It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunkin Donuts Pulls Ad Featuring Rachael Ray In A Scarf That Looks Too Arab

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

HUH?

Its more like bowing down to right wing fear mongering.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

See, now that's a completely different subject. Freedom of speech protected and worked for both Whoopie and Slim Fast in that situation. Whoopie faced no retalliation from the government for her comments about the president, while Slim Fast practiced it's first ammendment rights by choosing not to retain a spokesman that didn't fit the image they were trying to portray, also while facing no retalliation from the government for the dismissal. Same as radio stations choosing not to play Dixie Chicks music. That freedom allows you to not play or support opinions that disagree with yours just as much as it allows the people holding those views to share them with whomever they choose.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Well I'm tired of this offends me and that offends you poo! I know some things should stay in a persons mind, but to be offended or to think they will be offended by that ad is ridiculous and that company doesn't deserve to be allowed to do anymore ads if they are that scared!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Well I agree with that.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
An Arab woman doesn't show her face " does she? " In my honest opinion, women are to beautiful to be hidden from the human race. They are look at me humans who want to be noticed and if their man can't handle that then I guess he'll strap a bomb to a kid and tell him they will be delivered to 72 virgins if they kill the people who look at their woman.

If someone isn't looking at my woman then I need a new woman.
But then again beauty is on the inside more than anywhere else.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

In the ad, Ray is wearing a scarf that Michelle Malkin said in her nationally syndicated column resembled a kiffiyeh, Middle Eastern garb that is "popularized by Yasser Arafat and a regular adornment of Muslim terrorists appearing in beheading and hostage-taking videos."

Well now, if it were a BAGEL she were promoting......maybe.

But donuts? I realize ads are getting way out there and sometimes you can't even determine what they are promoting, but someone really has to have an eagle eye and one track mind to single out an accessory in a commercial to complain about.

Ms Malkins column will be around a lot longer and was lot more damaging in it's content, than any 30 second donut spot.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I don't know why you keep bringing up Arabs and Muslims... this thread is not about them... its about loons like the ones who pushed this whole non issue to begin with.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Have a donut and a smile?

And peace?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
You are all missing the bigger picture here.

Notice how that scarve delineates a seperation between her head and her body? Did you think that this was inconsequential? Do you see that statue on the building in the background?

The one with a man HOLDING AN AXE while gazing in her direction?

Dunkin Donuts is using this thinly veiled ad to suggest the BEHEADING of "murderous palestinian jihadists". This is an OUTRAGE. We need that statue taken down immediately lest any women in ornately decorated scarves might feel threatened, and we need to bring charges against Dunkin Donuts for hate crimes!

Sorry for taking my example to such an extreme but it illustrates how ridiculous this whole issue and others like it can get. Sometimes it seems that people will pull insults out of thin air in their efforts to find something to be offended about.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Grover, Ms. Malkin did Ms. Ray a fashion favor. I mean, like, even intrepid said that his grandmother wore one. The similar one I have has been somewhere on my closet shelf for 10 years. I like Rachel Ray, and maybe the scarf just should have been photoshopped out. Maybe, grover, Ms. Malkin is not a wacko, maybe she just has a hard time being discrete about a friend's fashion faux pas.

Anyway, I certainly will not buy any of those Dunkin...what are they?...Dunkin Falafels! Well, maybe I'll try one, now that they've proven their patriotism by pulling that ad. But they'd better not try anymore stuff like this, promoting murderous Palestinian jihad! Why, this is America! Who do they think they are?!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

I don't know why you keep bringing up Arabs and Muslims... this thread is not about them... its about loons like the ones who pushed this whole non issue to begin with.

Then read your own thread headline

Dunkin Donuts Pulls Ad Featuring Rachael Ray In A Scarf That Looks Too Arab

[edit on 5/28/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Because that is what Ms. Malkin claimed.

Not because any Arabs or Muslims brought it up.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
This is one of those stories that is so exquisitely stupid that I find it absolutely captivating.

For one thing, I've read several different news reports about this, and not one of them even attempts to explain what makes that scarf a "keffiyeh" and not just a "scarf". What ever happened to jounalists researching their subject before reporting? It's not on her head and it doesn't have any of the usual patterns, so I would have to say it's definitely not a "keffiyeh".

Furthermore, the abscence of any of the news outlets even mentioning the possiblity that this is not an actual "keffiyeh" is so bizzarre that I am forced to entertain the possibility that there is some sort of vast right wing conspiracy to discredit Rachel Ray. Because ingnorance, stupidity and incompetence themselves cannot explain this.

But isn't Rachel Ray just a TV chef? I didn't realize she was such a political figure!

I could go on, but this story is so incredibly stupid to the point of being bizzarre on so many levels that it just leaves my mind reeling. I need to do my best to stop thinking about it now.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by phl0gist0n]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

I couldn't agree more! I have to admit, I had read this story two times over when I first read it from another source - I just couldn't work out where the story was!

It's actually a very popular scarf in Australia, it goes by the name 'dessert scarf'. I mean, it's not like she's all wrapped up in full head gear and carrying a grenade launcher or katyusha rockets.

But it was all in the scarf. Stupid me

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
It could be she's a radical muslim sympathizer. I saw her cook a Falafel and Couscous once...

LOL I hope that's a joke. Couscous is nice, so of course she would cook it at one time.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
An Arab woman doesn't show her face " does she? " In my honest opinion, women are to beautiful to be hidden from the human race. They are look at me humans who want to be noticed and if their man can't handle that then I guess he'll strap a bomb to a kid and tell him they will be delivered to 72 virgins if they kill the people who look at their woman.

If someone isn't looking at my woman then I need a new woman.
But then again beauty is on the inside more than anywhere else.

Ummm what? You are either highly ignorant, or just trying to attract attention.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Why would wearing one of those scarves be a slight to Muslims?

Because everything we do is a slight against Muslims...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Well a lot of people do own these Arab Scarfs - Keffiyeh or Shemags - and they are not Muslim. I own a few of them and I am not Muslim. I have several friends who own them, and they are not Muslim. I see a lot of people here in my city, who wear them (and obviously own them) and they do not look Muslim. Hey - even David Beckham and Colin Farrel wear them, and they are really not Muslim. So, what is the problem here?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
So, what is the problem here?

I think the answer is Media.

Not a one liner now is it? Or maybe it is? hmmmmm I'm not sure.
I think it's up to debate, nah actually it is most definitely not a one liner now!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Things are really becoming ridiculous. Next they'll be burning any movie that has a girl coming out of a shower with towel around her head because it looks like turban...

Its like here in Australia....people from other religions want Christmas removed from our holidays because it doesn't fit into their beliefs. It's a Multicultural country, not a "we change Australia to suit yours".

Anyway, back on topic....

How far will it go before we have no freedom to do anything because it may offend someone somewhere?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join