It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepare for the Worst, Because Solar Storms Are About to Get Ugly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Wired.com

Every 11 years or so, the sun gets a little pissy. It breaks out in a rash of planet-sized sunspots that spew superhot gas, hurling clouds of electrons, protons, and heavier ions toward Earth at nearly the speed of light. These solar windstorms have been known to knock out power grids and TV broadcasts, and our growing reliance on space-based technology makes us more vulnerable than ever to their effects. On January 3, scientists discovered a reverse-polarity sunspot, signaling the start of a new cycle — and some are predicting that at its peak (in about four years) things are gonna get nasty.

Ok, so it has started on January 3 and it's gonna peak in about four years. If it's just the solar storm, things might not be that bad. But combine it with the weakening of the earth magnetic field, it could turn nasty to rotten.

PBS NOVA

By examining pots from prehistory to modern times, geologist John Shaw of the University of Liverpool in England has discovered just how dramatically the field has changed. "When we plot the results from the ceramics," he notes, "we see a rapid fall as we come toward the present day. The rate of change is higher over the last 300 years than it has been for any time in the past 5,000 years. It's going from a strong field down to a weak field, and it's doing so very quickly."

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
In four years it will 2012
Cue 7 million 2012 doomsday people to start shouting 'I TOLD YOU , I TOLD YOU'

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I'm sorry Jazzy. No offense to you but the wired story is just a horrible story. The last solar cycle was weaker than the previous and we went through those just fine. This next solar cycle whenever it starts is expected to be weaker than the previous two. I say whenever it starts because there was I believe only one reverse polarity sunspot and since then all the activity has been still tied to the old cycle. Solar activity has been pretty dead now for over a year. We should have been climbing out of this solar minimum 6 or 7 months ago but it hasn't happened.

The sun could snap out of it tomorrow or in 20 years. You never know when your next solar minimum is going to be another Dalton or even worse Maunder minimum. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You could get the perfect solar storm even during a period of low solar activity. It only takes that one burst to fry our grid. You can guess how many times our grid was wiped out by a solar storm. Zero. For the most part the worst we'll ever get is some interference. No sense in stressing over something you can't control.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
My understanding of the Earth's magnetic field is that the poles may get messed up and move (think of declanation in a compass), and there may in fact be multiple north and south poles BUT the magnetic field will exist nonetheless. I think the situation we might be looking at is aurora borealis in places that don't usually see them.

I researched this a few months back after being alarmed by a similar ATS thread.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
If the low point of this latest solar cycle blasted us with some of the biggest flares ever recorded, what is the high point going to be like. The 5000 year comment caught my eye, since it coincides with the birth of Egypts 1st Dynasty, the founding of earths oldest city, Uruk, the start of the Mayan Calendar, and the start of the Hindu Kali Yuga. It is quite a coincidence that the peak of this cycle would occur exactly when these ancients claimed that there would be a global event, or shift of ages...

Mayans were sunspot cycle fanatics, and recorded the cycles at great lengths. If the sun were to hiccup every 5000 years, causing global mayhem, that would explain alot. We could not be expected to know it is coming when nothing like it has happened in recorded history.
The sun is so much larger than earth, it is logical that its cycles would be much longer too. And as for the post which claimed it will cause nothing more than some slight interference... that theory contains no substance.
I will side with the ancients for now, until I can be shown that present theories are more plausible.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Here is the story (it's basically the same) from NASA's point of view:

Solar Cycle 24 Begins

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Didn't we already know this? The prior solar max... 2001, hence is why 911 took place that year... 11 years before that... 9-11-1990... with the 1st Bush's New World Order speech... followed one year later 9-11-1991 by another NWO referenced speech. This goes along the lines of thought with the Illuminati/NWO/Bohemian Grove/etc... and them following certain timelines/guidelines for their 'rituals.'

No time to dig all that up now... should be common knowledge for most by now anyway.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
I'm sorry Jazzy. No offense to you but the wired story is just a horrible story. The last solar cycle was weaker than the previous and we went through those just fine. This next solar cycle whenever it starts is expected to be weaker than the previous two. I say whenever it starts because there was I believe only one reverse polarity sunspot and since then all the activity has been still tied to the old cycle. Solar activity has been pretty dead now for over a year. We should have been climbing out of this solar minimum 6 or 7 months ago but it hasn't happened.

The sun could snap out of it tomorrow or in 20 years. You never know when your next solar minimum is going to be another Dalton or even worse Maunder minimum. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You could get the perfect solar storm even during a period of low solar activity. It only takes that one burst to fry our grid. You can guess how many times our grid was wiped out by a solar storm. Zero. For the most part the worst we'll ever get is some interference. No sense in stressing over something you can't control.

Umm, yeah.. hate to say it but your information is wrong... the solar cycles are NOT getting weaker.. and im not sure where you get your information BUT, this solar minimum that we are in now has so far produced 2 planet killing blasts. infact, not only were they planet killers, nasa actually had to come up with a new scale in which to measure them as they were freaky big. Thankfully we happened to be on the opposite side of the sun at that time.... oh and not to mention there have been many more, albeit smaller, sunspots.

on coast to coast last weekend, Art was talking to a Major Ed Dames.. not sure what the track record was on this guy but he said some interesting things in reference to the sun.
one of the things is that the sunlight has changed some how.. it's a different UV than back in 1998... and I have to agree to a point... I noticed this last year.. the light/sun seems to have a much hotter color and feel.
another thing he mentioned was with the magnetic field getting a bit weaker, a series of solar flares was to hit us... and one of them will actually make it down to the surface of the earth...

I just thought it was all very interesting stuff..

as for this solar cycle.. it hasn't even started to get warmed up yet.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
pynner... I'm not sure I'd look to Coast to Coast for the latest and most accurate scientific news. Planet killers? Unlikely. Where do I get my information on the solar activity?

www.dxlc.com...

Cycle 21 peaked at 165. Cycle 22 peaked at about 160. Cycle 23 peaked at about 120. Cycle 24 is many months late starting.

You can find really good updates here www.dxlc.com...

Sunspot numbers remain extremely low. The last time the sunspot number went above 30 was April of 2006. The sunspot number has been above 20 just once in the last 2 years (21.4 in November of 2006).

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Coincidental how everything is coming about in the next 4-8 years?

Solar Storms in 2012 . . . the Mayan and Egyptian end of an age . . . the lunar and solar eclipses coinciding with Jewish/Israelite feasts . . . it is all coming together.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The suns rather quiet at the moment, anyone who hasn't got a feed from SOHO should get one, you can see sunpots, and flares as they develop.

Check out the link below it gives you info on the sun during 2003-2005,
I'm not sure about the credibility of this site its the first time I've visited it but the sun info is accurate.

daysaheadnews.com...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
One of the many places I go for the sunspot info and such is here:

www.spaceweather.com...

planet killers unlikely? umm.. yeah well it happened. I mean.. you can keep saying no.. but it happened.

sunspot activity is down, sure.. that doesn't mean the sun stops putting out energy... and really looking at the last 2 years of evidence I don't think is long enough..

as for C2C for all my info.. I didn't say that at all.. I just enjoy the show.. they happened to be talking about this very topic one night.

as someone pointed out, I too find it interesting that everything comes to a head around 2012-2014

I still say the earth gets slapped by a large flare in the next few years and messes things up. remember.. the sun is in a minimum...till it's not anymore..
calm before the storm?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Indy

My concern is not about the end of the world (although it could become a catastrophe for the civilization). It's actually about electronic devices, especially for communication and navigation. I think it's a valid concern and I'm not the only one who has such concern.

NOAA: Sunspot is Harbinger of New Solar Cycle, Increasing Risk for Electrical Systems

“Our growing dependence on highly sophisticated, space-based technologies means we are far more vulnerable to space weather today than in the past,” said Vice Admiral Conrad C. Lautenbacher, Jr., under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator. “NOAA’s space weather monitoring and forecasts are critical for the nation’s ability to function smoothly during solar disturbances.”

Impacts of Space Weather on the Economy

Let me reiterate, it is not just the solar flares, it's also the weakening of the earth magnetic field. If all of the indicators are still within the safe parameters then I have nothing to worry about.

I just hope there won't be any perfect storm. We cannot afford any major problem with our electric supply nor with our communications.

top topics

join