It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematicians Reveal Secrets Of The Ancient And Universal Art Of Symmetry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Mathematicians Reveal Secrets Of The Ancient And Universal Art Of Symmetry

www.terradaily.com

Humans have used symmetrical patterns for thousands of years in both functional and decorative ways. Now, a new book by three mathematicians offers both math experts and enthusiasts a new way to understand symmetry and a fresh way to see the world.

In The Symmetries of Things, eminent Princeton mathematician John H. Conway teams up with Chaim Goodman-Strauss of the University of Arkansas and Heidi Burgiel of Bridgewater State College to present a comprehensive mathematical theory of symmetry in a richly illustrated volume. The book is designed to speak to those with an interest in math, artists, working mathematicians and researchers.

"Symmetry and pattern are fundamentally human preoccupations in the same way that language and rhythm are. Any culture that is making anything has ornament and is preoccupied with this visual rhythm," Goodman-Strauss said.

"There are actually Neolithic examples of many of these patterns. The fish-scale pattern, for example, is 22,000 years old and shows up all over the world in all kinds of contexts."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
COOL!!!

I am going to have to look these books up.

I am immediately reminded of two classics on the subject.

On Growth and Form, and

Patterns in Nature.

www.terradaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright In the forests of the night. What Immortal hand or eye Could frame thy fearful symmetry? -- William Blake

The Book - Fearful Symmetry -- by A. Zee...... an excellent read, and explores some of the parallels between physics and ..... beauty.

Another: The Dancing Masters of Wu Li -- by Gary Zukav, viewing myticism through the veil of quantum physics. (IMO) As I recall, the Chinese phrase Wu Li can be interpreted a variety of ways, depending upon context. Can be "beauty" or "physics" or, my favorite, "patterns of organic energy." sweeeeeet

join