How Long Do You think We Have?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicstorm

...I feel we dont have long left, i think things are slowly getting worse, so slow we may not even notice, . . .

great thread

My sentiments exactly: Not with a bang, but a whimper

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Buying a little extra each week is a good idea. Buy things you and your son normally eat, that requires little preparation and water. If you buy just 10 to 15 dollars worth of can goods(tinned meats and veggies) a week, in no time you'll have a decent-sized cache to help you through the lean times a head.

...Reality is, that id be facing situation x alone, id be vunerable and terrified for the welfare of my son....
As a single mother, I'd definitely purchase a firearm for defense. If the laws permit, get yourself a 20 gauge. It has little recoil, light ammo, and will make a mess of someone up close and personal.

So im still trying to figure out what i need to read or research in order to better my chances.... survival kits seem expensive, as a single person with only one income, id have to resort to getting lots of loans and maxing out the credit cards!.....so if im honest, i keep putting things off such as stockpiling etc, unfortunately i know thats the worst thing to do because situation x could slap me in the face very soon..... and id be guilty of knowing it was coming, but not doing anything because of money limitations etc...... or do i get in debt to prepare for what may or may not come?
There's really no set answer to your question, but I've posted a few links below to get you started. Learn the basic first though as Agent _T suggested. It's the obvious starting point.

As you see, im in a bit of a no-win situation!
Don't throw in the towel yet! I'm sure you're much more resourceful and capable than you think.

M40's Wilderness Survival Skills
The Top 100 Things to Disappear
The Sarajevo Survival Guide
The Grey Man Strategy
To Bug-in or Bug-0ut
Everyday Survival
Alternatives means of acquirng Survival Gear
Just about everything you could want to know

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

dr_strangecraft,

I read your post awhile back, and it was great as usual. I'd suggest Cosmic read through it as well.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45

M40's Wilderness Survival Skills
The Top 100 Things to Disappear
The Sarajevo Survival Guide
The Grey Man Strategy
To Bug-in or Bug-0ut
Everyday Survival
Alternatives means of acquirng Survival Gear
Just about everything you could want to know

Great link references there Lloyd.
Maybe you should start an 'ultimate survival link reference' thread.
Then as these other threads get seperated you could have one to access them all

Oh yeah.. they don't let us buy 20 guages over here..Yet..

Hence the Compound bow

[edit on 29-5-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I'm not really up on my UK law.. Sorry. So you can't even buy a shot gun with a permit? That bites!

I guess a good bow, a fixed blade hunting knife, a machete, and a spring loaded baton would suffice. Do they have regulations against any of these items?

most of the links are to my own posts, but a quick search will turn up dozens of better ones by other ATS members.

The M40's site is full of good information on survival as well, he's just a bit opinionated.

[edit on 5/29/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

The thing I find most interesting about the survival forum is the apparent lack of interest in it by the majority of ATS members. With all the intelligent, well-informed people who post here, you'd think it would be a hot bed of activity, especially now.

I guess as others have said before, most people rather not think about things like depressions, food shortages, homelessness, etc..

Hindsight is 20/20, just ask one of the thousands of displaced Hurricane Katrina victims. They thought Uncle Sam would take care of them, but he was unfortunately asleep at the wheel..

Then Uncle Sam came and took their guns, and what did they do, they gave them to him? They should have used them in defense of their rights. An officer of the law trying to steal your only means of self defense away is no better than the criminals you originally intended to fend off with said weapons.
I have prepared, and continue to prepare for the worst. I have a survivalist kit packed and ready to go. I have several firearms. I have means for fire. I have means to gather food. I have the knowledge to get water when I need it. Whether things happen that require me to use any of this remains to be seen. But I can assure you that I will not rely on Uncle Sam for anything other than to try and take my rights away.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Thanks for those links, i shall have a good read through them

unfortunately we cannot have guns over here in uk, although if tshtf im sure those laws will not be of any use..

haha i know my post may of sounded a little depressing, but im not! ... it is a daunting thought, but hey, being mentally prepared is surely a plus for me, accepting that something could happen to turn your whole life upside down cant do any harm.... and i have accepted it so hopefully when the time comes, i wont be in any shock because i will have been anticipating such an event.. and i hope by keeping one step ahead of the coming events, ill be able to locate myself somewhere safer and sustainable.... luckily (i feel) i dont own a home, i rent, and have very little attachment to material things which will also go in my favour.... so im quite happy to up and go if need be....

I also really need to learn to put up a tent
everytime we go camping we leave that part to the male members of the family!

...ill get there in the end, someone should start up a survival workshop....or write a 'survival for dummies' book!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
My guess would be within the next couple years. Or right before/after the elections. I noticed someone posted about all the debt we're in. I was talking to someone this morning on a game about that. I'm surprised myself that we haven't hit another great depression already. I need to look around more online for some survival guides. Great thread though.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I'm not in America, so i don't think we are going to be as affected here in Australia. But i think it's going to be a very slow and painful process. Everything these days is a slow and painful process.

I'm not doing anything like stocking up on food etc, i'm just mentally preparing myself and getting ready for anything nasty to come.

Before anything goes tits up there will be wars. When that starts to happen i'll start packing the car and driving to my folks home in the bush.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
How funny you should start this thread yesterday, when for the past week, many conversations among friends and family have shared the same tone and same basic question... How long do we have?

Is it four years and then lights out, or is it going to start this year or next year? How bad will it be and where will it happen... etc, etc...

seems there are always more questions than there are answers...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The term "Go Bag" has been used a lot lately and makes perfect sense.

Simulate total destruction in your head. Imagine you lost everything besides your loved ones. 2 things here...

1) In the go bag put everything you will wish you took. I would consider a nice rugged hockey bag

Old family albums? Better learn to scan and burn to DVD
Documents? PDF, burn to DVD place all of those things in a nice air tight container or mini firesafe and place that in your bag, update it seasonally at least with the latest pics, files etc. In the other half of the bag you have another container or two containing the typical survival aids, radio, communication (an emergency cell, 40 channel citizens band walkie and a small solar energy source for recharging various items wouldn't hurt either as there might be days before others get around to reaching out.

2) Have a plan, a map maybe of a special meeting place in each family members wallet/purse. Redundancy counts here... Make sure ALL adults have their own bag with their own essentials as well as the standards described above. I would also back up any intellectual property if you are a musician, videographer etc etc etc. Collectables become worthless instantly in any nasty situation so count them out. Keepsakes... Are just that, keeping for the sake of it.. Forget em or use them as currency & consider them gifts of life in such a case!

Big thing... Every family member gets a card laminated with their agreed safe zone map, prescription list for whole family, blood type, allergies.

Pretend you are going camping for at least a week but knowing that your house will disappear with all its contents while you are gone. Take the important data, tools, sustenance, maybe even a little low end entertainment... Throw in a portable media/dvd/tv player and a small library of burned seasons. Use your imagination!

Go bag #1
Secondary bags or luggable gear to include other stuff not outlined above in case you CAN'T take it with you.
Maybe have 2 tiers beyond "go bag".

Everyone in the family should have all the vitals of each family member especially medical, birth, education/occupation on their "map card" and small enough to fit in a wallet. Place them in every wallet / purse / overnight bag if need be.

Seems the general air worldwide is "something big is brewing"... I agree and feel it too however we also are products of the modern age where a great acceleration of the constant stimulation from media, entertainment and especially the on demand. We are demanding more to the point we are driving ourselves crazy waiting for the next big story on 24 hr news / rss / forums etc. Sometimes I have to think that the big thing is when we all break down from nothing happening on 'our watch' and therefore manifest it in a jackass-the movie kind of way. We are weird creatures! We must try to withdraw some of our attention from especially the online news streams. Cut back and hit them every couple hours instead of every 20 minutes, cut off the talk radio some times and click on an 80's channel or remember what it feels like to wait a whole year for an album to come out or a message from a real pen based pen pal etc. We really need to fight to get our patience and relaxation back, to enjoy the seashore or the desert sun etc. If you put a pentium 4 powered pc with a cam, speakers, microphone and an artificial intelligent brain aboard an android programmed to enjoy the natural world as a sub function of nervous news gathering its core would over heat but there would be little wear on the sensory objects. Pack a go bag, have one aboard your vehicle if need be (minus identification!) and enjoy. Maybe learn to use the gear you've packed by actually taking just 2 days out in the wild.

As for the 'extended disruption' version... Well think swiss family robinson, survivor, lost.
Long term skills that will be worth everything to everyone will include gardening, chemistry, forging(not checks!) and anything MacGuyver does!

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Atlantican]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well irregardless of situation x occurring at anytime in our lifetimes, the ant prepared for the long winter and lived through it, as did the squirrel and many other animals. Others weren't so able to survive and died off in great numbers.
Moral of the story0 like a good boy/gidl scout always be prepared. You should not only have extra food and water stockpiled against the need etc, you should have an emergency back pack or other go-bag with 2 complete changes of clothing extra socks and undies, a bedroll and copies of all important Identification, medical info and the like in a watertight sealed bag or other watertight container. It should also contain a travel sized first aid kit, shampoo, toothpaste and a new toothbrush, comb etc. I suggest having two bags one with summer weight clothes and one with winter stuff. You will want to have ready to go a gallon of water per day per person, and ready to eat foods that will not readily spoil. such as the self heating emergency rations, trail mixes and jerky these can mean the difference between starvation and survival in an emergency like Hurricane Katrina . You should also have a good evacuation plan so you don't wind up stranded. You may not be able to depend on planes or buses or even your car to get out of town if it really gers bad in a hurry. remember they wont tell you to evacuate till the very last minuet possible because of not wanting a mass panic they know will happen.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Since I ranted solely on the go bag thing and forgot "how long?"...

I say 2 weeks till the next big one (attack). If I had to pick a date? I'd watch the 9th - 13th of June in Europe to encourage the Irish to vote in favor of the Lisbon Treaty on the 12th. From July till February in North America especially mid December. I truly believe there's going to be no presidents making it to inauguration this election. Too many E.O.s and whacky laws been passed under the watch of the current administration & congress / senate. All for what?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
www.pfaf.org
..is a good free online database.(i'm not getting it to work at the moment tho...odd)..but wouldn't be any good with no net access though.

Great move with the land..

this site says they need help to keep the db up.

loking for a Open source type collabration to prevent commericail locking up of info

downsizer thread

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by puzzled2 this site says they need help to keep the db up.
downsizer thread

Oh man that blows..
It was a huge link of mine.

I had mucho respect for them because they bought land and put their ideas into practise,thus presenting even more practical information.

Apparently the guy is trying to set up a 'wiki' database and transfer all the info there.
I suppose that's what happens when you're giving out info for free.

Hey SKEPTIC.. Any free space on the 'ABOVETOP' server to assist these guys?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   

How much time do you think we have left to prepare for a SitX?

About five minutes. Always assume this, and you'll not get caught with your pants down when Situation X happens. Or, if you do, you'll have time to pull them back up.

The hardest part I think of making preps is deciding where to start.

Start with the most likely event first, and then the next most likely event, etc.

Your single most likely event, if you drive a car, is an auto accident or car trouble. Thus, the obvious first step would be to pack a good emergency kit in the car (flares, matches or lighter, fix-a-flat, first aid kit, flashlight, toolkit, etc), check your spare, your jack, air pressure in your tires as well as the wear and tear on them, your brakes, your fluids, and keep it regularly maintained.

If you don't drive a car, then your most likely event is going to be a medical emergency, be it a deep cut, heart attack, stroke, choking, etc, or having someone around you experience this. So take a class on first aid, CPR, and other lifesaving techniques. Many community fire or police departments offer these classes for free.

Then work your way out. There's no sense preparing for an asteroid impact if you can't even administer CPR or change out a flat tire, because I can gaurentee with more near-certainty than anything else you will experience the need for the latter two far before a catastrophic asteroid impact.

How much food should you buy?, what type of firearms do you need, if any?, how much ammo is enough? Should you Bug-in or Bug out?, what survival skills should you try to learn? What items of gear are essential and which are unnecessary? How much will it all cost? And most of all, where will all the money come from?

Mainly accepted minimums:
  • Food and Water - 3 days worth
  • Firearms - 3, a rifle, a pistol, and a shotgun. If you can only afford one, then get a rifle, as it is the most useful of the three.
  • Skills - First Aid, CPR, and basic skills like Math and Literacy.
  • Items - a good quality multitool w/knife, a canteen, and a flashlight. All three of these are essential items and hard to improvise.
  • Cost - How much it costs depends on your resourcefulness.
  • Money - After the initial preparations have been made for the most obvious of threats, start aiming your preparations towards multi-use skills or items that can either make or save you money while keeping you prepared. Starting a backyard garden, for instance, is a good way to prepare an emergency food supply, but in non-emergency harvests, can earn you some extra bucks at the local farmer's market, or at the very least, save you some money at the grocery store.

clean and refill your old milk or 2 litre soda containers, etc..

I just wanted to address this right quick, don't re-use your old milk jugs to store water. Proteins from the milk leech into the plastic and feed bacteria in the water when you fill it, making any long-term storage (weeks or more) a dangerous haven for microbes and such in a milk jug. Same goes for fruit juice containers. You can recycle them in other ways, just don't use them to store water. Instead, use 2-liter soda bottles, as those lack the proteins milk and juice have.

The thing I find most interesting about the survival forum is the apparent lack of interest in it by the majority of ATS members. With all the intelligent, well-informed people who post here, you'd think it would be a hot bed of activity, especially now.

It is, actually. The survival forum is one of the most active forums on the board. Granted, we don't see as much activity here as the "I was abducted by reptillians and made to dance indigo child jigs for psychic vampires aboard a black triangle from Atlantis on 9/11" type forums, but as far as the actual readable content goes, the survival forum is one of the most active forums on here I've seen.

It also seems to draw a much more mature, thoughtful crowd, due to the very nature of the subject matter (patient preparation without instant gratification). Most people I see posting in the survival forum are married and/or have kids, or were raised during hard times and had to grow up early. The few immature ones I ever see post here almost always post the same "there's no reason to prepare because we'll all die anyway" post, are quickly shot down in a rally by the membership, and then we get back to figuring out how to save as many lives as possible.

[edit on 5/30/2008 by thelibra]

• posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:27 AM
    link   

Originally posted by cosmicstorm
    Cosmic,

You're definitely welcome, and I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out. I only wish I could do more to assist you. I'm no expert on survival, but from what you can glean from this board, and all the other links provided, I think you have a solid foundation to work from. I strongly recommend reading M40's page for learning the basics skills. He's a bit opinionated, but his information is good.

From your post, I assume you live in an urban area. I found one website that's literally chocked full of urban survival information. It's a long read, but it covers almost every aspect of survival you could think of ! It's geared towards North America, but there are a few references to the UK as well. It's a little hard to navigate, but just keep following the links at the bottom of the page and you'll do okay.

Gallimaufree

Sorry to hear you aren't allowed firearms. If the police can't protect you, you should at least be permitted to do it yourself..

I wish the very best of luck to you and yours in the coming months.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:48 AM
    link   
    Lloyd
    In the reality over here you cant even defend yourself as the criminals have more rights than you do.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:53 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Dar Kuma

OOO Don't get me started on that..

Police are so lame over here that they'd rather go for speeding and littering to keep up their targets..
    First hint of a tricky arrest and they're off..

That's one of the reasons I think we'd get a head start in a sit-x martial law.
    Army's not big enough and the police are wussies..

new topics
    top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
    read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum