It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

significant H2O seepage/flow in heimdall crater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I read somewhere that one of the mission objectives is to see if subsurface ice ever turns liquid at the martian north pole?

Are they kidding? I can clearly see significant water seepage/flow on the right side of heimdall crater. Its right there on the surface. Its soaking wet. I see it even without manipulating chromaticity. What gives?

high resolution

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Wait a goshdarned minute - that looks an AWFUL lot like this. Are we possibly a little confused here?

[edit on 28-5-2008 by disownedsky]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Nice catch disowned. It sure does look similar. The inset pic in the op is not identical to yours, but I'd be comfortable calling it the same object.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by disownedsky
reply to post by reject

Wait a goshdarned minute - that looks an AWFUL lot like this. Are we possibly a little confused here?

[edit on 28-5-2008 by disownedsky]
I am confused how again?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
My point is that the object in the crater may not be in the crater. Look at at the NASA file name.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 29-5-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by disownedsky

My point is that the object in the crater may not be in the crater. Look at at the NASA file name.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 29-5-2008 by 12m8keall2c]
If you mean the phoenix lander, No. It was still on its way down in the picture

Phoenix appears to be parachuting into a giant crater, but it's only an optical illusion - the lander was actually 20 km in front of the crater when the image was taken (Image: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona)
new scientist

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Soaking wet... not obvious. Maybe it was, a long time ago, and we see million year old mineral deposits.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

That is exactly what I mean, and I have since confirmed that this is the Phoenix lander descending with the crater in the far background. It's just a perceptual illusion that it's on the crater wall.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
i would think your referencing the dark areas on the walls of the crater?

to me the soil at the top of the crater looks darker than the soil of the walls, it's possible that the soil slipping down the walls made this mark, or it might be glass from the impact of whatever caused the crater in the first place although more than anything else, your right, it does look wet. i'ld imagine thats the reason nasa picked this area to land.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I don't think the OP was talking about the craft at all, since he focuses on the right side of the crater.

But, just because the ground is a different color, does not mean liquid water is present. Water..if present..(I hope it is) would be below the surface, liquid water cannot exist on the surface of Mars.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Isn't it far to Cold for water to be liquid on the surface? Water freezes at 32 Degrees F.

top topics

join