It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music piracy lands 25 year old New Yorker in jail. Facing $250K fine and 5yrs in prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Music piracy lands 25 year old New Yorker in jail. Facing $250K fine and 5yrs in prison

www.intology.com

A US court has convicted Barry Gitarts, from Brooklyn, New York of music piracy who now faces a fine of $250,000 and five years in jail. He is 25 years old.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Piracy is a crime but is copyright infringement blown a little out of proportion?

For comparison, Scooter Libby got the same fine with no jail time and the man outed a CIA agent and essentially committed treason.

Are the two crimes really that comparable?

www.intology.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
seriously now, people have gotten less time for rape. This is rediculous! Our country is truly sick. For victimless crimes such as this or drug use, the only appropriate punishment is fining. Now he's going to spend 5 of his prime years in jail, be subject to rape and abuse. This is criminal.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
There is a big difference, one is a crime against the United States and the citizens therein, the other is a crime against corporate interests.

Obviously corporate interests and profits come first.

In all seriousness, though, what this guy did wasn't in the same ballpark as someone downloading an album from bittorrent or a couple of songs from limewire. He was running a server which facilitated piracy on a massive scale. He did this with knowledge of what he was involved in and, if i'm reading this correctly, was making money from his endeavours.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Chris McGee

The article said he did get paid, but didn't say how much. I have to assume he was only making a small salary for his work, not selling the warez or music. These guys don't do it for the money.

I agree, he was high up in some large scale piracy operation but I still think that the penalty for facilitating copyright infringement is absurd. I think you hit the nail right on the head. You can screw over the people all you want but you had better not mess with a large corporations bottom line or you will face the full force of the law.

new topics

top topics

join