's truly a treasure trove for the unabashed scavenger!

The uni year has just finished here in the UK and the majority of stoodents will be heading back to their home towns so now would be the best time to exploit this avenue

Also, this is the one time of year that the faculties will start ripping out all the old gear to be replaced for the new academic year...last summer I went on a wander through my campus and found the 'holding area' for all this stuff...under a load of aircon ducting I could see through the security fence, a stack of 8-10 old PC chassis units from some IT department, I never gave it much of a second thought until you brought it up in this thread. I'll be sure to have a good rummage around this end-of-term though and see what I can lay my hands on

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Schools and universities dispose of tons of electronics all the time, and if you know someone in the IT department, they can hook you up with all kinds of stuff like Ram chips, cases, hard drives, DVD drives, etc.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
i thought it was ilegal in the UK to take that stuff?
im pretty sure its ilegal to take form a skip, not sure about 'general' household rubbish tho?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I dont think its entirely illegal to get something out of a skip, but with all the recycling going on at the council tips they wont actually let you look let alone take something.

I wanted some scrap metal for a project 6 months ago so i headed to the council tip where they have a metal container, had a word to whoever was there, nothing.

not allowed even though i was actually trying to recycle something from scrap.

its idiotic, If i had to buy the materials it would cost me near on 100 quid, Im still looking for scrap materials.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well you could make some gear, I guess. But that would still cost money and would be vary time consuming
But besides the things you mentioned I cant think of anything else thats legal.
Except maybe trading with other people.
And I have gotten alot of stuff from scavenging thourgh dumps, alleys, and such.
But I have never found stuff I use in my survival pack in it.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned is book depositories!
Excellant place to find good book about this subject. (if you look carefully)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by n0b0DY

Nobody, that is the funniest freaking avatar I have ever seen.

One time I dumpster dived and found a bag that had hundreds of rounds of ammo, including .22, 12 gauge, and 9mm. I don't usually do much dumpster diving.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Never overlook the garage sale, tag sale, etc.

People upgrade their gear and sell off the perfectly serviceable old items for pennies on the dollar. Good place to pick up backup items like stoves, lanterns knives tools, etc.

Picked up some great camping gear myself.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
lol, Thanks. They're hard to find but worth worth it. On etime I dumpster dived and found a .22 varmit rifle. I still have that thing.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yeah people like to throw away camping stuff for some reason. Pretty much all my camping or survival gear I have gotten out of people' trash bins or at yard sales.

If you have absolutley no money than yeah get the stuff outta the garbage but, if you got a couple dollars on you yard sales are by far the greatest place to find survival gear for cheap.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Great topic!

I take it many of the respondents are from the U.K.

I use this site boston.craigslist.org... daily and always go directly to the free section. I take my truck and load up.

I've been running "free" 55 gallon drums, lumber, nails, hardware, backpacks, you name it out to my site for nearly 18 months. It may take me 3 weeks to acquire a full truck load but how can you beat "FREE?"

Looking forward to reading more innovative ways to get great stuff.

Becker

new topics

top topics

join