How Long Do You think We Have?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
reply to post by LLoyd45

Of course the military will be brought in, maybe even under the UN flag, so I'm not sure how much good it's going to do to have weapons and ammo.

Active Duty Uniformed Troop Strength

1 China 2,250,000
2 USA 1,625,852
3 India 1,325,000
4 DPRK 1,075,000
5 Russia 960,000

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) estimate that in 1999 there were about 215,000,000 guns in America in private hands.

Would you want to fight that army? Thats why we're not slaves yet. The citizen militia of the people of the united states is the largest army on the planet.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by METACOMET]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

As for the amount of time, I am surprised it has gone on this long. We the people have tolerated more than I thought we would as we've watched the economy and infrastructure in the country tanking. Not to mention the damage to our Constitution. I'm waiting, some time very soon.

When it happens it could come from one or multiple directions (scenarios).

I don't post much on this forum, however, I DO read it...and yes, I've been making what preps I can for several years now. From the number of reads this thread has had, I suspect I'm not the only one who is doing this.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Oddly enough I think these fuel demos are going to be the start of it all..

GB.. (not GWB...hmmm.. never noticed that before..) cannot afford to back down politically on this new fuel duty planned.. If he does then it's confirmed he was always a patsy to take the fall for bad government decisions..

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION to Boris's plans..He may seem appear like a saviour then sneak in some Orwellian policies..Same goes with Obama Sin Laden..

The worst policies will always be brought in with a new guy replacing a total clown,regardless of different 'parties'..no such thing,they're all the same..remember..Check the small print..

THEY ALL WORK TOGETHER..

----

Most essential survival tool.. HUMOUR.. You're going to be made to look an idiot on plenty of occasions..get used to it and laugh at yourself.

EG.. I went fishing on a very flat stretch of shoreline at the turn of the tide..
Walks out about 300m..

Tide comes in a bit closer ..

It was winter..cold..hands didn't work so fast tying on my rig...

Tide comes in a bit closer..

After finally tying it I realised I hadn't threaded the line through the rod eyelets..

Rethreading line and retying jig takes more time..

Finally I go to cast only to hook the back of my right calf muscle.. So I'm hopping around trying to get the hook out..Rod in one hand..Fishing bag in the other Tide is NOW IN!! ..

That's going to be a daily routine near a coast..So you can either quit in embarrassment. Or drag your soggy carcass up the beach.. have a brew and a giggle..Then go do it more prepared and aware next time..

And stop off at ASDA on your way back for a couple of pound of Fresh rainbow trout.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

Thanks for the kudos Metacomet, and great reply by the way.

I try to keep my posts informative, but still interesting enough to read. It doesn't always work though.

[edit on 5/29/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Now that was funny A_T. But oh so true. If you constantly berate yourself for screwups, its gonna make for a long miserable time trying to do anything. Laughter is the best medicine rings truest of all. Especially if your alone and attempting to survive it all. Elements, situation x, whatever.

And a little music cant hurt either. I packed a harmonica just in case. Dunno how to play it but if i got lotsa time, ive got time to teach myself.

Silver

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
I feel so underprepared. I'm a VERY broke University Student, I am working to pay off my loans so that I can go back in September. I seriously have nothing planned in terms of survival. I didn't even start thinking about Survival until I joined ATS a couple of months ago.

Having a food cache and supplies is great, but the best thing to have is knowledge.

If you know the basics of survival, you're probably better off than probably 90% of the people around you. Supplies run out, but your Gray matter goes on and on like the energizer bunny.

Buy what you can afford now, and learn how to make the rest from items readily available around you. Being a college student, you know how wasteful a lot of them can be. At the end of the semester the dumpsters behinf the dorms are overflowing with like new stuff they don't have room for in their cars and trucks. In the past I've found like new backpacks, clothing, shoes, cooking appliances, etc. It's like going to a upscale Goodwill store!

City and county dump sites are also great places to scavenge very serviceable items. People are terribly wasteful nowadays. I guess it's true, we really do live in a disposable economy.

Lloyd your posts are always so informative! Thanks
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Just a heads up.. I've added you guys to my friends list. I really value all your opinions, kudos, and input to the forum. Feel free to add me to your list if you like.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Lloyd as you have said knowledge is the key. You can loose everything you own and still survive if you have thought things out.

As for me and mine we plan to prosper during the hard times to come due to our preparations. My thoughts are to learn and adjust now so that the transition will be easier to make. Throw out the T.V. spend more time outside. Learn new skills.

There are many good posts right here on ATS. Study up!

As too when, who can say, but it may be close.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

You're right Reluctant, there are alot of good post here in the survival forum. Any one piece of information could potentially save your life in the right circumstances. Thanks for the reply.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
And a little music cant hurt either. I packed a harmonica just in case. Dunno how to play it but if i got lotsa time, ive got time to teach myself.

Silver

DEFINITELY..
I've got my Yamaha acoustic,Tin whistle and thinking of trying out the violin..
Dunno if the cat could take the learning of another instrument....He already hides at the bottom of the garden when I get the tin whistle out..
Doesn't flinch when I'm practising archery though.. Must be a music lover I guess..

(Oh yeah and a stylophone..Remember Rolf?..with any luck the batteries wouldn't last long tho)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
i'm going to slowly prepare with at least the basics..

but i think we will get help

i guess they are helping us now in many ways...i found some amazing information here

www.moveonnewzealand.co.nz...

basicly i'm not scared anymore

take care all

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Good post. A best cast scenario would be 2010. Seems that things are pointing to that year as a pivotal one. Wouldn't be suprised to see a crash next year though. Just global recession this year. Depression/crash next year.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I think you're wrong about things going down in the next couple/few months. Every time gas goes up, someone talks about a food shortage, a new virus is found, etc, people start to think the sky is falling.

I think a better question would be, "How long do we have, once we realize it's happened"?

How long do we have to make our decisions; what to do, where to go, what/who to bring, once we find that "society" has disintegrated due to...?

Think on that one...

I think our notice will be fairly short, well less than a day. "Our" government won't declare much of anything until it's well out of control. The media won't make a whole lot of effort to get the word out. People who aren't prepared at all will be stuck in their homes, maybe that will turn out to be a safer place to be. Those who did prepare will have the luxury of hunkering down, or heading out. Regardless of what circumstance brings about this situation, I believe the time we'll have to make a good decision will be short;

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
You can probably guess my opinion based on my thread, "not with a bang, but a whimper."

The first question a survivalist has to ask is, what is the price of being wrong?

If you think it'll be here before the 4th of July, and so you max out all your credit cards buying MREs, what will be the fallout? Or if you buy a geiger counter and a biosuit, but the groceries runout of food?

My style is start making immediate plans first, then start working longer and longer ranges as you go. The short term / short horizon plans ought to be the basis for the long term anyway.

I'd begin with a boy scout, army, or survival outdoor manual. Try to assemble a first aid kit, followed by water kit and then food supplies. As your budget allows, you can move up to firearms, backup vehicles (spare pickup where I live, jeeps for others, maybe a moped for students, etc.), and a stockpile of cash/barter to expand your options.

Once you have that stuff in place, you can begin working on a refuge or permanent home.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
My style is start making immediate plans first, then start working longer and longer ranges as you go.

I'd begin with a boy scout, army, or survival outdoor manual. Try to assemble a first aid kit, followed by water kit and then food supplies.

You are so exactly right..

The first thing I bought were books.Knowledge first.They take the longest to get into your head and you can reference them 'in the field'..NO INTERNET! Argggghhh!!.

Then a knife that would last a lifetime,
Then firesteel and a basha..
You get the picture..Essentials first as you say.

I then looked into 'survival tins' & 1st aid kits..
then suitable backpacks,tents,GOOD quality,lightweight..
After you practise with them and can live day in day out with them to such an extent that you are able to do more than just exist,then you can afford to look at the 'little luxuries'..carabine mugs,cutlery.eg
Stuff you can afford to leave behind if the going is fast.

I've gone a little overboard on the 'luxuries' though but since I resemble a pack mule,I'll take the chance of carrying a little extra to smooth the way.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I don't believe in any man-made "situation x" will occur in our life time, and of course you can't predict the far more likely - natural disasters or something else beyond our control.

The problem is that every time we go into a recession or even any time the economy isn't at its absolute best, everyone screams the end is nigh and the hysteria begins. Its like crying wolf - people will stock up on guns and ammo the first time, but by the 90th time it happens people just don't believe it. And since I've seen this cycle happen every few years since I've been alive, its just not all that scary anymore.

Any sort of disaster thats going to happen will be relative to where you live. If you live in a disaster proned area, plan accordingly. Not because its the end of the world as we know it (TM), but because chances are your going to be impacted by certain types of disasters if you live in certain types of areas.

It doesn't require you to have a nuclear bunker constructed, but it does require you to have an escape plan, food, first aid kits, and some cash (or gold/silver, if your extraordinarily paranoid) available. Going beyond that is, in my opinion, just wasting your money unless you are using it to camp or something.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

i live in a beautiful house that has pulled me back from the brink of leaving this earth and my husband has come up with the bright idea that if we sold up we could be mortgage free i cant do this my home is feel i am free i am happy please just make it easier to live make it cheaper to live and i will survive

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
This is something thats been bothering me for a while now 'how long do we have?'.......

...I feel we dont have long left, i think things are slowly getting worse, so slow we may not even notice, but what ive noticed is this world isnt a very nice place to live at the moment (when looking at the bigger picture) and its showing no signs of getting better.
..My problem is, im 25, with an almost 8 yr old son.... now i like to think im quite intelligent, and i like the fact that im 'awake' to whats really going on, and im glad that i have ats for all this info....BUT i know i do not have the strength, mentality and endurance of what might be needed if/when situation x occurs... i try to save food, buy buying a little extra each week, and i love all the survival/ camping gear you can get..... but in reality i know i would be useless with this stuff and thats what is scaring me.....
...Reality is, that id be facing situation x alone, id be vunerable and terrified for the welfare of my son....

So im still trying to figure out what i need to read or research in order to better my chances.... survival kits seem expensive, as a single person with only one income, id have to resort to getting lots of loans and maxing out the credit cards!.....so if im honest, i keep putting things off such as stockpiling etc, unfortunately i know thats the worst thing to do because situation x could slap me in the face very soon..... and id be guilty of knowing it was coming, but not doing anything because of money limitations etc...... or do i get in debt to prepare for what may or may not come?

As you see, im in a bit of a no-win situation!

great thread

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Good question, how long do we have left before sitX?...In my opinion, sit X started about 18 months ago. Look around you and realise that it wont be a huge earth shattering event. It has already started, all those annoying price hikes, all the climatic catastrophes, all the removal of rights and dissempowerment. Its here ! All around you are people who are feeling things never felt before, they are more aware of themselves, their spirit, their reason for life. I dont think the next war, or planet x scenario is the sitx. They may be part of the overall plan, whatever it is, that leads us to that defining moment be it death, ascension or whatever. Me Im looking forward to spending each day with my kids, grand kids and people i love. Beleive it or not, there is more love out there now, than there has ever been. What comes, comes. I dont want to spend my remaining years, shooting looters, living off the land and hiding from people because I dont trust them to do me no harm.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicstorm
and id be guilty of knowing it was coming, but not doing anything because of money limitations etc...... or do i get in debt to prepare for what may or may

You're already showing the first survival skill.
Awareness and willingness to search out information.

Don't get into debt for equipment as anything that makes your current situation worse will just be counter-productive.
Start with gathering knowledge on the net as you have access.
Learn which foods are lighter to carry,last longer and have more nutritional value.
Try some back-garden techniques if conditions allow.
Get your son interested,I started camping when I was 4 and loved it from the start.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join