It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Lucie teacher has students vote on whether 5-year-old can stay in class

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

St. Lucie teacher has students vote on whether 5-year-old can stay in class

www.tcpalm.com

PORT ST. LUCIE — Melissa Barton said she is considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class.

After each classmate was allowed to say what they didn't like about Barton's 5-year-old son, Alex, his Morningside Elementary teacher said they were going to take a vote, Barton said.

By a 14 to 2 margin, the class voted him out of the class.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.autismvox.com
wolfsden.wordpress.com

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is outrageous. The teacher has been reassigned and should be fired, imo. Imagine what this will do to this little boy's self-esteem.

www.tcpalm.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Maybe the kid sucked.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
From Article:

"But the state attorney's office concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed, Steele said."

This is utter BS to me! Just reading this article I felt like crying for the little boy. No child should have to go through that, and the teacher promoting it? I thought the teachers were supposed to stop that kinda stuff from happening. This just sickens me... I hope she gets fired and is not allowed to work with children again.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

i know it sounds bad if that poor boy loved school-----but for me that hated every second of being incarcerated with the little"crazies" and the big ones. i would have rejoiced to have been that kid if they had thrown me out back in 1952 when drug in for my first round of abuse/beatings by other kids, principal and "teachers?"in england.

i still have the scars on my back from getting the cane at age 5/6.

needless to say i didn't then or now have any use for academic schools or teachers.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I daresay it may prove to be an appropriate decision.

Why would a class vote out another kid? Was he bullying them? Was he mean to them?

I cant see why an entire class (by a 14-2 margin) would be against this kid.

Are there no defenders of democracy willing to support this move? After all, those that believe in universal enfranchisement must surely believe in extending the vote to everyone... not matter what their mental capacity or age.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
Maybe the kid sucked.

HAHA.. ah, this story cracked me up big time.. lol ..

I say good riddance.. if we had been allowed to vote kids out of class when I was in school I think it would have been great! .. To the fat kid that stank, the ADHD kid who was frikin weird, the girl with the mustache, oh and how can we forget the moronic cheerleader who says things that where so stupid she should have been demoted 4 grades.

I think there should be a special measure that an entire grade can vote out a kid and banish him to the furthest corner of the playground as well!

In all seriousness lol, I am sure there was a reason they voted him out.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.
Maybe the kid sucked.

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I am sure there was a reason they voted him out.

The reason - The idiots didn't understand that the child has AUTISM.

AUTISM

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I find Autistic kid to be very annoying..

So maybe the other kids didn't like him..

Nothing wrong with voting the lil fella out of class? .. Perhaps home school will work best for him.

Maybe they vote out the appeaser who voted for him to stay! .. Assuming he was the other vote.. maybe there are 2 appeasers! .. Or they could banish him to a closet.. wouldn't have to see him, and he could still partake in class activities. I think he would need a flashlight or something though.

I think you need to stop making excuses for him FF .. You can't stop democracy!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Actually he was voted out because he was out of control. Hitting, kicking and otherwise causing all kinds of problems if this is the same kid that had the tape recorder in his pocket.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by jbondo]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Oh man, that sucks. This kid has Aspberger's syndrome, which is a serious condition that results in very antisocial behavior. It's in no way the child's fault, and he's going to struggle with this disorder for his entire life. Now, not only is he socially awkward, he's being ostracized by his own teacher for being socially awkward.

Not only did they vote him out, but they each had to say, to his face, what they didn't like about him. I can imagine that totally screwing with my head now, at 26. I can't imagine what it's like for a 5 year old with Aspberger's.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

This is outrageous.

This is democracy at its best. Plain and simple.

The teacher has been reassigned and should be fired, imo. Imagine what this will do to this little boy's self-esteem.

The boy had special needs and probably shouldnt have been in the class in the first place.

Alex has had disciplinary issues because of his disabilities

So lets not make out he's a little angel who was victimised.

CT

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This is an example of what has become of our educational institutions in this country. One would think that a school teacher would have enough fundamental exposure to the concepts of the varying degrees of special needs students may have.

Here we have a high-functioning autistic child whose psyche, already burdened with a different general make-up, has undergone the outrageous offense of being publicly humiliated and ostracized for being 'needy' and less 'socially capable' than the 'group'.

This teacher, rather than create an opportunity to foster sensitivity and understanding, instead seized an opportunity to rid herself of the burden - all while corrupting the kindergarten children with a first hand lesson in prejudice and excommunication! For shame! There is one ray of sunshine in that when the school children voted, two chose to have him stay in school with them - perhaps their humanity is too strong to corrupt - bless them both!

This school district should from hence forward bear the financial burden of sending this child to a first-class private school plus psychological counseling for the entire family. I understand the child's older brother is kicking and screaming each day refusing to go back to that school - and who can blame him, after how they treated his little brother.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I think you need to stop making excuses for him FF ..

Autism IS an excuse.

What there is no excuse for is an idiot teacher (and school administration) that would have this child mainstreamed AND THEN humiliated on top of it.

Autim is not the child's fault. It isn't controlable.

For supposedly being educated people - the teacher and the administration are freak'n idiots.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

LOL, gotta love the over sensitive types..

Sarcasm......

Guess it's hard to detect over the internet, what ever.

I still say they had a right to vote the kid out. I wouldn't want my children learning in an enviroment where an autistic kid is disrupting class constantly.

Home school.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

could you site a source for the abuse comments? And, even if it is the case where he was abusive, you don't remedy the abuse by further ostracizing the kid. If anything it will lead to further resentment and abuse.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Regardless. The kid is autistic to an extreme and has no place in a "normal" learning environment anyways! It's disrupting to the rest of the kids. Sure, maybe the teacher went over board.. but considering how much I hate lil kids I think she had restraint. I would have put the kid outside and locked the door.

He's autistic. That sucks. He needs "special" education..

OR .. I know.. we COULD just use No Child Left Behind standards! Yeah! .. We can just bring the learning curve down to that of the severely autistic child! Then he won't have his feelings hurt!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This is just horrible. The comments made by some of you in this thread are just as horrible. Regardless of what the kid did, this was not appropriate. This is the kind of thing that scars a person for life and leads to either a life of seclusion or a lone gunman in a tower.

The teacher needs to be fired and brought up on charges. If this was my kid, I would make sure this happened. The teacher needs to be brought into the spotlight and ridiculed in the same manner this poor kid was.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Your right.. they should stand the teacher in front of the class and take a vote!

And say what they don't like about her.

If she's voted out, they can fire her. If not, they can't. I think that would be fair.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

The kid is autistic to an extreme and has no place in a "normal" learning environment

Absolutely. I completely agree.

maybe the teacher went over board

Maybe?? Rockpuck .. buddy .. this is NO WAY for an allegedly adult educator to act. They are trained while they are getting their teaching degree how to deal with these things.

What happened is wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join