It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Happening~M. Night Shyamalan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
According to the 'green effect' topic here in the movies forum, MNS has been working on this idea for some time, so i doubt he stole it off ATS

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
OK...

So I went to see the movie last night with the b/f and a friend.

AWESOME. The subtly he uses to get a message across is amazing (and yes there is a message in this movie. If you missed it, it is because you were too busy bitching about M. Night).

This is a movie that you cannot tell someone why you hate it/love it without giving information that will spoil the movie. It is subtle and yet a smack in the face as well.

For his first R rated movie, he made sure it had some teeth to it and he didn't do bad, imho, with his choice of actors. Only one I did not like was the wife, but I understand her role was written to be the way it was.

He did not use shock and gore techniques to get people into the theater (something I give him props for) and what "gore" was in the movie, he gave plenty of warning was coming (except for like maybe one scene) so those who do not like blood and gore could turn away.

This is a man who is subtle... something this society has managed to learn how to overlook. If you pay attention... you will get the meaning and leave the theater going "holy ****!"

And as a parting thought... for all those who rely on someone's elses opinion to see a movie... stop being SHEEP. If you want to see it, go see it no matter what someone else says. Only you can make your own opinion... no one else.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hey, its got Marky Mark in it, I'm down!

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
**Spoilers**
It's an odd movie, which I'd characterize as a 'reverse zombie flick'.

Groups of people driving and wandering around not sure if they're going to turn into something strange and insane. Some do.

The horror is subtle, but pervasive and you get this claustrophobic feeling due to the scenes and interiors (inside cars and old houses), and the camera work which is up close. You aren't sure if something frightening is going to intrude on the scene at any minute. There also the great feeling of isolation as things break down and people head away from the cities.

There's also a sense that this could happen in reality, at any time, and I wouldn't be surprised if people left the theaters feeling haunted and worried that the Earth could turn on them.

There is a bit of a twist at the end, or more like a surprise which occurs after you think everything is going to be fine.

I'm not sure how he got the movie green-lighted for production, because, though it's definitely a horror film, it doesn't have the blood, the gore or a big baddie. The bad guys is really the wind blowing. Not sure why it got the R-rating, except for a quick scene of gore. Maybe it as a gimmick?

If you're a big fan, sure go see it, but it's not like Signs, lacking the humor and the great interplay of the characters. It does have that M. Night feeling of ethereal creepiness. If you want to read a more-or-less complete synopsis, read it on the IMdB site.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'm not very wordy but I liked this movie.AND for my 2nd sentence I will add that the nachos were good and so was the Dr.Pepper.

Roper

BTW I also saw the Hulk.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe how many people here hate MNS' movies. I mean, if you think you can do a better job, and put depth to a film, be my guest, i'll sit back critique.

The film itself had an intense feel, and it surpassed my expectations!
The score for the flick was just....awsome! And the message it gives, was an eye opener! The Green House Effect?! Hmmn.. I belive that was the original title of the flick, but was too obvious, so he changed the name. It's an original written screenplay, and noone else'. I read some interview he had the idea of the movie while driving under some trees on the side of the road. And thought how quickly Mother Nature can turn disasterous. And it's true!

With one shake, all of humanity and anything else and be wiped off the face of this planet! Why do people not see this. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I believe out planet is alive. I mean, why not. A rock is alive, so is a tree. Everything was alive at one point, so why not the earth itself?

Overall, I give the movie a high rating.

5 pistol slingers out of 5.

:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I saw the movie this weekend and was sorly disappointed. The trailers were the best part of this movie!

To be fair, the first 30-45 minutes were riviting, then.......really?!

Mic booms is shots, poor acting etc. If you like your movies to slowly deflate instead of pop, by all means go see it. Just don't be shocked when you loose your ability to speak, become disillusioned and disoriented, then jump off a building because you wasted you money on this movie!

Great job on marketing though, it made more money than it deserved this weekend just off the trailer.

Fool me once shame on you...(It will be a cold day in @#*& before I go see another one of his movies).

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Saw it, loved it! His last two sucked, but this one was great! Scarey, and his first one rated R.

I suggest go see it. But be like me and expect it to suck like the last 2. Why? It made it even better! Why? Because think about it. People going in to see Indy 4 expected God on Earth and were disappointed. If they had been going in expecting just a movie they would have liked it better. I expected crap like the last two and so was surprised when it was really good.

Scene that I liked best? *SPOLIER!*

Guy drives into Princeton then see all these bodies hanging from the trees.

Also, just the idea that it isn't some crazy guy, or mad scientist, but nature, just, cool. I thought they would have had something to do with bees after mentioning them but they didn't. Oh well.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by Krieger]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I just came from seeing the movie, and I went on half price night..so $4.20.

I think the plot was good, but the acting was not. I truly hate weak attempts at humor in what is supposed to be a scary movie.
My biggest peeve was not with the movie but with
A) The jerk sitting behind me who laughed every time someone killed themselves.
B) The stupid idiotic mother that brought her children who looked to be 6 and 8 respectively, to a 14A movie, where they watched dozens of instances of suicide on a big screen!
WTF?????

" Here's your sign..."
(Think Redneck)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I saw the movie tonight. It was horrible IMO.

Seems like some vein attempt to scare people people into buying into the whole man-made global warming deal. Maybe these thoughts belong on ATS instead of BTS lol.

Did anyone else get this vibe?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
MNS's films have been steadily getting worse . . . i hope it's not another "lady in the water" because that movie was absolutely hideous. If it weren't for the great acting of Paul Giamatti, it might have been one of the worste movies of all time.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

Dude, this movie was so lame, I can't even describe it with words, but I will try.
You can't really spoil this movie because there is no resolution anyways.

Seriously, if you wanna see this movie for free, watch the trailers. They pretty much sum up the whole movie. There's nothing you find out in the movie that you don't find out in the trailers.

Synopsis:

Something starts "happening" to people for no reason. Something stops "happening" to people for no reason. The end.

Sheesh...talk about suspense just for the sake of suspense. Give me a break. This movie made me wanna shoot mark wahlberg in the vag.

There's nothing "happening" in this movie except you putting $10 into Shamalamamalanland's pockets.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I just saw this movie tonight (I'm very slow when it comes to seeing movies).

My.....God.....

HORRIBLE! Just horrible.

The plot idea is a good one, i.e. something causing people to commit suicide. But that's about all that was good about this movie.

The characters were never developed. The cheesy lines and pathetic attempts at humor were too much to deal with. And Jesus H. Christ, the acting. WOW! I've seen a few Mark Wahlberg films and I am shocked at how awful he was in this.

As I was watching this movie, I was searching for some sort of clue that they intentionally made this cheesy, cheap, and horribly acted and scripted. Sadly I could find none. Even as I type this I still am hoping that this movie was more of a crude humor movie than anything.

The movie was the same from beginning to end. Just like I Am Legend, another horrible movie. The "plot twist", if it can even be called that, looked to be nothing more than some Global Warming lecture.

And then the ending? Holy......

No. Just no. That's my response to anyone who is thinking about watching this. Please do not waste your time.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I don't understand why so many people bash on MNS. I really like his movies, all except The Villiage, but that may be because I despise Adrian Brody with a fiery passion. I didn't really like the whole "the elders are doing it" bit either. That was lame. However I liked the movie up to the elder reveal and I think it's still good in terms of social commentary.

I thought Lady in the Water was a good movie too. Funny, not really "scary" but I didn't think it would be.

I absolutely LOVED the happening, I don't understand where you guys are getting that the acting was bad. I'd like some elaboration on that at the very least.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
I don't understand why so many people bash on MNS.

I don't bash on him. I've only seen two of his movies. I think The Sixth Sense is a great movie. One of the best thriller movies of all time. I just happen to think The Happening was pretty awful.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I just felt the characters were really miscast, I just dont buy marky mark as a teacher.

it was a good idea for a movie, i think, maybe...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The Sixth Sense was excellent....since then though, haven't seen a decent MNS flick...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I actually really liked this movie. It had a good message. I wasnt expecting it. People were saying it wasnt worth seeing, and I really think it was. =]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join