It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open Letter To The Public

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
just want o say that I think the gas at the pumps for you is still cheap..

in the UK, we're paying £1.26 for one litre, so one gallon would be £6.30.

that in Dollor$ is roughly about $11.00 per gallon.. FOR REAL...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
and here in Croatia we pay 9$ a gallon and we ara poor by any USA standard. so...
But untill people start bovcotting driving until it's necessary, prices will be high.
Try to use any other kind of transportation, walk if you can.
Main market rule is demand. when demand for oil drops, so will prices.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
You are only seeing the absolute top of the pyramid here. You are only seeing how the elite make their money, and how they use us. You're completely ignoring all good that driving to work, eating out, purchasing instead of growing does.

Most people, instead of growing their own food, will buy it from a local or super market. This allows all of the employees and owners of the supermarkets to afford to live themselves. Without your money, you are dooming all of them to poverty and potentially death due to lack of nutrition.

Most people, instead of walking or taking the bus, drive to work. They pay for gas at their local gas station. This allows for all of the workers and owners at the gas station to live, just like the markets. Without your money, they are doomed just as well.

Most people, instead of cooking every meal every night, go out to eat. Whether it be a Fast-Food joint or a locally owned restaurant. With the money you use to eat at these establishment the cooks, the waiters, cashiers, delivery-men and owners all use to live. Without the money you spend here, they are doomed.

This economy is run on everyone relying on everyone else. When you start to take out the "everyone else" what happens to the everyone? Not spending your money at these venues is worse than lining the pockets of elites. You have to see both sides of the coin here.

The gas stations, the restaurants and the grocers need you, just as you need them.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

link   

link   

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
i like your idea of a "letter to the public" but i think it would serve a better purpose in a more public place like the local newspaper or somewhere where youre no so much preaching to the quire. im not trying to degrade your thread in any way, just would love to see more of this stuff where more sheep are likely to read it. probably wouldnt get past editors and such tho. maby you have done this also, i wish i new where to start nothing makes me more angry and sad at the same time than to hear someone say"none of this affects me" or "im gonna wait and see what happens"........................................................... ITS TOO LATE!!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Maybe it's all about the oil, maybe it's all about boosting bank accounts.
However I think it's part of a something greater.
The best way to not pay the high gas prices is to stay home, right? Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a lot more planes passing over head with "vapor trails" coming out the back. Perhaps it's just by coincidence that the gas prices are high, there's more "vapor trail" planes and everyone in the US is about to switch over to "digital TV" which of course you will be watching a lot of since the gas prices are so high and you want to stay home to avoid spending money... Just a thought.

www.fcc.gov...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by acewilliams

You know, I was starting to take the bus to work before I left the PNW in September. I moved to Ohio which is a completely different system. They don't have buses that go from my home to anywhere near work. Unfortunately I also live 67 miles away. I can do the moped thing but for only the few summer months. It rains so much here and it gets COLD.

Yeah, you heard me say it. I'm from Seattle and I said 'IT RAINS SO MUCH HERE!' Much more and much harder than back home. So a moped is only good on sunny days and during the warmer months. Back to the gas guzzler in the winter.

We are so dependant on the system that it makes me sick. This was how I was raised. I wasn't educated by my mother at all when it comes to finances. The government funded school systems sure as heck didn't want to educate me on finances. I was always taught to try and keep good credit so you can buy the things you want.

That's what we were taught. I hope you noticed the 'want' word instead of 'need'. We have been trained to buy into this system of credit and debt. Sure, there will be those few who will say that it's our fault for being this way because they are different. What they don't realize is that they are NOT the norm. Just take a look at everything that is hitting the fan right now. It was done for a reason. Hell, when I first started my post high school education a single credit cost around $100 or less. Now it's up to $600 in some places and over $1000 in even others.

See the pattern? We are taught that we MUST go to college and get a good degree. It started out that we needed a college degree. An AA. Then it went on to a bachelor's. Now it's at the master's level in order to even be considered for a decent paying job. It's the system. How much do these degrees cost us? I'm in it for around $70k for my MBA and the degrees I needed to get there. I'm making $52k. See the problem? LOL

It's a system based on debt creation instead of debt removal and true freedom.

Gas is only a part of it. It's quickly becoming a much bigger part too.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Many of us do realize this. The only problem though is this: how much oil does the UK have under it's soil?

I can tell you that the U.S. has quite a bit. How much do we benefit from it? Not much considering it is more profitable to send it out to other countries like China.

Granted, I don't want to belittle the prices you or our fellows in other European countries are paying. However, when a country is used to the price being level for quite a while a 100% jump in 18 months is hard to swallow.

In other words, we are pretty spoiled here and maybe it is a good thing. Who's to say. All I can say is that we are starting to get a taste of what it is like in other parts of the world. Still a ways from it but starting to get the flavor in our mouths. The cost of food has gone up so much that my monthly bill to feed my family has jumped from $550ish to over $750. Add the $250 more in gas that I spend each month and we are looking at an additional $450 a month we are spending now than just over a year ago. A year ago we were living pretty close to paycheck to paycheck. Now we are having to pick and choose between what gets paid and what doesn't.

Oh yeah, for those that will say, you should just budget better with what you make. Well, I didn't get a $5400 raise just to cover the increase in gas and food. My raise was less than 1/4 of that. And that $5400 doesn't include the increase in the cost of energy and other necessities that are going up because of the increase in fuel costs.

Just thought I would share. It doesn't excuse the fact that we are complaining at $4 plus per gallon when you guys are at almost 3 times that but I hope you have a better understanding of why we are complaining now.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

i agree with everything said, but what the hell else are we supposed to do? if we want the luxury of getting up and driving wherever we want everyday then most of working America has to go to work to be able to take a paycheck home.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Sorry for being so slow with this post, work has been insane, surgery, etc etc... Yuck.

Thanks all, for the replies.... Some got me thinking, and some made me laugh out loud. I've never done this before, but will try to reply to those who replied to me now.

Deson - Shame public transportation is lacking in the smaller areas of the US. But like others have said, I think this forces people in smaller communities to come together. Buying from the local farmer, trying to keep everything you do and need, closer to home.

frayed1 - this is what I mean! Small communities working together to be self-sufficient, maybe kind of ... Well, hard for Americans today to get used to,. But I think we are heading that way anyway, personally. (won't go into it.)

EarthCitizen07 - You could be really right, pointing out that the 'American way' we've been encouraged to live has been UNSUSTAINABLE. Credit cards may have been the REAL evil here... Encouraging us to SPEND, whether we had it or not. What is putting a couple hundred more on the credit cards, to fill the gas tanks?

Enthralled Fan - Bringing us closer together... It seems possible. Live closer to work, live closer to grocery store, etc... And you can spend less on gas. I hope the master plan is not to bring us close together so we can be 'taken out' more easily!!! lol

DocGonzo - You don't think that it is the responsiblity of the working class moms and dads?? I disagree with you completely. I have a little one, and yet I feel responsible too, in some way, for the future generations and what they have to live in. We are ALL in this together. I feel we are all just as responsible for our behaviours, and the direction this country goes.

ThEsEnTiNeL - I agree with you completely. Every aspect of this.

derfred33 - I honestly don't think anything we can do can change those negative things going on. Those are pleasurable and profitable to the right people without us needing to do anything. But yeah, we are not prepared for what's to come.

Solarskye - You made such a good point, about us lining up and waiting for every new product as it comes out. They often target our children with these new things, and make them feel bad when all their friends have the newest game system, but they don't. On the parents' end, this system might be $600 and the parent is already short on rent.. What do you do? We don't often see the bigger picture here. We want our children to be happy.

jalien - Thank you for speaking your mind. I am not sure where it came from that I could be "left leaning". Personally, I think that the government should be smaller and get off our asses, and let the REAL supply and demand determine prices. What is going on right now is ARTIFICIAL. These prices are ARTIFICIAL, as is everything we are exposed to in the 'news'. Please, feel free, to expand on my 'left leaning' ways, ok?
For what it's worth, I voted for Ron Paul instead of deciding to be proud of rooting with the 'winning team'.

MysteriousTraveller - You really got my attention on this one. Over in the BREAKING NEWS section, this is being talked about - www.abovetopsecret.com...
It looks like this is what people are doing, who cannot afford to buy gas, at this point... Also, look at Karlhungis' thread about driving less. What is happening, is people are resorting to CRIME to fuel their tank, or heat their home for their children. As prices increase, will this only get worse?? Better keep an eye on this one. Those who are doing well now, may be the victims to these increasing crimes of the desperate. Sorry to whom this fact may offend. Others are NOT ok!!

Bspiracy - Why not just walk away from threads like this? Start your own thread about how everything is better than we think. You have every right to speak your mind wherever you want though. I respect that. Why not start a thread though, for people to feel good about being alive, and all the positive aspects to a person paying $4+/gallon? Make a thread about teaching others to be smarter and move on... Please! Use my perspective, to come to your own, and use it for getting out all the positive you are seeing in the world. You have just as much right, I think ??

GetOutOfMyRabbitHole - THANK YOU FOR THIS. I have been trying to encourage people to get around the gas, expensive lunches, and babysitting costs, by WORKING AT HOME! This right now, IS an option I wish more people would look at, and consider. Being able to stay home, means a lot to me.

TXMACHINEGUNDLR - I really, honestly, wish the population didn't get so out of control. I honestly feel guilty for bringing yet another person into the world. But... Just got 'fixxed' yesterday. Like I hope more will consider doing. I feel selfish for having a kid in a world that already has millions of poor and starving.
We cannot seem control our breeding habits, so I have always thought nature would step in and do it for us.

jamie83 - Thanks for the laugh.
Should I feel flattered? Well, all opinions are welcome here. Just for the record, I am against Obama and his "Global Poverty Act", like the plague.

ShaunMK - That whole 'Top of the Pyramid' thing... I am sorry, I for one kind of saw your post as contradictory. There is nothing I can do about huge, massively rich corporations employing the poor to take advantage of. I don't see how a struggling family can possibly keep supporting these corporations when they themselves are struggling, just to justify keeping the min-wage workers employed. This system is FLAWED. Spending your money at these establishments, aside from mom and pop just trying to make it, IS lining the bank accounts of the wealthy who take advantage of these same people you want to stay employed there...

Ugh, hope I covered most everyone... Hard to reply between work.

Please, PLEASE check out that thread about the crimes happening right now, www.abovetopsecret.com...
Is THIS our future as prices go up and make people more desperate??

Or you all just gunna write me off as a "left leaning" Barack Obama?

EDIT: Ugh... Typos..

[edit on 29-5-2008 by LostNemesis]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Ok Einstein,

To appease you, I am quitting my job, losing my home and I am going to forage in dumpsters for the rest of my life while living in a box in the park. To hell with my family. They don't need to eat or have clothes on their backs either.

That'll really stick it to the man!!!!!

The only solution to the problems at hand is for EVERYONE to take that little w4 form, and write "exempt". Then by next April everyone will be free.

Now that idea is a lot better than yours as I will not suffer like some dumb martyr while trying to make some point that still eludes me.

And as for oil and all that, there is plenty right here in the states and as soon as there is no government to try and control it from starving them to death, we can open those taps back up and go right back to business.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Critical_Mass

Ok Einstein,

To appease you, I am quitting my job, losing my home and I am going to forage in dumpsters for the rest of my life while living in a box in the park. To hell with my family. They don't need to eat or have clothes on their backs either.

The only solution to the problems at hand is for EVERYONE to take that little w4 form, and write "exempt". Then by next April everyone will be free.

BAH!!! lol

Do you really think that w4 form thing would work?? Tax eluders get in big trouble, but if we ALL decided to not pay, how could they go after us all??
I would love it if people who don't agree with where their tax dollers are going, would just stop paying for it! Maybe most people are too busy to look at the issues, and agree or disagree with them.

TAXATION without REPRESENTATION... Doesnt anyone else but me think this is happening? Why doesn't anyone care?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Maybe this is an issue for another thread COMPLETELY, but....

Doesn't anyone else think that their federal(not local) tax dollars only go to supporting the corruption going on? You know, we are paying for them to make the government bigger, just to control us more??

Thank you poster above, your perspective gives a lot more to think about. Maybe another topic for another time, though.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Just a little slighty longish note. Im from the UK and we pay around £1.30 a litre over here which works out at £5.85 per gallon. If it were the US thats an ASTONISHING $11.75 per gallon!!!

If you think its bad where you guys are try living over here. I spend half my wages getting to work for crying out loud! after getting to work for the month I then have income tax, council tax on my home, sales tax, insurance tax, road tax, value added tax, road tolls to pay, parking tickets, cigarette tax, alcohol tax and if thats not bad then even when I die I have to pay for tax on my funeral damn it.

I keep hearing everyone screaming how bad are we going to let it get etc

ITS ALREADY THAT BAD!

I wish the British were more like Americans in terms of the anger threshold and I often wonder what happened to the people in the 70's who used to riot if things got even a sniff worse in the UK. It seems we are all part of a psychological world now where moaning gets it done and actions really dont speak louder than words. If you speak too loud though you must be nuts or a threat to the country.

Anyways im just going to sit down and stop the typing now as thats my rant done with. Maybe ill win the lottery or something but even then id still struggle to get by in the long run.

Phew

This country makes me sick sometimes

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I hadnt noticed you had already pointed the fuel prices in the UK out

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by acewilliams
They say that buisness is built on suply and demand, so why dont we lower the demand?

... or demand the supply.

Yeah, i said it.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

To you, and everyone else in other countries pointing out what you pay for fuel... The shame is, it's been this way for a WHILE, for you. The high prices making it difficult to just go out and drive for fun, and have the freedom to. I think they've enjoyed keeping you guys limited in your freedom to drive.

Driving has been an affordable luxury in the US for far too long, as I've heard that they were keeping it artifically low. Just so that we could develop and get used to this lifestyle, and how we all depend and rely on it. Truckers were mentioned. Our entire economy relies on affordable transporation, and transport of goods.

Maybe it's been in the plans all along to let us develop this economy that depended on cheap fuel, just so that when we started to catch up to the rest of the world, it would HURT most people.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I hear you guys, But how do you get everyone to stop buying gas, If everyone would convert to public transportation and stop going to walmarts, Witch is part of the problem! The people can stop this if we just would all get together and do it, But people are just to spoiled, Believe me it's bad every where< I live in Missouri and it's right at 4 dollars a gallon. If we don't stop the Government right now were not going to.
We set back and let Bush lie to us and take us into his private war at our expence.
Why doesn't G.W.B. want to get Bin laden, It never took him long to get Sadam who wouldn't sell his oil to em and threat'nd his dad by putting an contract on him.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join