It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Lucie teacher has students vote on whether 5-year-old can stay in class

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Just a question . . . if you put 25 anti-social kids in a class room together . . . do they become social?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Nope they become the future owners of microsoft

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

anti-social kids-----how did they get that way if their parents loved them and took the time to teach them right from wrong and took the time to protect them from the"society" jungle ?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
When were 5 year old students put in charge of the classroom and given the power to make decisions on the disposition of students in the school system.

I suppose we are witnessing a teacher who should be in a different line of work.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

Anti social has nothing to do with how your parents raise you. I was raised in a horrible environment and I was very social. Its all about personality. Some kids are social and some kids are shy and anti social I dont think that is something you raise your kids to be or not to be.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

yes---i suppose you are right but i also think some kids are more resilient than others while other kids don't bounce back so easy once the innocence has been beaten out of them enough times ?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

Yeah certain people react to certain environments different and yes some kids gets the confidence beat right out of them. School is tough when it comes to some of these kids thats why it doesnt help with teachers like this doing this crap.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Think of it this way.....

Kids with Aspergers can understand and identify numbers and logic the way most people understand and identify social queues, like facial expressions, sincerity of laughter and all that jazz.

While on the other hand, most people naturally understand social queues and need to learn logic and math.

Eventually, people with Aspbergers can learn to be social, but it's like learning algebra. Not easy for a 5 year old.

Not a 100% accurate analogy, but the best I've got for 2 minutes.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527

Originally posted by birchtree
reply to post by deadline527

You know one thing I would like to address in your response is that you were quite sure that the child was not humiliated.

"He said, 'I feel sad,'"

"He was shaken up," The mother said

Alex hasn't been back to school since He starts screaming when she brings him with her to drop off his sibling at school.

Thursday night, his mother heard him saying "I'm not special."

I would say these things pretty much indicate that he was humiliated

Probably because his mom raised him his whole life on a pedestal telling him he is so special, and when he gets to school and finds out the truth that he is just as important in that classroom as every other kid so he doesn't get any special treatment, that is probably what busted his bubble. I feel this is the result of the parents babying their children too much and not disciplining them when needed. Then, when they get too out of control and don't listen, a bunch of doctors just wash their hands of them and claim they have ADHD or some form of Autism which is probably the broadest statement in the world.

This kid was not humiliated, he was told the truth, and guess what - sometimes it hurts. If I stayed home from school because I "felt sad", I would have been home more then I went, but I learned to deal with problems and that is one of the most important aspects of life. This is exactly why they say all these children have "aspergers syndrome" and cant deal with social problems and such, because they never tried.

Again, there IS a percentage of children with REAL autism, but this in my opinion is a child who was babied and spoiled by his parents, went to school and learned the hard way he wasnt gods gift to the world, couldn't get his way when he wanted it, and now resents school because it doesn't fit his wants and needs. Let the kid deal with his problems and maybe, just maybe, he wont grow up to be another one of these antisocial kids who have no idea how to deal with people because every time something happened they were taken out of the situation and never learned how to solve it.

This is the case with most children who claim to have aspergers in my opinion. As for learning how to be social, you have to TRY - once these kids are diagnosed with such disorders the parents keep them away from kids instead of throwing them in the middle and letting them figure things out. A lady I work with has two children with aspergers, and both of them have no friends because she keeps them inside all day. These children will never learn the social skills needed if they dont get out and make a few mistakes.

When I look back on my childhood I was shy as hell, never talked to girls, and stayed to myself. If I was born in this day in age, they would have chalked me up as another high functioning autistic kid and even further ruined my self confidence at that age. Instead, over the years I started opening up more, talking to more people, and eventually dating. Now, I have many friends and people enjoy my company. These kids who are being kept in a bubble are only making their "aspergers" worse.

But as everyone knows, lets just feed them more medications and baby them for the rest of their lives, because thats doing so much good.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by deadline527]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Wow, thats very wrong. My best friend is only slightly autistic, but hes the kind that stays quiet all the time. Either way, that teacher didn't deserve to do that to this child.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
the teacher sucks not child. How many people actually let there children watch shows like the rock of love or flavor flav? The teacher is the adult so why is she exposing children to things like this? Hasn't one taught the teacher to respect others feelings. She should be fired the only message she is teaching is discrimination. I would be P!$$ED if someone did this toone of my children!!!!!!!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Now, that's what I call democracy. We didn't have that when I was in school the teacher just decided for you...so unfair

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
reply to post by Rockpuck

She quite possibly ruined this child's life with her knee jerk reaction. Not to say turnabout is fair play, but I bet she could deal with it a lot better than a 5 year old with Asperger Syndrome.

NO- something similar to this happened to me as a kid. In fact I had a teacher who asked the whole class to monitor my every move and check off my behavior chart when I was "out of line." Just me- no one else was subjected to this. The kids had a hayday blaming me for everything, and my mom got notes from my teacher almost every single day. It went on for most of the school year until my mother found out the extent of the matter and threatened to beat her A** and tell the school board. I dont remember what I did that started the whole thing. I was a very quiet kid, and I wouldn't speak up. For the record, Im not autistic, just artistic. Point is, it was a long-time situation not just one incident and I am OK.

Anyway, I dont think that one incident will destroy his life. It was not good judgement on the teacher's part. She should be put on probation and monitored to be sure she doesn't crack like that again before crucifying her. It is hard to deal with other people's children, and they dont get paid enough for some of the stuff they put up with.

Also, doesnt the article state that he is "in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's" ? That doesnt mean he has it. He has acted up enough for it to be a possibility and for doctors to be testing for it. We are quick to label kids with disorders these days instead of taking responsible action for behavioral issues. Im not saying beat your kids, but take action. Dont just say "oh he has Aspergers" every time the kid acts up and then not correct it.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by raven bombshell]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527

Originally posted by birchtree
reply to post by deadline527

You know one thing I would like to address in your response is that you were quite sure that the child was not humiliated.

"He said, 'I feel sad,'"

"He was shaken up," The mother said

Alex hasn't been back to school since He starts screaming when she brings him with her to drop off his sibling at school.

Thursday night, his mother heard him saying "I'm not special."

I would say these things pretty much indicate that he was humiliated

Probably because his mom raised him his whole life on a pedestal telling him he is so special, and when he gets to school and finds out the truth that he is just as important in that classroom as every other kid so he doesn't get any special treatment, that is probably what busted his bubble. I feel this is the result of the parents babying their children too much and not disciplining them when needed. Then, when they get too out of control and don't listen, a bunch of doctors just wash their hands of them and claim they have ADHD or some form of Autism which is probably the broadest statement in the world.

This kid was not humiliated, he was told the truth, and guess what - sometimes it hurts. If I stayed home from school because I "felt sad", I would have been home more then I went, but I learned to deal with problems and that is one of the most important aspects of life. This is exactly why they say all these children have "aspergers syndrome" and cant deal with social problems and such, because they never tried.

Again, there IS a percentage of children with REAL autism, but this in my opinion is a child who was babied and spoiled by his parents, went to school and learned the hard way he wasnt gods gift to the world, couldn't get his way when he wanted it, and now resents school because it doesn't fit his wants and needs. Let the kid deal with his problems and maybe, just maybe, he wont grow up to be another one of these antisocial kids who have no idea how to deal with people because every time something happened they were taken out of the situation and never learned how to solve it.

I gave you a star because I think you have a very valid point. I have tried to think of this by saying to myself "what if a teacher did this to my daughter?" I would first question what brought the teacher to this point because I know how difficult some kids can be.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Hey man, it's not about being too sensitive. This kid shouldn't have gotten voted on. This is supposed to be a controlled environment (the classroom), and if there is a student keeping the class back, then yes, he should be moved. But public ridicule has no place at that age in that environment. I survived USMC boot camp, and I still think 5 year olds should be taught better than that.

P.S. If democracy was always right, abortion would never had gotten legalized. Think about a myriad of other issues...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

This is only one reported incident. I'll bet the teacher has been abusing this kid all year long, just as your teacher abused you. Maybe you turned out normal because your mom stood up for you and threatened to beat the teachers rear. That was a different age, unfortunately.

How much do you want to bet the teacher that abused you, singles out a kid for abuse every year. That the teacher picks out her victim at the beginning of the school year, every year, and puts the child through hell. I'll bet this KG teacher does the same thing every year, and the schools attitude about it clearly tells that they do nothing.

I dealt with plenty of teachers like this, but by a very young age I was able to fight back and start intimidating the teachers. There were a lot of teachers who like to pick out favorites to praise and to pick on. I hate bullies, and that is what this teacher is. Bullies are always cowards. You start giving back what they are dishing out, and they will avoid you like the plague. Unfortunately, most kids didn't have my level of self confidence.

Teachers like this have no place in a classroom. People who want to blame the five year old child are probably people who have been victims all their lives, and if you read the stories here, that is exactly what the situation looks like to me. You grow up hating childhood, and so as an adult you hate children. Inside, they are still the scared child. Think about it, if the way you were treated as a child is not a fair way to treat adults, then it is most definitely not a fair way to treat children. What children want most from adults is approval and acceptance, which gives them a sense of security in a world where everyone is much bigger than they are. Give a child enough approval to allow the child to trust you, and meter out your approval at an appropriate rate, and you can get even the most troubled child to do what ever you want them to do, most especially when your goal is to nurture them into being well rounded adults.

If the parent is unable to defend her child, I would recommend that she tell the boy to remind the teacher that in ten years, he will be bigger and smarter than her, and should she see him then, she had best turn and run.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
what the teacher did was hardly conducive to the learning environment of the class.there's a reason why no one under 18 is allowed to vote, they dont understand the process. heck even a large percentage of adults dont. so the "this is democracy at work" stuff is hardly relevant. also, if the kid has a learning disability that is disruptive he shouldn't be in classes with students who dont have a disorder. i've got personal experience with this kind of thing, throwing together those with and without disorders and treating them all the same. when i graduated from highschool a few students who had disorders similar to this had higher positions in the class rating than i because they were given a's in classes simply because they participated! meanwhile i struggled all through highschool like many others to study and do well and try and get good grades and understand the material given to us and myself and others are put lower on the list of academic achievement because we didn't have a disorder. how do you think that makes children feel? pretty bad. "no matter how hard i work i'll never surpass this person because all they have to do is participate to get a's and b's. meanwhile the special study sessions for math classes and the hours of homework i do amount to nothing." that's hardly a lesson to teach young adults.
putting children with disabilities whether they be slight or severe with children who dont have them in the same class and treating them like equals is detrimental to our society. sure the children shouldn't be failed and labeled useless to society, but they sure as hell shouldn't be elevated above the hardwork and tears of others just because "that special child participated! wow!"
so in total i think this was a poor move by the teacher, but indicitave of the decline of our educational system. rockpunk has a point, school programs need to be more personalized for the student ,classes should be smaller and children with disabilities that are disruptive to the learning experience of others should be taught seperately with others like themselves both to help them learn better and to make the overall education of all our children a better system.
as a side note, i have had many friends in highschool, middleschool and in my adult life who have social and mental disorders and i've never found one who was happy that they were given an easy ride through school because "they were special".

edited to fix a sentence that didn't make any sense at all lol

[edit on 29-5-2008 by optimus primal]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

yes because threats of violence are always the answer to social problems.

although most of your post has a valid point the end is hardly conducive to reasoned defense of oneself. i thought we lived in the 21st century, not the 18th.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by raven bombshell

This is only one reported incident. I'll bet the teacher has been abusing this kid all year long, just as your teacher abused you. Maybe you turned out normal because your mom stood up for you and threatened to beat the teachers rear. That was a different age, unfortunately.

How much do you want to bet the teacher that abused you, singles out a kid for abuse every year. That the teacher picks out her victim at the beginning of the school year, every year, and puts the child through hell. I'll bet this KG teacher does the same thing every year, and the schools attitude about it clearly tells that they do nothing.

I dealt with plenty of teachers like this, but by a very young age I was able to fight back and start intimidating the teachers. There were a lot of teachers who like to pick out favorites to praise and to pick on. I hate bullies, and that is what this teacher is. Bullies are always cowards. You start giving back what they are dishing out, and they will avoid you like the plague. Unfortunately, most kids didn't have my level of self confidence.

Teachers like this have no place in a classroom. People who want to blame the five year old child are probably people who have been victims all their lives, and if you read the stories here, that is exactly what the situation looks like to me. You grow up hating childhood, and so as an adult you hate children. Inside, they are still the scared child. Think about it, if the way you were treated as a child is not a fair way to treat adults, then it is most definitely not a fair way to treat children. What children want most from adults is approval and acceptance, which gives them a sense of security in a world where everyone is much bigger than they are. Give a child enough approval to allow the child to trust you, and meter out your approval at an appropriate rate, and you can get even the most troubled child to do what ever you want them to do, most especially when your goal is to nurture them into being well rounded adults.

If the parent is unable to defend her child, I would recommend that she tell the boy to remind the teacher that in ten years, he will be bigger and smarter than her, and should she see him then, she had best turn and run.

For the record, I dont hate children. Ask my daughter. I wouldnt have a kid if I hated them. Also, I illustrate kids books for a living- if I hated children or childhood I doubt I would go into that branch of art. I dont make a lot of money, either, I just enjoy it. I love kids. You dont have enough information about me to make that assumption.

Your strong feelings about the bullying you experienced has you jumping to conclusions about me, my former teacher, and this teacher. I was just coming from a different point of view. And I didnt say I thought it was OK for her to embarrass the kid, I just offered my experience to say NO, he may be OK after all. This shouldn't break him. Rarely is any media report complete with all sides of a story.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

The threat of violence most often succeeds in preventing violence, or abuse, in this teachers case. Just delivering this possibility into her mind should do the trick.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join