It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SPEEDRACER the movie should not be PG

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I took my son to see Speedracer with his buddy. The opening scenes show a Guy tied to the chair with bloodied lips and being punched in the face!
Then comes the the flesh-eating fish and the threat to the aforementioned drivers hand in.

My son was quite upset at the fish eating some guys fingers with the water turning red from blood, although you could not see the fingers being devoured per se.. his body was shaking..

Words like a**, d***, h*** ,the young boy flip someone off. I had to leave.. and i checked ..it was a PG...

my son does not watch TV all the time, he was Steiner Waldorf educated but now educated at home.. .. this is shocking..!

these are the children of our future...

I am not a prude.. i have worked and do work in the Arts and Marketing, but now an artist..

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I am a little confused by your statement.

PG = Parental Guidance ("Some material may be inappropriate for younger children. ")

I specifically did not take my kids that movie because I knew there would be violence in it. However, the car scenes my son would have loved.

You didn't mention the age of your son as well. However, as a parent, it is your right to decide what is appropriate for your child or not. Apparently, you feel it wasn't appropriate. Based on your son's reaction, I would have to agree.

I am not saying this is right or wrong, but each child is unique. What is extreme to one family may be appropriate to another.

Speaking of offensive movies, I was rather disturbed (and at the same time happy has heck I didn't bring the kids) with Bridge to Terabithia. I felt the commercial advertisements completely misrepresented what that movie was about. My son would have been bored as heck, and my daughter would have been in hysterics.

[edit on 2008/5/29 by TLomon]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
PG = Parental Guidance ("Some material may be inappropriate for younger children. ")

Well to be honest in a PG movie today It may be the norm to subject children under 12 to Tarantino type torture, but the last time i looked Robots was classified as PG and no adults were dressed as extras from fight club torturing people in a children movie...

and i would not expect those scenes for under 12's. The language maybe ..it seems to be the standard for some offspring...

my son is 6

the bridge to Terebithia may have been dark for some, but my son liked it as life continues ...and he is aware of that..

the film ratings board is made up of people who are handpicked by the movie industry and work for it. The ratings are given according to criteria that have never been made available to the public

In September 2000, the Federal Trade Commission published a landmark report showing how the movie industry has routinely marketed violent entertainment to children under the ages considered appropriate by the industry's own rating system. The report described a host of unethical marketing practices used by the industry to draw children into violent entertainment. One common way is to market violent toys linked to movies rated PG-13 or R to children as young as 4.

Two years ago, six major medical groups – including the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Medical Association, and the American Psychological Association got together and issued a statement on the effects of entertainment violence on children. After reviewing hundreds of studies, they found an overwhelming causal connection between media violence and aggressive behavior in some children.

They also found that children who watch a lot of media violence can become desensitized to violence in real life.

nothing confusing about it really

just a warning maybe to parents with more ethical philosophies

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
G- all audiences
pg - might not be suitable for children - parental guidance is suggested
pg-13 - parental guidance is strongly suggested as some material might not be suitable for children
R - restricted. under 17 must be accompanied by an adult
NC-17 - nobody under 17 allowed.

per the MPAA website:

A PG-rated motion picture should be investigated by parents before they let their younger children attend. The PG rating indicates, in the view of the Rating Board, that parents may consider some material unsuitable for their children, and parents should make that decision.

www.mpaa.org...

In other words, the MPAA is saying you should watch the movie first and then decide.

My son is a huge fan of the spiderman movies. He's 3 (next week) and I never should have let him watch them. In an effort to push them out of his mind I picked up the Spy Kids movies. I figured this was more suited to younger kids. Now, when one of my kids calls the other one an idiot or stupid etc I go to tell them it's not nice and they say"but Carmen says it to Juni in Spy Kids." There's the added bonus of the older girl shouting "Oh #aki (long pause between syllables for effect) mushrooms in one scene in each of the three movies. So now my daughter repeats that as well.

The lesson learned - watch the movies first if you think your kids might not be ready for the content.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Crakeur]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yes i do agree i should go to the cinema and watch the PG movies before i bring my son.. but the huge jump from Robots to Speedracer is really something else..

back to renting the dvds so i can switch off button asap methinks.. at 15 pounds for an adult in London to check it out first is a bit too much for me to swallow

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ladysharrowandherbarrow

I agree, plus you wind up seeing it again with the kids so it's 30 for you.

Perhaps parents should be allowed to see scenes that qualified the movie for the rating it received - show me the scenes of violence, language etc in advance so I can make the determination without sitting thru the whole movie.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
With regards to Robots, it was tagged as PG due to language and suggestive scenes... which, in my household, is less then the kids are exposed to when mom goes into a tirade about a mess they made.

The key is to look into why a movie is rated as such. Watching the movie first is an option. I really like Crakeur's suggestion (star to you) as that would solve a lot of problems.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I noticed a similar thing the other day, the movie i was watching was rated 14. needless to say it had boobs, alot of swearing and things that where not in a 14 movie when i was younger, corupting our kids.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Stop complaining please, it is people like you who make really good video games get banned and toned down because all you can do is moan...

It is your responsibility as a parent to judge what your child can and can't watch, or play...

If it is rated PG, then they are trying to tell you "PARENTAL GUIDANCE" is ADVISED, do they not ???

That means, if you don't like it or want your child to watch it, you get up and leave, not go and moan about a PG movie...

If the age restriction was "ALL" or "FAMILY" and it had such content in it, then I think you would have had a right to come and nag about it, but otherwise i don't think you do...

[edit on 29-5-2008 by The Soldier Of Darkness]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
look the movie up on IMDB first next time.. It has a section where parents can read about the content of the film and why it got that rating.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
yes i agree Crakeur thats a great idea

and super Unkle Greggo did not know that..

The Soldier Of Darkness as i said before

"just a warning maybe to parents with more ethical philosophies" .

.maybe you missed that bit...or did you just want to nag yourself

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soldier Of Darkness

It certainly sounds to me as if you are the one moaning. People here seem to be helping each other figure things out. Take your own advice... If you don't like what's being said, leave.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The ratings have changed, especially in England since the rating 12A was introduced meaning we now go:

U - Everyone
PG - Parental Guidance
12A - Under 12 come with and adult
12 -12 or older
15 - 15 or older
18 - 18 or older

Once this new rating came in everything dropped a section and I can now watch films that a couple of years ago would have been definate 18s'.

Whilst I can see why you complained it IS a PG and thus your responsibility as a parent to decide what your child can watch. You do have the internet and so could have looked it up beforehand.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by umbr45]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
As has been said in earlier posts, this is the age of the internet, all I had to do was Google: "parents review movies" and about 18 million websites popped up. There are plenty of websites out there now that are designed specifically for parents, which break down movies, video games and other entertainment and tell you exactly why something is rated the way it is.

Could have saved yourself time and money, really

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ladysharrowandherbarrow

I have to say that I know where you're coming from. I didn't see speedracer but I did see Iron Man (loved it) which I believe had a PG rating. And it wasn't bad except for one thing - The scene where Robert Downey takes that reporter girl home and she wakes up naked in his bed...could really have been done without. I don't even have kids and I know that the kids in the theatre who were obviously still in elementary school should not have been seeing this.

No, she doesn't show any private parts but it's inappropriate for kids to see a one night stand walking around her date's house in nothing but his dress shirt from the night before. Why did they even have to put this in the movie at all? Robert Downey could have been shown to be a womanizer without being so unnecessarily lewd.

Going to the movies was such a great time as a kid and I would hate to have to deny my (future) kids that pleasure because I need to fast foreward through scenes of a movie that has a PG rating. And if you guys haven't noticed, hardly any kids movies have a G rating anymore, whereas when I was a kid (late 80s, early 90s) I'd guess it was 50% G and 50% PG.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I am sorry to say but its a different world these days. Moves that when I was a kid that were rated R are now PG-13, and the PG-13 movies are now PG. Is this wrong? Not in my opinion, unless it was G.

So many parents try to shelter their kids from real life and then wonder why all of these kids are "antisocial". Maybe if they were able to see how people really act, instead of a forcing them to believe a fake facade of lies as presented in most younger children movies, they would be more ready to face the world that is ahead of them - a cruel and unforgiving world. As much as I would rather have it not be so negative, it is.

Now, childrens movies do have their place and honestly I can say at twenty four [24] years old, I enjoy them still. Finding Nemo is one of my favorite movies.

Remember when Bra commercials were forced to be shot with the women wearing a undershirt on? Now anywhere you look the women are half naked with their milk jugs popping out all over the place - yet people complain about a PG movie?

What about the news? When do you ever see good news on the news? rarely. Most of it is murders, rapes, robberies, car jackings, and other extremely violent crimes. But this is the world we live in, and if I had children, I would want them to know what to expect - to be street smart and know how to recognize a bad situation when you are in one.

Dont blame behavior on movies, blame it on the parenting and lack of discipline.

join