It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Lucie teacher has students vote on whether 5-year-old can stay in class

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Tesla

en.wikipedia.org...:Nikola_Tesla

Fitzgerald, Michael, O’Brien, Brendan (2007) Genius genes: how Asperger talents changed the world. Autism Asperger Publishing Company, 2007.

In this essay about autism written by the President of the Association for Psychological Science she lists Tesla as one of a number of "historical figures who fit current diagnostic criteria".

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
So you secretively tell a kid hes a "special little boy" and he has to go to "special classes" and he always wonders why.....

Um ... who said to 'secretly' tell him anything?

Special Ed classes aren't like that.
(or at least - they aren't supposed to be)

Each situation is different, but a child with this generally can understand (at some point) what he/she has and what it means. They SHOULD know at some point.

Nothing wrong with being open about it.

Generally the more open, the better.
Education and understanding is the key.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Asperger published the first definition of Asperger syndrome in 1944. In four boys, he identified a pattern of behavior and abilities that he called "autistic psychopathy", meaning autism (self) and psychopathy (personality disease). The pattern included "a lack of empathy, little ability to form friendships, one-sided conversation, intense absorption in a special interest, and clumsy movements." Asperger called children with AS "little professors" because of their ability to talk about their favorite subject in great detail. It is commonly said that the paper was based on only four boys.[who?] However, Dr. Günter Krämer, of Zürich, who knew Asperger, states that it "was based on investigations of more than 400 children".[citation needed]

Asperger was convinced that many of the children he identified as having autistic symptoms would use their special talents in adulthood. He followed one child, Fritz V., into adulthood. Fritz V. became a professor of astronomy and solved an error in Newton’s work he originally noticed as a child. Hans Asperger’s positive outlook contrasts strikingly with Leo Kanner's description of autism, of which Asperger's is often considered to be a high-functioning form. In his 1944 paper, written during Nazi rule whose policies included killing mentally handicapped and socially deviant people, Asperger wrote:

The syndrome was only discovered in 1944, and wasn't popularly accepted and diagnosed until long after.

We can make judgments based on behavior recorded about these historical figures. As far as modern psychiatry, it's identifiable and I can produce a list of contemporary figures with this disorder if you like, but I'd prefer that you research it on your own in an effort to deny ignorance.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

That's a bunch of speculation.

I had a terrible time with school. I hated it, hated the teachers, hated the students. No reason.. just you know, wasn't my cup of tea. I tested off the charts on the tests, including SAT's.

I still failed all my classes.

Does that make me "autistic".

Einstein was not autistic, he was just in a learning environment that did not fit his intellectual capacity.. he was held back if anything. Labeling kids who don't do good in school, or express anti social behavior with ADD, ADHD, Autism, and other Learning Disabilities is a scapegoat to the real problems.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I agree with what you are saying.

I went back to find the source for my earlier comments but pulling my hair out I can't find it now. Maybe it was a different child with a similar story but it was today.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

This is outrageous. The teacher has been reassigned and should be fired, imo. Imagine what this will do to this little boy's self-esteem.

www.tcpalm.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Wow for once I completely agree with you becky. The kid is five. If things were as bad as they were portrayed to be, then call in the parents, have a sit down with them, the teacher, and the principal. There is no need to completely and utterly shatter the kids self esteem, and self confidence by having every kid tell him what they don't like about him. That would be utterly humilating. I have a daughter who is going to be 6 at the end of this week. She is in kindergarten, I know how fragile she and her friends are, and they don't have any developmental issues like this poor kid. If her teacher ever pulled this kind of crap there would be hell to pay.

I can't understand how some of you can blame the kid for this a) he has a disability, not really his fault now is it? b) HE IS 5 YEARS OLD!!!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Yes but they essentially went back and looked at (very little amounts) of information and decided "well he fits the 'criteria' for autism!" ..

While I wouldn't doubt maybe some of them really did have this "disorder" I don't think all of them did.

After all, most "geniuses" are a bit "eccentric" and likely to be labeled...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Have you been tested? Maybe you do have Aspergers.

It's speculation based on historical evidence. Like I said, the disorder wasn't really discovered until 1944, and we know that it existed before that.

CX

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I find Autistic kid to be very annoying..

Did you know, many people with Aspergers find other people with Aspergers annoying. People with Aspergers can have difficulty with empathy and compasion, which funnily enough is what comes across in your posts about this. There are plenty of criteria lists online if you want to have a look.

I'm quite suprised at some of the comments here considering the child has Aspergers. I put that down to ignorance at the highest level.

Yes kids with Aspergers often need more help than others, but theres a way of doing it, and that way is nothing like this bad excuse for a teacher did it.

Many people here, including myself have relatives with Aspergers, so you should'nt be suprised at peoples "sensitivity" to some of the comments here.

I think it's easy for us to make comments if we are'nt in that situation. I know what i'd be feeling like if my little girls had been treated like that. Those here who think this was funny or ok, how would you feel if you heard your autistic kid had been voted out of class because of her condition which can't be helped?

If there was a problem with disruption, yes the kid needed extra/special help, but the issue here is how it was done.

It was discracefull and anyone can see that.

CX.

CX

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Wow! Would you look at that! I had'nt even seen that when i posted my post above.....surely that says something?

CX.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

It's speculation based on historical evidence. Like I said, the disorder wasn't really discovered until 1944, and we know that it existed before that.

LOL, I was tested for a lot of things, I don't think Autism was one of them.. I think the general consensus was that I had authority issues or something like that.

But basically what I am saying is that any one who has "problems" in school can be labeled with something. It distracts from the real problem .. standardized learning is not healthy.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
OK everyone, this is the story that I was referring to. It also came out today.

abcnews.go.com...

Five-year-old Gabriel Ross complained over the school year that his teacher, Kristen Woodward, was being mean to him, said his mother Tabitha McMahan and stepfather J.R. Edwards. Gabriel told them other kids didn't like him because he was "bad and stupid."

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

No no I don't have asperger's (how ever that's spelled). I can't do basic algebra, and I am good with the ladies. Well, I think I am anyways.
Autism would be complete opposite.

See what I mean.. all this labeling going around.. We should all be colored gray and act robotic-ally.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

And all of that aside, lets get back on topic shall we? Aspergers is real, and it results in antisocial behavior with a high capacity for learning. Those diagnosed can function in normal society (Dan Aykroyd) but have trouble with social situations and interactions. Is it wise to ostracize those who are predisposed to antisocial behavior? Might it make more sense to involve them in more real life social activities and environments?

Provided the child isn't overly disruptive, he should attend normal classes when appropriate, and advanced or remedial classes where appropriate. And decisions about his attendance in classes should not be left up to a 5 y/o. Even a class full of them can't make the right decision all of the time.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I have met very very few truly intelligent individuals who did not have a very hard time fitting in.

I suppose they where all autistic as well?

There is a difference between intelligence and a mental dysfunction like the kid in the OP has.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Bottom line, this "teacher" screwed up and should have handled this much differently. There were many options she could have attempted, before choosing the worst possible option, short of stoning the kid to death.

Any PO'd enough to email the higher ups and call for this womans' head on a platter...

Morningside Elementary School Principal:
Mrs. Marcia Cully
[email protected]
(772) 337-6730

St. Lucie County Schools Superintendent:
Michael J. Lannon
4204 Okeechobee Road
Ft. Pierce, FL 34947-5414
Phone: 772/429-3925
FAX: 772/429-3916
[email protected]

St. Lucie County School Board Chair:
Carol Hilson
772-519-0397
[email protected]

Vice Chair:
Judith Miller
772-528-4545
[email protected]

No... I didn't track it down. Someone sent me an email.

[edit on 5/28/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

OK, what mental dysfunction does the kid in the OP have?

Do you know his intelligence? Capacity for learning? Test scores?

In what way was the child disruptive, or was he simply antisocial?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Is that really necessary.. Let's all spam the phone lines, oh yay, ignorance gets us far!

Obviously the teacher couldn't take the stress of teaching an autistic child.. she is not a Special Ed teacher, shes a Kindergarten teacher..

What she did was stupid, but looking at it from her perspective she snapped. Why ruin her career or ignorantly bombard the school district with knee jerk reaction flaming?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

She quite possibly ruined this child's life with her knee jerk reaction. Not to say turnabout is fair play, but I bet she could deal with it a lot better than a 5 year old with Asperger Syndrome.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

There is a difference between intellectual social disorders. Typically they are withdrawn from the system they are in, thus anti social. Acting out with violence and crudeness even at that age is not a sign of "heightened intelligence" but quite simply behavioral and mental problems, quite possibly autism. I just don't want to see "oh it's not his fault he really is a special wittle boy, hes a genius!"

Comparing a kid like this to Einstein. Who was withdrawn in class, not acting out by the way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join