It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anger over star's quake remarks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
"Actress Sharon Stone has sparked criticism in China after claiming the recent earthquake could have been the result of bad "karma".

The US star, speaking at the Cannes Film Festival, linked the recent disaster to Beijing's policy on Tibet.

She said: "I thought, 'Is that karma?' When you are not nice, bad things happen to you."";

Full story;

news.bbc.co.uk...

To be honest i look down upon her greatly for her irresponsible and highly offensive remarks. By saying the the quake tragedy in China is the result of Karma is essentially saying that the victims deserved all of this horror, which i completely disagree with. Saying such things is no better than the Medieval tripe Christian monks used to tell people during the Black Death, telling people that they were dying of the plague because they were sinful etc.

And i really don't buy all of this crying act she did, its disgraceful that she draws attention to herself in such a way when there are so many people who are truly suffering but are holding back on their emotions so they can get on with the job of re-building their lives, homes and the helping the people around them. All she is trying to do is to score brownie points in the public eye so they buy more of her stuff.
Her comments and behavior have no place during a tragedy such as this.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Using the deaths of 10's of thousands of people to push your own agenda is shameful. I think the story has blown a bit out of proportion but it was still a shameful act. When you are a celebrity and people hang on your every word, you need to be much more responsible about what you say.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

The real question is why people hang on the words of celebrities?

I think it's really, really, REALLY weird that humans place other humans on a pedestal just because they see them on a big screen (or small screen for that matter).

Are people really this stupid?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I think there are smart celebrities and dumb ones. This chic qualifies as super dumb, and who is she to talk about Karma

That's like Cheney suddenly giving a speech on Karma

I think for the most part, aside from Sharon and Rosie, Hollywood has been very quiet which is not their style.

I wonder if they were FORCED to shut up??

Anyone else notice this?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I am just running with her logic here, (or lack thereof.)

If she thinks something bad should happen to a countries people based on them "not being nice" to others, why arent other "not nice" countries being hit with massive natural disasters?

(One would think Washington DC would be the earthquake capital of the world if "not niceness" brought on earthquakes)

And secondly, even if that was the way karma worked, why would poor Chinese civilians be the ones to pay the price for the bad karma and not the powerful government officials that implemented the "not nice" policy?

I have to agree with the other posters, Sharon Stone is simply not a great thinker.

new topics

top topics

join