It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas thieves starting to hit the streets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Gas thieves starting to hit the streets

news.yahoo.com

The soaring price of crude oil has turned gas tanks into a cache of valuable booty, and Fortin has replaced several tanks punctured or drilled by thieves thirsting for the nearly $4-a-gallon fuel inside.

"That's the new fad," said the co-owner of Dearborn Auto Tech in Detroit. "I'd never seen it before gas got up this high."

While gas station drive-offs and siphoning are far more common methods of stealing gas, reports of tank and line puncturing are starting to trickle into police departments and repair shops across the country.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
That's a little frightening to see when your gas tank drains out when you are at work, or on the highway. It would be time to titaniumize our gas tanks folks! :O

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
If someone WANTS what you have there is very LITTLE you can do about it. Especially when it comes to cars. THEY WILL find a way. Deal with it and call the cops ....or post 24/7 armed security around your vehicle

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
If someone WANTS what you have there is very LITTLE you can do about it. Especially when it comes to cars. THEY WILL find a way. Deal with it and call the cops ....or post 24/7 armed security around your vehicle

I don't know. I like the idea of offering them a cigarette and letting the insurance clean up the mess.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I live in a semi-rural area, so lots of building sites and lots of farm land in close proxmity, a bit problem round here (well if you call it a problem - can't say I'm at all concerned) is the availability of red diesel... Don't know what you americans might call it - it's ment for tractors and that sort of vehicle, quite crude and much cheaper. People either give someone a back hand wad of cash, or just plain knick it.

I only say this because over the last 6 months or so an unmarked van has been parked up at choke points in the city. I've had a peekie in the back - it's a shed load of computing equipment - the bloke also has several sensors to sniff the air going all the way back down the road - thins is all done under the pretence of polloution monitoring - but what with the automatic number plate recognition going on people are getting letters telling them to get their car tuned!!!

Would not like to drive past that bad boy with a tank of red diesel - or even used oil from the chip shop (you need to pay tax and show aa certificate for used oil!?)... you can bet that the very next cop car with the numberplate gadget will be taking down your particulars! - I think the govt has forseen these sort of problems and planned ahead - this way they make money on the tax AND on the fines.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Are you saying that this van can measure the emissions of your car just by driving past, and then sending you a letter to tune it up? That's the first I've heard of this.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

Four bucks a gallon?? You should see what the Brits are paying if you think that's bad - try around $4.00 a LITRE! Yep.... that's right! To a Brit, $4.00 a gallon would be a dream come true....

J.

MBF

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Would not like to drive past that bad boy with a tank of red diesel - or even used oil from the chip shop (you need to pay tax and show aa certificate for used oil!?)... you can bet that the very next cop car with the numberplate gadget will be taking down your particulars! - I think the govt has forseen these sort of problems and planned ahead - this way they make money on the tax AND on the fines.

I think we all pay TOO MUCH in taxes to pay but holes like these to come up with ways to cost us more money.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I lost the link but there is a similar one relating to the amount of boat fuel being stolen right now. Boat owners and marinas are in a panic since few people check the gauges after filling up. They let the boat sit for a day or two and they head on out. Bad deal.

Years ago there were some gas theives that installed several electric fuel pumps on the back of a flat bed truck with a five 55 gallon drums on the back. They would pull in and run as many hoses to as many cars as they could and drain them all at once. That pretty much stopped now that there are a lot of parking lot cameras around, but it looks like the crazies are at it again.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here in Albuquerque there were some gas thieves that had a trailer with a hole in the bottom, and they would go to a gas station and park it over the storage tanks and then they would siphon it out throught the hole in the trailer.

Pretty smart.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I talked to a contractor at my work last week and he was telling me that gas theft is rampant out in California right now where he's from. The other new thing that people are doing (new to me at least) is climbing under a parked car with a small handheld saw and stealing the catalytic converters. Zip, Zip...they run away with the converter in under a minute. Converters contain platinum, so it's quick buck at a junk yard.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
hi there,

nowthen is correct , i have seen these vans in Lincolnshire, also there are marked VOSA vans and checkpoints , they will stop you and `dip` your tank to see if it is red diesel.

here in the UK red diesel is a lot cheaper than normal diesel but can only be used in agricultural vehicles that only do a max of 4 miles a week on the public roads.

we too have also had boats raided of their fuel, there a lot of canal boats around here and it is getting a real big problem.

and as i stated in the fuel price thread, here in the UK it is $9.26 a gallon !!!
take care

snoopyuk

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Has anyone found an "official" response from a government official on what they are doing with the windfall due to the increase of tax revenue from the increased cost of gas?

I can understand when a government "budgets" their books based on their income.. but I'm sure someone is grinning at all this additional dollars rolling in.

Just wondering why the MSM is not covering how "happy" someone is with all these additional funds.

Here in T.O. Ontario their planning to cut a few recreational locations due to insufficient funds.. and also include "fees" to maintain some of the remainders.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by Willbert]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Hey I thought this was my thread. Where does the credit go? first poster?

Oh well mods can kill the little one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

Four bucks a gallon?? You should see what the Brits are paying if you think that's bad - try around $4.00 a LITRE! Yep.... that's right! To a Brit, $4.00 a gallon would be a dream come true....

But the Brits, and Europeans in general are not as reliant on private transport, and trucked goods.

Not to mention the fact that the US happens to be one of the largest producers of refined petroleum. So why shouldn't we be paying something like the twelve cents a gallon they charge in Venezuala?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Since the spike in prices after hurricane Katrina, a person that I know has been siphoning fuel from people's houses when his heating oil runs out. Not really for profit or anything. It's not like you can carry off a Winter's supply. But he has been stealing a few day's worth here and there to keep his daughter warm.

I lived in an apartment building, but had to pay for my own heating oil. Each apartment had their own tank. I caught my neighbor running a hose from my tank to his the last Winter I was there. I had all I could do to keep from punching the guy, considering that I couldn't afford to turn my heat above 55 degrees all Winter.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Here in Eastern Ontario it is up to $1.28 / liter.

There have been reports on AM radio about pump and run, fill and flee, pick your favourite expression. I had to laugh because they interviewed a gas station attendant and he said he doesn't bother reporting "small" incidents to police anymore because the police just laugh at him and say "well, they are across the border". The Quebec border that is - LOL. Like they don't have any laws over there

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

I got fired from a job at a gas station because I had too many "drive-offs" on my shifts. They accused me of not doing anything to stop the people, and let it be known that they suspected I was "collaborating" somehow with the thieves.

Of course, if I had actually chased someone and was hurt, they would have said that it was against policy and therefore I should be fired and pay for my own injuries.

Not to mention the fact that I told them they should go to the "pay-first" format, especially after dark. They didn't want to "alienate" any good customers. So then I suggested that they at least put up cameras that could read the license plates. No dice.

I got fired, and then wondered if perhaps it was the manager who was actually collaborating all along after an audit of the internal inventory came up short, and it came out that his brother owned a competing mini-mart.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
i am a welder by trade and worked over 2 yrs on the oil rigs welding broked equipment..for 9 months i worked on a oil field testing rig in the north sea and when they found oil reserves that contained less than 5 million barrels (( appox)) they just capped it at sea bed level and said it would not have been cost effective to pump it out....they world is full of oil and the greedy oil company's are just holding back and making the motorist suffer for there greed...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Regarding the increased demand issue, one of the issues driving up prices so we are told, the producers have increased output more than once already to cope.
If there was a supply issue, we'd see news of this and reports of the shortages, big lines at pumps etc but, there are no such reports. Mmmmmm... maybe they are lying to us again?

Secondly, the reports of the likes of Bush, the US congress and Gordon Brown all of a sudden shifting the blame onto the producers / OPEC nations. The producers do not set the price of the oil and the gas at the pumps, the stock market boys do, based on the old supply and demand, disruption of supply (real or imagined / speculative) and any other excuse they can think of whilst trying to keep a straight face.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join