It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone is born a Democrat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm a Republican. To be specific, im a Constitutionalist in the Republican party.

Many of my friends vote for Democrats in Presidential elections. I converse with them to understand what it is that makes them support the Democrats and not any other party.

The answers vary, but all have one common similarity, they want to be taken care of by the government. IE health care, Educational expenses, welfare, social security etc.

This made me look at who they were and what life style traits they had in common.

The thing I discovered is they had all not spent much if any time supporting them selves. They were all either fully supported by parents or spouses or they had been so poor they relied on the services the government offered to them to compensate for the poverty they were in.

My self, I left home at the age of 19 to join the Navy. I worked hard to make rank and earn more money to pay the bills and make my way in this world.

This is when it became clear to me that the people I know who were Republicans all had similar stories to my own. The fought hard to break free from the financial support they had from their parents and became self supporting. This action gave them a sense of individual freedom and responsibility that for some reason my Democrat supporting friends simply did not show in their actions or personality. My Republican friends were also what could be described as leaders. They often were in management positions and were the type of people that many would hope to see at a party and have a conversation with. My democrat friends seemed to fit into the follower category where they held jobs that didn't seem to have career building opportunities and would be the person often seen looking for advise and guidance.

So my thought process is the second your born you rely on others for your survival. As you get older you have door number one or door number two, depending on your choice you can either take the easy way that would allow you to maintain some type of support, thus keeping you dependent on others and remaining a democrat, or you can take chances and seek personal gain through personal freedom and responsibility and become what would be described a republican.

I don't see all people as Republicans or Democrats, but I do see all people in 2 categories as leaders and followers. The Leaders can of course be democrats however the dependency on others still remains because of the moral views, and even a leader can have a follower mentality in the way the teach others to be.

Thanks

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This does seem to be a common thread between the majority of the people. I have friends that are staunch Democrats and they all want gov supported programs Vs personally supported programs of my Republican friends. As for myself, I have always been a Republican and left home at an early age. Have traveled the world, lived in several different countries and rely completely on myself for support.

As for the Independents they seem to want a middle ground or third option which does have its merits if your of that mindset.

Retired once already and gave it up and went back to work. I'll retire the day I die and accept no gov handouts. So I guess there is a fundamental difference between the Democrat and the Republican.

It should be noted that this is not a political party designation but a mindset.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I don't agree I think the division of parties was supposed to go deeper than what you 2 are saying. With all due respect I feel you're biased ignorant and embellishing. Seriously no disrespect I'm ignorant of a lot to due with politics and the different parties I'd be biased too if I chose one or the other.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

What makes you think that everyone is a Democrat, As a *snip* you wouldn't know that there are people, countries and places outside of the USa that have no political relation the political system in Amerika. Wake up and look beyond your narrow minded self. *snip*

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I guess the Follower vs Leader is the part people would have trouble with accepting. Especially if they fall into the follower category.

In Countries outside the US, the political names are different, so I suppose labeling a follower a Democrat is not fair. However in the US the party names and requirements of being labeled in that party are clearly defined.

The other night I was talking with a person I had just met. I went on about ending the war, and talked about the unconstitutional actions the current Republican White house has carried out. The person I was speaking to, said, "I can't decide if you are a liberal or a conservative." I said to him, i'm a strict constitutionalist, which is conservative. I went on to explain my theory on Leaders and Followers, and he commented that he was a Republican. I told him that by blindly following the tides created by any President makes you a follower. As he had been defending the actions of the White house and the war they created based off the threat of terror.

To my surprise the conversation we were having which had started out as a disagreement on current policy turned into a complete agreement on the side I had been arguing. The shift in thinking came when he realized in order to be a Republican, he needed to be a leader and not a follower. Even if you are 100% supportive of your party affiliation, you can not accept for truth everything you are told. It is contrary to a government that is supposed to be scrutinized and regulated by its citizens. Other wise it is a dictatorship.

So, if you are labeling your self a Democrat or a Republican and you don't like the label attachment that goes along with it (Follower or Leader) then you are in need of reflecting on that party affiliation.

new topics

top topics

join