It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Universe Small?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Since there are planets and star that are 100 times bigger and 1000+ times bigger than earth.

Isnt it possible that this whole universe and everything that we know may just be a bunch of little paritcles on one huge scaled planet or something?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well depending on how much faith you put in certain aspects of M-Theory, then yes the universe is very small indeed.

For example anthropic string theory estimates 10^500 universes may exist. That's an unimaginably large number.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Rookie

I've always had this theory of a planet being like an atom, a living thing of sort sort or another that works and thrives to keep itself alive. Around us are millions of other atoms, all based around a nucleus (Sun/Star) Giving energy to a universe till it eventually runs out of everything and dies and decays. And how similar that is to our bodies, where atoms hold us together, turn with age and then die killing us as it does so. So I see the universe as a giant body, perhaps like ours, perhaps nothing like ours, that we just happen to be part of.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I have seriously considered it myself, that everything micro goes up into the macro and that life isn't just growing on our level but becoming larger and more complex on each new level. it makes sense when you consider how many billions of small things make up our own bodies and even more sense when you look at people as either builders leaders or viruses or if you look at traffic the way a doctor would look at blood vessels traveling down a vein

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
to answer your question no, the universe is so big you can't even begin to think about it. It is ever-expanding, the only true Infinite.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Ah but if every atom contained a universe it would be small or massive depending on your PERCEPTIONS

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Rookie

Your assumption is as true as the string theory or any other theory.
I can’t stop thinking that if we all existing in some kind of micro world that span the macro universe, which in turn reinforce itself from the micro world, then the existence is truly self regenerated and nothing is at his starting point or finish point. Therefore we have a never ending cycle of cause and effect that are governed by thoughts. Because only thoughts can do that, no other concepts have been shown with this kind of characteristics.
Your question is much more philosophical then actually scientific, for the simple reason that we still learning.

Kacou.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I see what your saying. Like an atom is it's own massive universe. Possibly with life and entities that contain smaller entities and essentially if we were microscopic looking through a microscope it would continue going like a mirror in front of a mirror.
However the universe is supposed to encompass everything right? So say that our galaxy is simply a tiny flake in an ocean on a planet within a galaxy. Well that's all part of The Universe which is all of it, everything to the smallest quark to the the biggest collection of galaxies containing more galaxies that we don't even know about.
At least that's my understanding. So is our universe small? I don't know and I think I grasp what you are saying, I don't think anyone knows. It's annoying when people answer these questions with a straight no, and then give some text book reference as an answer as if it applies.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Zealott]

new topics

top topics

join