It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force Pulls 'Misleading' Space Ad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Air Force Pulls 'Misleading' Space Ad

blog.wired.com

The U.S. Air Force has yanked a controversial television ad, after analysts and former officers complained to DANGER ROOM that the commercial was inaccurate, at best.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This add looks like more of a flexing opportunity for the Military, good publicity or not. Pulling it just gives it more coverage.

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So...it's not enough that we have to worry about the gangs patrolling our neighborhoods, the cholesterol in our food (organic, genetically modifed, or 'two weeks' old), the raising gas prices, the forever imminent terrorist attack, the Patriot Act, bought and paid for doctors who are going to describe that normal behavior and mood fluctuation are in actuality mental disorders, global warming, the social life of Britany Spears and how it will effect the fall TV schedule, cell phone radiation and Avian flu (or mad cow, AIDS, cancer, etc).......

That they had to add the possibility of a rogue nation gaining space capability and targeting American Satellites to disrupt our communications?!?!

I think it would be easier if the bad guys just started using the word "bad" when they mean "good" if our communications was indeed a major obstacle....

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Since when were military ads supposed to be "accurate".

I thought the whole point of them was to appeal to the less realistically inclined.

Peace

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It could have been pulled because the add suggests that the U.S. is actually developing and has space based weapons. Isn't there some treaty or something where countries are not supposed to have space based weapons?

[edit on 28-5-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'd be quite surprised if there wasn't enough firepower up there to destroy the earth yet again. MAD..... gotta make sure you get the last punch.

I just hope if they have a plan in place for when a solar flare takes out all the sattelites and they don't have GPS to help navigate missles to stop all the nuclear toys when they start falling back to the earth. How many are up there again?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
We have space based weapons and we have even used them on our own satellite. If you remember, back a few months ago one of our own satellites orbits was deteriorating and the government said it was important to shoot it down due to the toxic hydrazine on the satellite which could be a hazard if it reenters and falls in a populated area.

It made for quite the discussions here on ATS.
Heres the video clip of the intercept..
www.dodvclips.mil...

Not surprising that since it worked that they would make a TV commercial like this.

But the commercial somehow implies that we have a means of protecting satellites in orbit in the case they would be attacked. How exactly? And how would any satellite, for that matter, be defendible against some kind of attack. It doesn't make sense. And then you have this entire technological platform which is dependant on satellites for communications, GPS navigations, satellite intelligence, everything down to what we see on cable TV. It gives you an idea of the vulnerability we have.

I'm confident that the military can shoot down another satellite, that they have proved. But how CAN you defend a satellite against a supersonic missile? You can't. Not without some other kind of defense network in orbit.

But I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about with the video. The military makes hundreds of these things and decide on a few that end up being seen by the public. It's nice to know that that airman would be sitting at a computer screen watching our satellites blowing up in orbit. Comforting!!

-ChriS

[edit on 28-5-2008 by BlasteR]

top topics

join