It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Obama cursed Oprah?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Has Obama cursed Oprah?

timesonline.typepad.com

There's little Oprah can't do. This, after all, is the woman who beat Superman into second place as the greatest pop culture icon of all time.

No wonder then that her endorsement of Obama was greeted with jubilation by the Senator's campaign team. Packed football stadiums, enormous rallies and a vote upswing seemed guaranteed.

But has Oprah's endorsement done her more harm than good?

[edit on 28-5-2008 by 123space]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Wows so what we could expect ?I think its hurts Obama and Oprah both.WHEN YOU HAVE FEELING FOR SOME ONE THEN WHO CARES !!! LOLZ

timesonline.typepad.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I saw this the other day and I was, actually, somewhat surprised by the drop in everything Oprah. It should be noted that her ratings have been on the decline for a while now but the pre and post endorsement numbers are not something to shrug off. For a woman who is so attuned to her audience and the business of running all things Oprah, you'd think she would have taken this into consideration and not publicly endorse a candidate. Did she actually think "they buy everything I tell them so I will get them to buy Obama?"

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I think a lot has to do with these two things -

1 - She got political. That was the death of the Rosie show (which was good before Rosie spouted politics). You automatically alientate people by taking a political stand - and considering why she picked Obama .... (go read the messages on her forum - things like 'Oprah's loyalty is SKIN DEEP', etc etc)

2 - She has gotten new-age religion and is pushing, what many call, The Church of Oprah. This alienates Catholics and Protestant Christians. Not to mention many other conservative religious people (Jews, Mormons, etc)

Oprah did it to herself.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I don't think it is so much a reflection on Obama as a re-coil by the public regarding all things Oprah. I mean really...people are just oh-so-tired of her sanctimonious decrees of what is good, popular, appropriate - whatever.

She definitely has a knack for picking winners among products and people but after 25 years or so of watching her own personal quest for fulfillment and happiness through diets, gurus, makeovers, etc... it's quite clear she must not be too happy with herself so who is she to judge others?

What does it say about a woman who puts her own photo on the cover of every magazine? Is she that insecure? Do I need someone that self obsessed telling me who to vote for or what to buy? Uh, no.

She seems very earnest and kind but the public is just done with that type of preaching and product placement - especially from the wealthiest woman in a world of economic decline and diminishing resources. It just seems a bit too consumeristic and voyeuristic.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You are absolutely correct. When you run a business (And Oprah is a business franchise in and of herself) you never want to discuss politics and religion. Too bad for Oprah she had to get on a soapbox and talk about both. It's simply bad for business.

top topics

join