It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural High

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Okay, tonight I will be serious. My list:
~chocolate
~agreement about the charged air before a storm
~I love being outside during the rain. This is such a unique kind of energy, there is not a thing like this combo of air and water...
~the smell of air after it rains. I have always loved this. It is just so clean!!

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I had great sucess achieving natural highs many years ago. This would have been around 1982 and at the time I had been reading several books about self-hypnosis. I used to do this at night as I was laying in bed before I slept.

I would spend 15 minutes or so reaching a very relaxed state. In my mind I would focus on different parts of my body, starting at my feet and gradually working my way up to my head. For example, I would wiggle my toes around a bit as I concentrated on feeling them relax, next, the arches of my feet, then ankles, then calves, and so on until my entire body was in a completely relaxed and comfortable state.

I dont recall the actual training process described in the books but I remember that one of them suggested using a keyword or "trigger" to help induce the state of self-hypnosis. In my case the word I chose to use was "auto-relaxation".

Over the space of several months I went through the process each night until I became very adept at reaching a deep state of relaxation. Once I felt that I was ready, I would say the trigger word to myself and, if succesful, I would immediately feel a subtle tingling sensation all over my body. I did not always feel the sensation, as I was not always succesful at reaching the desired state, but when it WAS succesful, this tingling sensation was my cue that I had been sucessful.

I'm going to go off on a slight tangent here to describe an experience that I often had during these nightly "sessions".

From time to time I would begin to feel a sensation like I was expanding. Like I was expanding at the speed of light for several minutes. Like I was expanding outward to fill the size of the entire universe. I recall that it was a somewhat dizzying feeling, almost disorienting. At some point I would begin to think how large the universe really is (and how small my body was in comparison to this vastness of the universe) almost instantly, I would begin to experience a very intense shrinking/falling sensation, as if I were quickly shrinking from a universal size down to that of an atom. This whole expanding / shrinking sensation would last several minutes and at times I recall it being so intense that I became nauseauous.

I wish I could better put the experience into words because it was truly an amazing feeling, but it is difficult to describe. I suppose it is just one of those things that words are inedaquate to describe. I've no idea if the experience was profound in some way, just that it was quite amazing and I tried to acheive the state quite often because it was just so mind blowing.

At some point I decided to experiment with making myself feel "high" in the absence of any drugs. My reasoning was that if my mind had experienced a drug, then it would be able to re-create the physical sensations of it and thus "trick" me into feeling the effects. At the time I focused only on marijuana.

I would go through the relaxation process and when ready, would spend a few minutes remembering what the sensations of the drug were like. I would tell myself that upon saying my "trigger" word that I would immediately begin to feel the effects. Over time, I became quite adept at reaching this state of "natural high". It was quite pleasant to lie there in that heightened state of mind and just ponder whatever crossed through my thoughts. The feeling was limited to my self-hypnosis session however, if I arose from the bed the sensation would cease altogether.

There was one time that I took the experiment a bit too far. I had focused on all the mind altering substances I'd ever experimented with and my intention was to feel all of them at once. When I said my trigger word, I was immediately overcome with naseua. I had to run for the bathroom where I lost my dinner so to speak. As I recall, that was the end of those experiments, though I still continued with the relaxation sessions.

Whether this was really self-hypnosis or was actually a form of meditation, or something similar, I don't know. These things all kind of blend together when you look at the similarities between many of them. I think many processes only truly differ in the various names which they are called.

The mind is a very powerful thing though, that I do know. I still meditate from time to time, but I've not felt that expanding/shrinking sensation in many, many years. Perhaps I will try to get back into that state mind over the next few months just to see if I can still reach it...

Thanks for asking about this topic, it gave me a chance to think about something that I have not thought about in a very long time.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
when i dont eat for 2 days straight, i get this crazy energy .. like i am superman, and can go for very long periods of work or exercise, not that i do, i just feel that way.

but i dont normally go without eating for 2 days straight anymore, unless i become terribly sick to the stomach or digestive system, and then ill take vitamins, drink lots of fluid, and vitamin enhanced drinks.

but yes, fasting produces an energy buzz, after the "hunger pains" go away. maybe its the hunger pains triggering endorphins? or maybe its your body eating itself that produces some powerful energy? lol.

hey, i have one. when i exercise or work for long periods, i feel the energy high afterward!

but one thing i always wondered, why are opiates so much BETTER than endorphins? or .. different at least? Endorphins give you a clear-headed, energy feeling, light almost. Opiates give you a sedated, euphoric, sit-on-your-bum-like-a-slug-doing-nothing-and-loving-it type of buzz, one which you can "accidently" fall asleep in. I wonder why they are so different?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   

when i dont eat for 2 days straight, i get this crazy energy .. like i am superman, and can go for very long periods of work or exercise, not that i do, i just feel that way.

So do I. I can absolutely vouch that's true!
(Although it may not happen to everyone.)

I usually have a 40 day fast (during Lent - of course :-), and after the first two or three days not only the hunger disappears but there is this incredible, euphoric increase of mental and physical energy. (It's not just perception: it is very real, as experience has shown me. I feel not only more motivated but physically enabled to do things that require more force than usually.)

I don't think it has anything to do with endorphins, though.
If endorphins were to take the merit for it (as a countermeasure against "severe distress" - that's how a dork of a doc once tried to explain it away, without presenting any evidence that fasting IS a "severe distress" in the first place), wouldn't it make sense, then, that a severe headache or toothache would also turn into a sustained blissful experience, even faster than a fast? :-)

And it doesn't matter, anyway.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   

~I love being outside during the rain. This is such a unique kind of energy, there is not a thing like this combo of air and water...
~the smell of air after it rains. I have always loved this. It is just so clean!!

Oh yeah!

I would only add a powerful gust of a warm SW wind to the first combo - that would make it paradise!

But, as fun as this is, I don't think these things are inherently euphoria-inducing for everyone.
Or maybe they are, only some people have been taught to fear the rain and storms...?
No, probably not.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   

And the wind before some storms, also has this affect on me as well. While the trees are swaying and the weather is still warm, that the cool drops don't send you running for the house. Instead you just stand there and experience it.

While I was in Las Vegas (just last week), I got this feeling one night, walking back to our Hotel. It was a warm night, probalby plus 25*C or so, much cooler than in the day. We were walking over the Pedway to the MGM Grande, and there was this huge amount of Wind full of Energy and I just had to stop and "Be" in the wind. It was amazing.

If there is a powerful S or SW wind outside, I actually have (well, choose) to stop whatever I am doing and go outside for a walk, although "standing in it" is my preferred position, too.
(It's just that it's awkward to be standing still in urban environments, with other people around - not that I haven't done that, too! :-))

And the description of the wind before a storm...

Absolutely!

I am sorry for carrying on replying to everyone who happens to share "my favourite things", but it's just that so seldom I find people who do share THESE things.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099

Any ideas on the cause?

Relief from tension (relaxation), oxygen, water, n-ionized-air, break of routine, shift of perspective, energy, mind-associations-with-certain-stuff, imagination.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

1982? Its about time to re-fresh your memory isnt it

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Supernatural High? Seems to me it is exactly that. There is a neuro wiring in the brain towards the survival instinct. Our minds tend to want to pay attention to this as we have been in little jams here and there and it seems that would keep us from them and ultimatly safe.

One decides how they will feel, every minute of every day. If you feel bad that is what you decided and your body is letting you know it is there for you regardless. If you feel good the body also follows along. If you feel supernaturaly high it is also following the cue. Every aspect is affecting the chemical soup in your blood to give the corresponding reactions.

The final answer is you choose to feel ecstasy. As indicated certain cues can bring this on but those cues were also chosen by you.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
NATURAL HIGH
1:Endomorphin rush after doing some exercise or sex.
2:Scuba diving at night and switching your torch off

ENHANCED HIGH
1:Floating in an Alpha state, induced via autohypnosis, or basic physical/mental relaxation techniques (see Jose Silva mind control excellent!)

EXTRA ENHANCED HIGH
1:Going lucid in a dream and the first euphoria rush.
2: Seeing an event actually occur that you have been previously visualizing / afirming for a set period of time (very uplifting indeed!)
3: Best of all, OBEing (very rarely for me unfortunately but fantastic when it does happen)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
Hi All.

I'm looking for input on people's views of the so-called Natural High. What have been your experiences? Is there some set of circumstances that you know will lead you to a non-chemical state of ecstasy? Have you ever had a totally inexplicable elevation in your mood? What causes someone to make the leap from happiness to ecstasy without any chemical aids?

------->naturally high

ecstatic awakening,

feeling of euphoria sometimes brought on by music, or the beauty of creation,

True it is natural brain chemistry.

Prayer, meditation, sex, sometimes looking at a weed growing through a crack in the pavement, who knows.

I know it doesn't happen enough.

[edit on 103131p://bFriday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Yea, what is it about storms?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Nice thread.. I have never had a chemical enduced high..I avoided drugs in younger years. I guess I have been "drunk" at least by state definition. A couple times when jogging I experienced the "Runner's High".

www.lehigh.edu...

For me it took close to an hour..

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
We are Bio-plasmic Ma Ta Ur (matter) conscious entities. Chemicals are just a part of the elemental substance that is part of what brings our consciousness into expression in this body. How to you get into bliss and naturally high. The answer is simple, it's not babies, food, drugs, hugs, etc. Understand where your power is. Don't search for the answers and become a Human Doing (means to an end routine). You are a Human BEING. So what does that process look like for bliss? Be bliss/love. How? By choosing. That's it. Being in bliss is a choice. How do you choose this if you have forgotten or become blocked? Spend 5 minutes, 10 minutes, hours, loving yourself. Set aside some time each day and lie down or get quiet and be with Who You Are. Bliss is just the feeing of being in love with yourself. For those that think that is silly, well they do not know Who They Are, and that is why it sounds strange. Tell me....how can you love another or love anything for that matter without Being Love yourself? If you were not Love, then you could not access that energy/consciousness or E-motion (electromagnetic motion) to resonate in relationship to someone or something. True bliss is a Unified Field consciousness. A unified field consciousness is a consciousness that is in Co-Resonance with all frequencies. This Co-Resonance is Love. This resonance is indeed explainable by Science. It has to do with the intrinsic code that all things are formed from that allow interconnectedness and full knowing of All that is at the Subjective level and Objective level.

Here's a test if you are open enough to be in bliss or if you need to do some self healing and spend some time with yourself. Go look in the mirror and look into your eyes and say "I love you" "I love you fully" I'm in love with you." Now if you feel silly or dont feel what you are saying or detect any resistance mentally or emotionally, that is showing you your FEAR and that you do not know Who You Are or What you are. Want to be God Conscious and be in At-Onement bliss? Face your FEAR...literally in the mirror. That is the starting point. Do this often and also spend time with your eyes closed relaxing and loving yourself beyond resistances, and fear, anger etc. and you will get to a space that feel brand new to you..when in fact you just Forgot long ago..it was stuffed away and blocked by Fear programs and other energetic distortions you took on both consciously and unconsciously.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
After every trainingsession in martial arts i feel extrem happy and clear, an mostly a bit bruised

sometimes I try to stay awake a whole night without the use of any drug, well maybe a little coffee should be okay and the next day I'm not even very tired beside some phases. most of the time I feel a little stupid and slow but everything is extremely funny. It's even more fun wenn you are with another person who who hasn't slept too.

I understand Meditation as a form on natrual high though i haven't experienced any form of deep meditation yet.

And then there is Sex, love to get high on this one

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Some states we dont even have words for yet...

I agree with the poster who talks about rain. I love being in the woods when it rains. The smell is amazing. Or swimming pools when it rains.

Also...I agree with the other poster who mentions lucid dreams. There´s a special and sweet state of lucidity that is indescribable. Better than sex, food, money...better than anything.

How to get into this specific lucid dream state? I have no idea. But it exists.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
How to get into this specific lucid dream state? I have no idea. But it exists.

Agreed. I've become lucid in dreams a number of times but the realization of being concious within the dream and the exitement it causes invariably wakes me up. So frustrating...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Vanitas

Yea, what is it about storms?

Oh goody - I get to talk some more about storms (while listening to one brewing right now)!

The electrical charge is surely the most important element - after all, we are electrical beings. :-)

But to me personally, it also has to do with the way how nature just takes over and shows WHO is Da Boss, from time to time.

I think that's part of the magnificence and exhilaration of storms and powerful winds.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Its not just lucid dreaming though but a specific far-out-enlightened state within SOME lucid dreams...ever experience that special soft euphoria?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Haha. There is no such thing as a drug. And to prove my point, chocolate was a drug when 1st discovered. So drugs are just somethin authority says is bad cause they don't want people buzzed walkin around. There is no high on life, unless ur on top of a mountain, and then its really just lack of oxygen.

Haha my security word to post this was "northwoods", f'n government

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join