It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An example of profits coming before the safety of US troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

The water pump was not properly grounded, and when he turned on the shower, a jolt of electricity shot through his body and electrocuted him January 2.

Army documents obtained by CNN show that U.S.-paid contractor Kellogg, Brown and Root (KBR) inspected the building and found serious electrical problems a full 11 months before Maseth was electrocuted.

Source

This is beyond shameful that's about all I can say without getting a warn . Before I read this article I would have just had a laugh at such a prospect of ever happening. But such is lack of maturity amongst the supporters of capitalism that the lack of oversight has lead to events such as this one .

Before anyone goes there supporting the fight against Islamic extremism isnt the same as supporting the ramp tent corruption and conflict of interests that exist on the US political scene .

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It's spelled P R I V A T I Z A T I O N. It's when yu fall for the notion that GOVERNMENT cannot do anything right and ONLY private business can do it RIGHT. It's also known as shooting yourself in the foot.

It was not that way until the ADVENT of Neo Con Guru Ronald Reagan and his oh so simplistic but so unwise philosoply that "Government BAD, Private GOOD."

We know how to do things RIGHT, but we are deceived.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Don you have also overlooked other issues in order to purely ramp out your anti Reagan views . There is the following issues the all professional military lacks the manpower of a conscript force . The second issue is Bush poor leadership has lead the US military being overstretched and arguable to near breaking point . Due to the fact the US military should remain a direct arm of the US government the private sector has no business in having such a wide spread role in the workings of the US military .

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

posted by xpert11
The second issue is Bush poor leadership has lead the US military being overstretched and arguable to near breaking point . Due to the fact the US military should remain a direct arm of the US government the private sector has no business in having such a wide spread role in the workings of the US military .

Maybe you are right, Mr X11. Maybe my problem is that I was there at the beginning. Maybe that is why I am ill-disposed towards elite units. SAC - the Strategic Air Command - was the elite unit of the Air Force. Gen. Curtis E .Lemay. As part of an incentitive to get the best in the AF to seek to be part of SAC, he managed to get the Food Service Squadrons to hire local civilians to do the Kitchen Police - KP - duty that normally fell to the Lower 3 grades of EM to do. E1 to E3.

That was not entirely novel. All Air Force bases outside the US used local civilians in that task as well as others, such as policing the grounds of the Air Base. Inside the US - called the Zone of Interior - ZI - already NCO Clubs where many upper grades (E5 to E9) ate at subsidized prices - and always the Officers Clubs - also subsidized - had employed civilian workers to do the all manual labor.

The word soon spread among the AF’s lower ranks that the much dreaded KP duty (usually once every 6-8 weeks) was no longer required in the SAC. That had the desired effect. About the same time - mid 1950s - The ATC - Air Training Command - was having trouble retaining instructors and so, they adopted the same program of replacing military with civilians in the Food Service.

Unfortunately it was an historical miscasting of jobs that led to this. Every soldier and airman wants to eat 3 meals a day. Feeding the troops is one of the most important jobs in the military. But somehow the job of Food Service was denigrated and misfits were put into those units. Promotions were slow. Morale was poor to bad. One bad decision on top caused more disenchantment at the bottom which in turn justified - in the leaders minds - their earlier decision to use Food Service an Motor Pools - mainly truck drivers - as a catch-all for otherwise non functional men. Well, I hope you can see the history of this. Mixing military and civilians.

I believe our total military personnel numbers 1.3 million. To get done all those chores we now “outsource” would require another 300,000 men (and women). If we paid them on average $30,000 per year, that would be less than $10 billion a year. Add a like sum for their fringe benefits, housing and clothing and I see a trivial expense item of $20 b. a year to go back to doing it the OLD WAY. Under the OLD WAY, the military commanders have DIRECT control over the performance of the soldiers under them. And more important they have DIRECT responsibility for getting the job done right!

When you try something and it does not work, then you need to quit that and try another thing.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Don a part of my reply goes off topic so I sent it to your inbox . I think that the private sector has to play a very limited role in small professional all volunteer military such as the NZDF. Let me explain and give an example the NZDF often charters airlines to fly troops to the area of operations or at least a part of the way . This is a long way from the private sector feeding troops , housing them and having mercenary's who are accountable to no one running around . Ultimately all of this shows what poor leadership can lead to at the top.

Side Note : It is likely that the five C-130 the RNZAF operates would either be insufficient to fill the transport role outlined above or they would not be free to do other things . The NZDF has recently been granted a ten percent pay rise to help with recruitment and retention. This is a much better investment then having the private sector running wild.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by xpert11]

top topics

join