It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas thieves starting to hit the streets

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Its not jut cars- I know of someone who has been going to empty homes (many here during the winter months) and syphoned heating oil in order to be able to heat their homes and their children!!

Icant blame people with families going to extremes

There's also what i call the hose bangers: You drive to every gas station and take the hose and put it in your tank, bang it couple of times and it may just give you two drops, but at the end of the day it adds up.

Its every man for himsef. And i cant sayi blame these people at all.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Here in Australia a report on the nightly news was saying number plates were being stolen. They then put them on thier car filled up and drove away, the managers of the fuel stations would call the police and when they ran the plates through the database found they could do nothing as they were stolen and were on the wrong vehicle. It would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack to find them.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Anyone know somewhere I can get the plans for that Mad Max gas tank boobytrap from Thunderdome?

Interesting note from western Washington, the Safeway store in North Bend put in a gas station across the street from the supermarket. The manager was telling me that they constantly have people who fuel up, then drive off, only to discover they were confused and were going across the street to pay for their gas at the grocery store instead of inside the station itself. I believe that effectively put an end to their pump, then pay policy here.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Willbert
Has anyone found an "official" response from a government official on what they are doing with the windfall due to the increase of tax revenue from the increased cost of gas?

I can understand when a government "budgets" their books based on their income.. but I'm sure someone is grinning at all this additional dollars rolling in.

Just wondering why the MSM is not covering how "happy" someone is with all these additional funds.

Here in T.O. Ontario their planning to cut a few recreational locations due to insufficient funds.. and also include "fees" to maintain some of the remainders.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by Willbert]

Actually, if people buy less gas and drive less, the government will make less off the tax because you do not pay per dollar; you pay per gallon. I believe that the federal tax on gas is around $.30 per gallon, and then your state tax is something else. Ours in Washington is around $.20 per gallon.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by scarlett1125
Actually, if people buy less gas and drive less, the government will make less off the tax because you do not pay per dollar; you pay per gallon. I believe that the federal tax on gas is around $.30 per gallon, and then your state tax is something else. Ours in Washington is around $.20 per gallon.

You have that backwards, actually. Federal gas tax is about $0.18 a gallon, our state (WA) tax is currently $0.36 a gallon. We're paying, I believe, 3rd highest in the nation behind California and Conneticutt.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Federal Employees Are Stealing Gas From the Military:

These fuel prices are getting way out of hand. Now federal employees are stealing gas from the military bases they work at, and risk losing their careers. I seen some person the other day get out of their delivery truck , they were delivering something to the base, bakery good from the looks of the truck. Opened up the back of the truck , take out a large 5 gallon gas container and try to fill it up at a military pump for Military vehicles. of course you need a special card for this and a military vehicle, but this guy kept trying to make the pump work. The attendant told him that those pump were for the military vehicles. To make a long story short they put this guy in cuffs and.. shackles ! , then hauled him off.

Yep, Energy Crime is up from The Oil Executives to the common street thugs. Never thought I would ever put that in one sentence. Well , the military base where I live has just started to ask for pay in advance for cash transactions. This is due to the many drive off’s they have been having. Well should I say attempted drive offs. I mean come on... Not just anyone these day’s can just drive on to a military base. You need an ID to get though the gate where there is armed security forces, same as when your leaving. There is 50\50 chance you might make it past the gate going out. ( maybe some have made it. ) If you run the gate going in or out you might be considered a gate runner which in turn you might get shot. All the fuel station person has to do is notify the security forces at the gates. It not hard. and your busted. How stupid can these people be ?

But here what gets me . If you’re a civilian employees that works on a military base. You will lose your job that’s a fact. not to mention being charged with a federal crime. The law is different when you’re on a military base. If you break a law it’s usually federal in just about any case, not a mistermeaner. Why would anyone risk their job for a tank of gas ? not to mention. You will be blackballed from any federal employment. or employment with a federal contractor.

The Military Bases have gas station that look like civilian gas stations in most part they are. The fuel is also .10 to .15 less vs, a regular gas station off the base. But they are for the military personal and their families and retired personal with military ID. The Military has been very lenient about letting civilian base personal use these pumps and buying gas for their own use. But that is going to come to a stop very soon. I’m told you will have to your military ID to Use the pumps. sometime soon Don't know when. So no more civilian fill ups at a cheap price anymore.

The Morel of the story ,
Don’t steal, and don’t steal from a military base !

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
In the UK, fuel is £5 a gallon, I think. By my calculations that's $9.85 a gallon.

No one in the UK is drilling holes in the side of tankers, though.

Just an observation.

LW

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneWeasel

I would love to see someone drill the side of a tanker!!

My advice would always be 'go with the oxy - acetylene cutting torch mate... It's a lot quicker!'

I don't think you will find tankers being drilled just yet - it's the fuel tanks of cars and trucks mainly - and espically the newer plastic sort because there is less chance of a spark from your cordless drill - mind you the tanks on trucks/buses and well Ok petrol tankers hold a huge amount of diesel - so they must also be very tempting.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Yes...most of the self service stations around here are in fact..pay first..or use credit card.

I just heard of this buisness about drilling gasoline tanks last night at work from some of the other guys in my crew. This is going to be a disaster for someone who doesnt do it properly ...just one time.

Also I agree with the poster who posted about the loss of tax revenue..if people purchase less gasoline. Government in all thier sophisticated wisdom will of course raise the gasoline tax to make up for lost revenue...ie....entitlement.

There is a notocabale increase in motorcycle, moped, and scooter traffic where I work. Bicycle traffic too for those who live closer. I predict this trend will continue.
I have been riding my moped to and fro work for many many years now.
I have also heard from the guy down the street that our city has plans in the works to begin licensing and taxing mopeds and scooters. This guy works for the city government. They are currently not regulated in this manner. What I am hearing is that they are forecasting for many familys to begin selling off their stock of cars at the increasing price of gasoline They dont want the loss of tax revenue and will shift the burden to other areas. More government entitlement mentality.

I am thinking too..that more of the small mom and pop neighborhood stores will be coming back if gasoline/diesel prices keep going through the roof as public transportation here in the states is not as developed as in Europe.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
reply to post by LoneWeasel

I don't think you will find tankers being drilled just yet - it's the fuel tanks of cars and trucks mainly - and espically the newer plastic sort because there is less chance of a spark from your cordless drill - mind you the tanks on trucks/buses and well Ok petrol tankers hold a huge amount of diesel - so they must also be very tempting.

Oh - OK then, in which case, I take it all back - the hysteria's not a problem after all if they're only going for cars...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I think part of the problem with drilling the tanks is that most vehicles have a convoluted fill pipe or even baffles that make it impossible to siphon. So if you can't siphon, just drill a hole.

You cannot fight crime with anti-crime devices. The only one I know of that works comes in 12-gauge size. I've used this particular one for many years and only once have lost gas (back in the late 70s). A friend of mine saw the thieves' car parked on a side road a few days later and got me. We blocked them in with his car, he stepped out with his 'long tom' (12-gauge magnum with a 36" barrel, full choke), and I stepped out with my Russian double-barreled 12-gauge (rabbit-ear, full/modified, factory 20" barrel) and my .357 stainless S&W in a holster around my hip. The thieves burnt rubber in reverse to get out of there while we watched laughing. I haven't been down into that bottom land where they were heading since then, but I imagine the car is still there. It would take a heck of a wrecker bill (and maybe a tractor) to pull something out of that swamp. Anyway, no more gas theft, and we didn't even have to waste ammo.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Thanks for the correction. I knew that the total was over $0.50.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
In case you didn't see this . . .
70-year-old steals thousands of gallons of gas

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Just spoke with someone who works for a local school district. They have a fuel pump that is meant for district vehicles only, but he admitted that he and several other employees have been fueling up their own cars there for months now. Of course, they are risking their careers and retirement doing so, but the taxpayers are paying for them to get around for the time-being.

MBF

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

You cannot fight crime with anti-crime devices. The only one I know of that works comes in 12-gauge size. I've used this particular one for many years and only once have lost gas (back in the late 70s).
TheRedneck

I have also found that .30-.30 works very well. I used that one time. It solved the theft problems we were having in the area.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
reply to post by Now_Then

Are you saying that this van can measure the emissions of your car just by driving past, and then sending you a letter to tune it up? That's the first I've heard of this.

The People's Commonwealth of Virginia has had those sniffers for quite a while. All the car hot-rodders know about them. *Sniff* *SNAP* and mail a letter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join