It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Lucie teacher has students vote on whether 5-year-old can stay in class

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

You know one thing I would like to address in your response is that you were quite sure that the child was not humiliated.

"He said, 'I feel sad,'"

"He was shaken up," The mother said

Alex hasn't been back to school since He starts screaming when she brings him with her to drop off his sibling at school.

Thursday night, his mother heard him saying "I'm not special."

I would say these things pretty much indicate that he was humiliated

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
What in the heck is this world coming to? Not only is the teacher promoting the exclusion of a Student, she is causing him emotional trauma. No doubt, this experience is going to have an effect on this childs self-esteem.

This is ridiculous.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Ok I didn't read 6 pages of responses.

But isn't the point here to turn the situation around.

Ask the child about he's feels get him to understand why his friends would do this.

Show him how by not controlling his behaviour and not being nice to others make others feel about him.

the went he tries to behaviour and he is nice have the kids vote for him again. How great will he feel when he realises he can be nice and make friends.

on the flip side
if the kid's disability is that bad that he can't control his actions and he is totally at a whim for his behaviour. Why should the other kids put up with the hitting and the disruption?

A punch or kick hurts regardless of the mental state of the person inflicting it.

It's about time that the enforce intergration of special needs children was controlled so it is a benefit to ALL parties not just the PARENTS of the child with a special need.

It can work but not in every case.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I still say they had a right to vote the kid out. I wouldn't want my children learning in an enviroment where an autistic kid is disrupting class constantly.

Home school.

Utter Rubbish. You don't publicly humiliate a child with disabilities because you're a halfwit teacher. You discuss it with the principal and parents and inform them that it is an untenable situation to have the child continue in a class that is not setup to cater for his needs, as he is disruptive and distracting to the other children's education.

You advise the parents they need to look into enrolling him in a school that CAN provide him with an education AND deal with his disability.

This thread .. I wish we could unstar people's posts to show negatives.

Far out.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by birchtree
reply to post by deadline527

You know one thing I would like to address in your response is that you were quite sure that the child was not humiliated.

"He said, 'I feel sad,'"

"He was shaken up," The mother said

Alex hasn't been back to school since He starts screaming when she brings him with her to drop off his sibling at school.

Thursday night, his mother heard him saying "I'm not special."

I would say these things pretty much indicate that he was humiliated

Probably because his mom raised him his whole life on a pedestal telling him he is so special, and when he gets to school and finds out the truth that he is just as important in that classroom as every other kid so he doesn't get any special treatment, that is probably what busted his bubble. I feel this is the result of the parents babying their children too much and not disciplining them when needed. Then, when they get too out of control and don't listen, a bunch of doctors just wash their hands of them and claim they have ADHD or some form of Autism which is probably the broadest statement in the world.

This kid was not humiliated, he was told the truth, and guess what - sometimes it hurts. If I stayed home from school because I "felt sad", I would have been home more then I went, but I learned to deal with problems and that is one of the most important aspects of life. This is exactly why they say all these children have "aspergers syndrome" and cant deal with social problems and such, because they never tried.

Again, there IS a percentage of children with REAL autism, but this in my opinion is a child who was babied and spoiled by his parents, went to school and learned the hard way he wasnt gods gift to the world, couldn't get his way when he wanted it, and now resents school because it doesn't fit his wants and needs. Let the kid deal with his problems and maybe, just maybe, he wont grow up to be another one of these antisocial kids who have no idea how to deal with people because every time something happened they were taken out of the situation and never learned how to solve it.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I have looked at several articles on the story, and I see nothing that states that the kid was punching or physically abusing his class mates in any shape of form. Apparently, his big crime is humming and eating his homework.

Look, any adult who would do something like this to a FIVE [5] year old child is serious messed up in the head, and has no place in the classroom, especially as a teacher.

Jail time, yeah I would agree with that. I don't know about 10 or 15 years, but at least 90 days in county. This was a cruel action on the part of the teacher. You got to wonder how many other 5 year olds this teacher has emotionally abused over the years. I'll bet every year she picks out a child to abuse.

Then again, if a proper investigation, which should be conducted by some group not connected to the city budget, was conducted, this story might be just scratching the surface. Then, maybe ten years or more might be appropriate, and maybe some time for the school administrators as well for allowing this to go on.

Not long ago, I read in a local paper about a five year old that has been sent to the hospital twice after having been beaten up by fifth graders. A fifth grader is huge to a 5 year old. Apparently, minimum disciplinary action was taken, when these fifth graders who beat up a kindergartener should have been sent to juvenile hall and never allowed to return to a normal school with young children. This is the most violent school in Oakland. The schools administrators should all be locked up for child abuse in my opinion. Yeah, it is sad to send a ten year old to Juvenile Hall, but allowing these sadists to torture 5 year olds is less acceptable. I say the school administrators should be spending some time in the poke as well for allowing this kind of abuse to go on.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Heck for all anyone knows here, the kid might have been liked by his classmates, and only disliked by his teacher and a few of the teachers pets. It isn't hard to manipulate a bunch of five year olds into voting the way you want them to vote, especially when you are their teacher.

There is no excuse for this teachers actions.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Sounds like somebody is watching a bit too much Big Brother. That's honestly what it sounds like to me.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Ok, I only read the first page of this thread and my apologies to those to you who have hearts.

As someone with Aspberger's Syndrome, you people suck.

What is wrong with you.

Social environments are a living hell when you have AS and poor kid is going to be screwed up for life by this.

Some of these reactions... all I can hope is that the most of these posts come from 12 year olds or something...

I'm sickened...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I don't know what the kid was like, but I do know the feeling something like this could do. It really stays with you all your life....

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Compassion is strong in some of you... Anyway, if the student was disruptive, the teacher should have sent him to the nurse or principle, called the parents, talked to him outside, or any number of things instead of singling him out in front of the class and humiliating him. Thats harsh for anyone...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
does this make sense in the present context? No, but very soon the boon will be illuminated. castrate the bull and sh!t the missive.

i came from the school of the broken hand
spatial angel fell from grace into space uncharted
my train of thought derailed just as i was rigging the sails
fail or pass classical ragged tagger nagging nuisance fuse
prudent muse ate the apple and got booted from chapel

rascal rapscallion sprayed down entire battalion
astounded audience watched shoddy performance enormous
discordant forrest burned down sound waves
the situation at hand is rather grave

master slave relationship gets old real quick
do you feel thick headed after taking the sickly sedative
better live now because here comes mr. plow
bombed out city felt little to no pity for insidious schemes

hideous themes is what sweet dreams are made of
rotten orchard tortured regenerates a new branch
a new rancid dance for the acrid passive mansion massive

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
The news article says that the child is "IN PROCESS of being diagnosed with Aspberger's," that means he might not have the disorder. He might just be an annoying kid. A 14 to 2 vote is pretty significant, it pretty much says that the kid is a trouble maker. =P

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

Originally posted by bloodcircle

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I still say they had a right to vote the kid out. I wouldn't want my children learning in an enviroment where an autistic kid is disrupting class constantly.

Home school.

Utter Rubbish. You don't publicly humiliate a child with disabilities because you're a halfwit teacher. You discuss it with the principal and parents and inform them that it is an untenable situation to have the child continue in a class that is not setup to cater for his needs, as he is disruptive and distracting to the other children's education.

You advise the parents they need to look into enrolling him in a school that CAN provide him with an education AND deal with his disability.

This thread .. I wish we could unstar people's posts to show negatives.

Far out.

Very true. This is the 21st century in America, after all, and school systems are well aware of methods to identify and deal with special cases. Especially in kindergarten.

There was absolutely no reason for this teacher to do what she did. If the county prosecutor won't file charges, the family should file a civil suit against the school and the teacher.

reply to post by Vasilis Azoth

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth
As someone with Aspberger's Syndrome, you people suck.
re a living hell when you have AS and poor kid is going to be screwed up for life by this.
Some of these reactions... all I can hope is that the most of these posts come from 12 year olds or something...

I'm sickened...

I think some of the posts come from people with arrested development. They sound more like children from 8-12 years old.

reply to post by poet1b

Originally posted by poet1b

Heck for all anyone knows here, the kid might have been liked by his classmates, and only disliked by his teacher and a few of the teachers pets. It isn't hard to manipulate a bunch of five year olds into voting the way you want them to vote, especially when you are their teacher.

There is no excuse for this teachers actions.

To a five year old, the teacher is the parent. They will listen to whatever she says. I would like to know exactly how the teacher phrased all of this to the kids.

Most of the kids probably thought they would be voted out of class if they didn't listen to the teacher.

I also think the 2 kids who voted not to throw him out are either especially kind, or especially mature, or something special all by themselves.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I think the two kids who voted for the student and against their teacher tells more about the reality of the situation than the 12 votes in support of the teacher. Considering how this teacher had everyone tell the boy what they don't like about him before having him voted out of the classroom, it is obvious that the teacher did not like the boy, and how the teacher wanted the vote to turn out.

It must have took a lot of courage on the part of the two students who voted to keep the boy in class.

Personally, I'll bet every child in that class was permenantly emotionally scarred that day. Many of those kids who were forced to participate in this emotional beating must have felt bad for the boy. It had to be very disturbing to participate in such a one sided onslaught.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Firstly, the teacher led the decision making process and the children followed to avoid future repercussions from her displeasure.

Secondly, the teacher violated this child's civil rights. There are numerous Federal laws against discrimination on various basis. One basis is discrimination due to disability.

Every child in America is entitled to an appropriate and free education. Furthermore, "Least restrictive environment," is defined as a component of "Appropriateness." That means that non-disabled children should be trained to be sensitive to disabled people and learn to tolerate their challenges in a mainstream classroom if the disability is not too burdensome.

This family should file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights (forms are available on-line) because it's worth a shot and then consult an attorney about filing a Section 1984 against the appropriate school official for violating their son's civil rights under the scope of their duties as public servants. A Section 1984 is way to sue those officials personally for breech of duty. An actual attorney may feel it's a waste of time but then again, maybe not.

That's just my humble opinion as a citizen who knows their rights, as we all should. I only post this because it seems that there are a lot of ignorant, insensitive people here who lack any concept of "others," i.e. those who are different from them, having rights, let alone respecting those rights. God help America and where we are headed.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
From what i saw on the tv interview with the mother and her son...

she's a bit nutty ....bringing up AlQuada' (saying people think what they are doing is right when it's wronge?)

I have a feeling the boy is a bit out of control, but the teacher should NEVER be with kid's again...and to hear the Principle say the teacher feels she did nothing wronge.....I know if it was my kid what I would have done,
I would have personal beat the crapp' out the teacher and the pricible...then vote on if I should go to JAIL

But it does seem the mother is kinda' wacky and that does not help a child
and many out there don't know how to bring up kids and the fact that so many kids are on med's tells that story. Plus is the mother of the child still married or she a single mother?

Your Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mandrake

the vote says the kid was a trouble maker ?

don't know what your school life was like but i seem to recall that i was quiet and tried to stay on the outer edges of the school yard while the others beat and pounded on each other for fun? during recesses.

when it came time for gym classes the 2 best athletes were made team captains by the teacher and they picked from the rest of the class who they wanted on their 2 teams------i and some other poor guy were usually the 1 or 2 that neither team captain wanted-------which i suppose suited me because i wanted none of them either.

too this day i still hate sports-----all of them-----you couldn't pay me enough to go watch any so called game.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

The teacher is a crazy woman. She should not be allowed to work with kids. If you put her in a class with beautiful and perfect kids she would abuse one of them. The broad thought she found an easy target in the Autistic kid usually they are not verbal enough to report their abusers. The boy is obviously not a low functioning autistic and should be in regular classes. The teacher should be institutionalized.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

yes the teacher is not thinking right and is working on making clones of herself even if she doesn't realize it

i still seeth with anger over the way they treated me at school from day 1 but i thank G-D the desire to get retribution is gone-------although i really hope i don't ever meet my tormentors again----unless they changed for the better.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join