It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT: Genetically Engineered Sugar to Hit U.S. in 2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

ALERT: Genetically Engineered Sugar to Hit U.S. in 2008

salsa.democracyinaction.org

American Crystal, a large Wyoming-based sugar company and several other leading U.S. sugar providers have announced they will be sourcing their sugar from genetically engineered (GE) sugar beets beginning this year and arriving in stores in 2008. Like GE corn and GE soy, products containing GE sugar will not be labeled as such.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I've not read enough about GE foods to be completely stressed about this but I do wish they would not be so quick to rush into it headlong. On the Monsanto side, I do know that they are causing havok with the smaller farmers who are struggling to stay afloat. I do find it interesting that Hershey's is against this move.

This is the first I've heard about GE sugar in 2008 though. Anyone else have information about this?

salsa.democracyinaction.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
The sky is falling down! The sky is falling down!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 29/5/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
The sky is falling down! The sky is falling down!

I would like to speak my mind about this statement which I am seeing too often on more forums that I frequent, but Courtesy Is Mandatory here.

Originally posted by SystemiK
I've not read enough about GE foods to be completely stressed about this but I do wish they would not be so quick to rush into it headlong.

As far as I can tell, most of the GE foods are modified to resist a herbicide called Roundup. Also, in the article it states that:

In addition the European Union has not approved GE sugar beets for human consumption.

While on Wikipedia and Sugar Producer Magazine it states that:

Sugar from the biotechnology-enhanced sugarbeet has been approved for human and animal consumption in the European Union. This action by the EU executive body allows unrestricted imports of food and feed products made from (H7-1) glyphosate-tolerant (Roundup Ready) sugarbeets. Wikipedia - Sugarbeet

WASH D.C.-The Sugar Industry Biotech Council is very pleased with the announcement by the European Union (EU) to formally approve the importation of sugar, pulp and molasses and products containing these ingredients for food and animal feed from biotechnology-enhanced sugarbeets. Sugar Producer Magazine - EU Approval of Roundup Ready Sugarbeet Attributed to Markwart

I am not sure the effects, if any, of these modified foods on the human body, but I have often avoided consuming them when possible. I also do not approve of Monsanto's practices, for the sake of example, pushing to have dairies who do not add artificial growth hormones to their milk to cease labeling them as such. I wonder if there are alternatives to sugar or a sweetener than simply from beets such as Stevia.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Alexi Humi]

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Alexi Humi]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
The majority of us have been eating GE food for years without any problems, especially here in Britain. As long as they go through the proper channels and are checked for anything harmful i don't see the problem.

You can always go organic!

Chris.

top topics

join