It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK to ban cluster bombs - but theres a hitch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

UK to ban cluster bombs - but theres a hitch

news.bbc.co.uk

Britain is to take cluster bombs out of service, Prime Minister Gordon Brown has said.

The announcement came after he said diplomats in Dublin were "very close" to reaching an international treaty banning their use.

Mr Brown called it a "big step forward to make the world a safer place" and said he hoped more states would follow.

But some of the world's main producers and stockpilers - including the US, Russia and China - oppose the move.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a small step in riding the world if vile weapons - but as i said theres a small hitch , as like WP anyone not signing the treaty will continue to use them (WP is against the CCWC when used in shake and bake missions against civilan targets)

but and heres the hitch

www.telegraph.co.uk...

British soldiers fighting alongside American troops in Afghanistan and Iraq would face criminal prosecution if the government goes ahead with plans to sign a treaty limiting the use of cluster bombs, senior US diplomats have warned.

Gordon Brown’s government is on another collision course with the Bush administration because American officials are concerned that the UK may trade expose British troops to possible legal action, to placate critics
of cluster bombs. Mr Brown has already irritated the White House by keeping his distance diplomatically and reducing British troop numbers in Iraq.

the us will not sign it and don`t give a hoot about the uk troops or the world opinion.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

i made a topic about this a while ago
(simmiler) where it was anounced that dumb cluster bombs would be banned
so i guess this is aa step up.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Already a post on this son. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
whilst i appreciate the heads up on the other thread calling me `son`? thats pathetic school playground rubbish

[edit on 28/5/08 by Harlequin]

top topics

join