It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand government apologies for the treatment of Kiwi Vietnam Vets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   

"The Crown extends to New Zealand Vietnam veterans and their families an apology for the manner in which their loyal service in the name of New Zealand was not recognised as it should have been, when it should have been, and for inadequate support extended to them and their families after their return home from the conflict," the Prime Minister said.

Politicians of all persuasions endorsed the Prime Minister's apology and paid their respects to the 38 who died in the conflict and the 187 who were wounded.

tvnz.co.nz...

Nearly 40 years ago, Panui was a platoon sergeant patrolling the jungle at Nui Dat.

"I think the average age of my platoon was about 23, and a lot of them it was the first time they'd been away from home."

The young men were not only under threat from the enemy but were patrolling areas sprayed with the deadly defoliant Agent Orange.

Source

Story

Photos of Kiwis in Vietnam

Historical Note : The Kiwis served with the larger Australian contingent in and around Nui Dat . Thirty seven Kiwis were killed in Vietnam .

Even thou my father was with the Australian rather then the small New Zealand contingent the apologize still stirred the emotions in me . Since I cannot convey emotions from my keyboard there is only so much I can say on the matter other then that my respect goes out to any Vietnam vets who were disrespected or mistreated .

There will be a march in Wellington involving Kiwi Vietnam vets and other activity's which all come under the banner of what is known as Tribute 08. Offical site

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Boy am i glad i stumbled upon this one!

Star and Flag...

I have been wacthing this one closely myself, as i have a close family friend who was exposed to agent orange back in vietnam.

what ticked me off is that the americans exposed werent entitled to health insurance after the war, doctors were proving connections between various diseases. The future generations are living/dying proof of something terrible having happened...

and yet no one in the military or government would make formal appologies or retributions....

I think its about time!

Although it is still a case of too little too late.

Once again great post!!

[edit on 28/5/2008 by Zeus187]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Zeus187 my father was sprayed with Agent Orange . For a long time the New Zealand government denied that Kiwi troops were even sprayed with Agent Orange but that is for another discussion. To my knowledge Australia has the best Veterans System in the world benefits include low interest home loans .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Related Article
And I was just praising the Australian Veterans system .

The men could provide vivid accounts of clashes with the Viet Cong, but the Australian Government said it had no records of the 2nd D&E Platoon.

This week, though, this "ghost unit" was officially recognised.

The Defence Department has determined the platoon did indeed exist and was involved in important action.

Source

Audio

On the whole I can only describe this as bizarre via official channels they would have appeared and labelled frauds up until now that is .

Here is a link what I presume there role was .

top topics

join