How Long Do You think We Have?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
How much time do you think we have left to prepare for a SitX? This is a question that's been on my mind a lot recently. Personally, I feel we have only a few short months to brace ourselves before we're submerged in a depression of the likes no one has ever seen in this country.

I may be wrong, and I sincerely hope I am, but I'm getting prepared all the same. People can laugh if they feel the need to do so, but I'd rather be wrong than have to watch my family suffer because I didn't do everything I possibly could to protect them.

The hardest part I think of making preps is deciding where to start. How much food should you buy?, what type of firearms do you need, if any?, how much ammo is enough? Should you Bug-in or Bug out?, what survival skills should you try to learn? What items of gear are essential and which are unnecessary? How much will it all cost? And most of all, where will all the money come from?

Beginning

The best advice I can offer is do something regardless of how insignificant or pointless it may seem. Buy an extra case of vegetables to stockpile when you do your weekly or bi-weeky shopping. Pick up a cheap first aid kit when you have a few spare bucks in your pocket.

Check out the local pawn shops or gun shows for a cheap .22 rifle. Grab a bulk pack of bullets from Wal Mart when your shopping there next time. Buy a case of water to put aside for emergencies, or clean and refill your old milk or 2 litre soda containers, etc..

Bottom line, anything you do is better than doing nothing. Over time, all your small purchase will begin to add up. The gear you need doesn't have to be new either. You can modify existing items you have to do the job. i.e. Rather than throw away those old back packs your kids no longer use, recycle them.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Excellent Post there Lloyd.

I truly have no clue how long we have. But i have been doing prep work for a couple years now. The old adage, better to be safe than sorry stands so true. Whether it be an earthquake, hurricane, tornado, flood, whatever the disaster might be, ive got rations and gear to help me and mine make it through some weeks/months of awesome government response times. LOL

No matter what you purchase to prep, just know you will use it at some time or another.

My $.02

Silver

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply S1LV3R4DO. I consider my preps a cheap insurance policy against disaster. You never know what will happen from day to day.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm gonna be brutally honest. It may come tomorrow and it may never come in our lifetimes. The critical factor is not to prepare for situation X but to take an honest assessment of potential threats that are already here. Prepare for those and the overlap will keep you covered.

Do you live on a 100 year or 500 year flood plain? Or does it flood every year?
An extra heavy month of rain can change everything you knew about where you live.

Do you live in a dry potential tinder box? Have you cleared away brush and do you have large 1" hoses that can reach all around in a moments notice?

How many tornadoes have you had to go through?Hurricanes? wind storms?

Is your house bolted to the foundation or are the sills just resting there?

Do you have natural Gas? is the tank secured to a concrete foundation? Does the meter valve have a correct sized wrench attached to it? Not an adjustable wrench that is frozen solid with rust?

Air, Earth , Fire and Water are the enemy, far greater than any man.

Mother earth can bring all to its knees at any time, no matter how great or small. No nation, govt, or man has power over these.

This is the true wisdom of preparedness.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The thing I find most interesting about the survival forum is the apparent lack of interest in it by the majority of ATS members. With all the intelligent, well-informed people who post here, you'd think it would be a hot bed of activity, especially now.

I guess as others have said before, most people rather not think about things like depressions, food shortages, homelessness, etc..

Hindsight is 20/20, just ask one of the thousands of displaced Hurricane Katrina victims. They thought Uncle Sam would take care of them, but he was unfortunately asleep at the wheel..

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Several months before Katrina the discovery or science channel had a 2 hour special covering the broken levies and the storm surge and every terrible thing that would happen, and they included computer animations and full visual depictions.

In Russia or China that mayor and the council would be shown the video and then lined up and shot in the streets in front of the suffering people.

Gross negligence should be charged and prosecuted in a civilized nation and the people responsible for not taking corrective action when hundreds die should get life in prison with no chance of parole. I'm black, your black doesn't dig the graves or fill them. The mayor should still stand trial.

That wasn't a tiny little oops.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Honestly?...

I think we have less than a year to politically turn around the worsening morale in the west..
Because I believe lack of morale is going to ignite people into social breakdown and economical ruin..
Then another year or two as things begin to collapse into chaos..

That's the current real looming Sit-x.

I can't possibly be the only person that has noticed 'the average Joe' is working simply to exist..

How many of you,when you work out your bills,have realised that..
If you took away the cost of going to work..You have barely more than you do NOT working at all..

If you took away all the taxes and costs connected with travelling only.
Your MOT.car payments,car tax,insurance,maintenance,fuel costs..there goes about a quarter?..

Take off Tax and Nat insurance.. there goes a third.?.

Take off benefits you would receive if you weren't working.. a third?

The way costs are increasing people are going to want their 'time' instead..
If you work 40hrs a week and you have nothing to show then you would rather stick with nothing in the first place and HAVE 'your time'...
Instant demoralization..

Now of course if most people decided to up and quit,then there goes the economy..what next?? Join the army for the looming war with Iran?
Get DRAFTED into the looming war with Iran?

There's already signs of desperation across the Atlantic with gas theft..Of course that was always going to happen..Make something valuable enough and there'll always be people willing to take it from you..

What do you think will happen when FOOD starts getting to that kind of price?

There's just not enough around for the world population level so there's only two course of action available ..and you can bet your butt they are being discussed behind closed doors..

Find a way to produce more food or start de-population plans.. Wars are pretty good for that.

This is,of course a totally self inflicted problem..Greed,Gluttony,Avarice..
Sounds pretty Biblical huh?
Well that is exactly what appears to be looming..War,economic disaster,poverty,starvation... That looks pretty Biblical to me too..

My advice..
Get your act together and get with the self sustainance program.
Don't get yourself into a position where you have to rely on others.
Get used to being without your 'luxuries' as often as you can..They're really worthless.
STOP pandering to all the war-mongers and fat cats in office..Your hard work is just making them richer.
Start taking some time out to appreciate the natural things around you..That's what is going to keep you alive soon enough..

Best of luck everyone.
Times are going to get tough for the unprepared.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Great reply Agent_T! That's a very thorough summary you put together. Have a star on me.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Yep, you are right lloyd. Not nearly enough interest here, but who knows, maybe people are buying stuff and just not talking about it.

BTW....my brother and I close on those 50 acres in Mississippi in 2 weeks!!!!! Will keep you informed what we do with it.

We are drawing up all kinds of plans and lists of supplies, much more daunting than I thought!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by givemeliberty or beer

I hope that's the reason so few post here. I hate to think what life would be like if the bottom suddenly dropped out from beneath their feet.

Good luck to you and your brother on your acquisition. I can only imagine the effort required to get everything organized on such a grand scale. You can do it though!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Cheers
I know it's a bleak outlook..NOT something to be 'looked forward to'.. just prepared for..

reply to post by givemeliberty or beer

Hey that's great news for you guys..Best of luck..
Check out the ..
KEN FERN book "PLANTS FOR A FUTURE"..

I'm currently making my way through it..
VERY useful advice on what crop/plants/trees/fruits/veggies to sow together to prevent overrun by slugs/parasites etc..
Which ones produce 12 month round food in cycles..
Which ones add nitrates to soil/which are good for medicines/vitamins..

www.pfaf.org
..is a good free online database.(i'm not getting it to work at the moment tho...odd)..but wouldn't be any good with no net access though.

Great move with the land..

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I don't think it'll come suddenly, but I think it'll come. What is it? Could be a myriad of things, situations we've all discussed. I think the key for us anyway, is to continue going forward, living life fully, all the while tweaking our preps. It's useful to us (m'Bride and me) to occasionally test out our systems...... maybe kill the power for a weekend, whatever. Where we live, power outages are frequent anyway.

An example: We own a generator, but we consider that a very short-term tool. If power is out more than six hours, we might kick it on; three things make the difference for us: a/c, ice and water pressure. None of those things will save our lives, nor take them, they're just things that restore normalcy.

We're pretty well stocked for things we CAN imagine, but perhaps not so for things we can't, or think are a long shot on the ol' probability scale.

I think the downturn of the US economy is a harbinger of worldwide changes, and don't know if it can be helped. I surely do hope so. I think it's important to not be consumed by survival mode. Sort of like a professional athlete -- you can't stay in peak shape forever, you have to hone your skills and abilities for an anticipated peak period. My feeling is that weather/Earth events will continue to increase. There are calderas all over that could blow at any time, big ones.

I think this, the talking about it, is one of the best things we can do, the exchange of information. I've talked about this on other threads, but our current mantra is something like: If you can't make it, and you can't fake it, and you NEED it, you'd better stock it. "fake it" refers to things like alcohol, which we can make, but probably isn't going to be the refined product we enjoy.

Good thread, starred.

I think it's likely that the lack of hits on survival topics might relate to it not being 'entertaining' for some. Too real, too hand-on. Just a guess tho.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
"fake it" refers to things like alcohol, which we can make, but probably isn't going to be the refined product we enjoy.

Talk about a perfect example of exchanging thoughts and ideas.. I never thought about looking into making my own 'M.... *EDIT* ..ermm.. Homebrew'..

Now that would restore some 'normality' in an extended period of hardship.

EDIT ..As I didn't know that making..errr.. 'homebrew by moonlight' is still illegal..

[edit on 28-5-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Agent T! I've been enjoying your posts. I like the juxtaposition of humor with solid information. I strive for that also. You might like to know that it's probably not illegal for you to ferment (US?/UK?) but still remains illegal for most to distill. Still.... (an illiterism?) fermentations can slightly exceed 10%, and for most that's plenty to do the job. If it doesn't taste like crap, well, that's a big bonus. Fruit fermentations..... most have enough ambient yeasts on their (lightly washed) surfaces to ferment, and enough sugar. Y"have to get used to drinking less-than-clear adult beverages, unless you're into specialized filtration. I pitch a little gelatin and that clears them up, but if TSHTF, well, gelatin is going to be a little hard to find. So this was the purpose of our experiment, and it was successful. I'm sipping Neeseberry wine as I type this.

Something else you all might want to look into..... a doable flour. Now, we have breadfruit and coconut and West Indian Almond, all which can be dehydrated and grated and eventually processed by hand into a flour that can then be recombined to make an edible bread. Bread matters. Ya, you say you can do without bread. Okay, fine, but if bad times come, you'll really appreciate the knowledge of how to do it. that, for me, is what this is all about. Self-sustaining existance. Toss in some companionship, love, wonder...... it's a life. Survival without wonder... beauty..... naw, that's no life.

Am I wearing out this point-of-view? Hope not. We can make it folks. We just have to shift our thinking, and no reason that I can see to crawl in a cave before it's time, but at the same time, I believe we need to take positive steps, with a goal in mind, toward bettering the aftermath of whatever. Might seem too fuzzy for some, and too verbose of me for others, but I really feel the call sometimes to help the folks that are listening. You might be Watchers.

Cheers

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
LLoyd
as always! Great thread.

Lets get this straight for the nay-sayers. America's debt is $9 trillion simoleons. If we started right now to pay off that debt at a dollar a second, we'd pay back a BILLION dollars in the year 2040 or so. A trillion seconds is roughly 32 thousand years. At a dollar a second, we'd pay back a TRILLION dollars in the year 34007.(Now multiply that by nine.)

My friends, it IS getting closer everyday, minute by minute. It really is just a matter of time. Time ticks away faster and faster. Our governments get more control. People become less involved with the need to be involved with the politics of it all. History tells a story. That story repeats itself. Careful examination can reveal intent. Hasn't this been the bottom line since recorded history began? It sure was for our Forefathers.

So,.... do we want to survive, or do we want to prevail?

The dictionary says that "to survive" means merely "to continue to live or exist." Yet the definition of "prevail" means "to overcome; to gain the victory or superiority; to gain the advantage; to have the upper hand, or the mastery; to win; to triumph; to be victorious."

Being a survivor and surviving a SHTF situation is not a bad thing, but we are capable of, and should try for much more. We should all be aiming to prevail. But the time is now. Tick-tock

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
You ask for time frame, well my best guess will be about 16 months.

That puts the next Administration at about the 9 month mark. Enough time to put all of the continuity of gov. in place with all of the new players.

Heck I feel shakey as hell tonight, which is why I came on the site, to check for breaking news...

Now is the time to set alliances with those that you can trust with your life and that of your family. Best to have people and or places within a hundred miles in either direction from where you are.

If you are not in the city, it is best, but watch where you park yourself and hope to be near high cave systems that you can access.

Extra gas in 5 gal. containers set aside for travel and know all of the back routes. If money is not a problem, have dirt bikes,mountain bikes and canoes or boats for water travel, get to know your water ways and or back routes.

The system will be so busy taking care of the city and towners, they will have little time for checking the back roads and water ways.

Always keep easy to grow foods like potato slips, the eyes grow very fast and you can start as soon as you reach your destination. Dry food rather than canned for your bug out.

So many ideas and tips available today. Some of the best come from people that lived through the depression of 29, however they were by far more prepared than any of us today.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Sometime within the next 2 years. There is something about this election that I am seriously worried about. I don't know why, I just get this really awkward and uncomfortable feeling about this one.

I feel so underprepared. I'm a VERY broke University Student, I am working to pay off my loans so that I can go back in September. I seriously have nothing planned in terms of survival. I didn't even start thinking about Survival until I joined ATS a couple of months ago.

Lloyd your posts are always so informative! Thanks

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

An example: We own a generator, but we consider that a very short-term tool. If power is out more than six hours, we might kick it on; three things make the difference for us: a/c, ice and water pressure. None of those things will save our lives, nor take them, they're just things that restore normalcy.

Voice of reason my friend. Creature comforts but not at all needed.

Wisdom here for those that will listen.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I am betting within the next two years. I am a skilled gardner and have many bags of wheat grass seed. I would suggest that people consider growing it. It can be done in your home under a window, it matures in two weeks and if left alone will seed out. One ounce of wheat grass juice is comparable to several servings of vegetables. The one thing you will need is a juicer, grass is hard on our digestive systems. The protiens will be the hardest to find and manage.

I have bags and bags of dried beans and rice. I am hoping to have a good two years supply soon. Surviving will not be a matter of having enough to eat..it will be the violence that threatens most people when those food reserves are discoverd.

Having said all that I still remain optimistic...let us all hope it does not get so bad as to have to resort to violence.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

If things go further south with oil prices, the time frame might only be a few weeks until there is no food on the shelves in the major cities. Of course the military will be brought in, maybe even under the UN flag, so I'm not sure how much good it's going to do to have weapons and ammo.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join