It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The $1 Billion Dollar "X" Prize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Governor Mike Huckabee, while campaigning for president, put forth one or two very good ideas that were often not discussed in length by the MSM. One of his Ideas was to put forth a billion dollar prize to the individual who could mass produce an engine that had a fuel economy over 100 mpg.
I loved the sentiment, and barring the already glaring problem of government overspending for little result, I also felt that there was a need to take this one step further.
Energy costs have a ridiculous impact on our daily lives. To think of the costs that are associated with our food alone, starting at the farming level all the way to you preparing it, I find that many do not understand the TRUE economic, social, and political benefits of a cheap energy alternative. The use of energy was at one point only a miniscule portion of the overall costs of our products. Now, it eats up a huge portion of our labor's fruit.
Jumping this last hurdle, although eliminating many industries, would provide man the true peak of his potential.
It would allow unlimited fresh water around the world, as energy costs are a huge portion of both desalinization and water transportation costs.
If all vehicles, and all homes and businesses, had unlimited extremely cheap energy, huge amounts of money could be freed up for both lifestyle gains and the advancement of our society.
These same companies who complain of the loss of their industry would see huge gains in other fields as companies and people look to spend their resources else where. It would eliminate the stranglehold most dictators have on their people, as well as limit the need for our current resource wars.
The diets of those in all areas would become rich in vegetables and fruits, as growing year round would become possible in all areas.

So my question is this; Is the technology there to support this theory, and is the resolve of any billionaire or voting bloc strong enough to implement this challenge?
Would a prize of this nature produce a generator to provide our needs while not polluting, and eliminate the need for fossil fuels?

OP's note: I am preparing a series of essays, of which this is a minor topic, and would really enjoy the input that some of you may offer. Any reference or opinion made by a poster will be credited in my final essays, which I will begin posting this summer.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Honda's solution
This is one solution that my engineering buddy had found for me... I know they are also working on a hydrogen one....

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
So I take it, that no one thinks this Idea capable of starting a revolutionary technological age? Or do they think that no one would take this seriously? Why the flag and star but no input?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Already been done by Honda.

GX-35

Goes on motorbikes:

Island Hopper

Gets 128 mpg.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

The people with the resources to devlop this tech.are not going to rock the boat.All the big money people are in bed together.If you still believe that there is no such thing as price fixxing,just look at the prices of the goods and services you purchase.High fuel prices mean profit for big oil.High farm prices mean profit for large companies that are diversified.
It's going to be up to the little guy to beat the system.But it will have to be done with out government knowledge as unlimited cheap energy would devestate this oil fueled economy

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

However, I don't want 126 mpg. I believe that we can eliminate all fossil fuels. Ocean current generators and hydrogen fuel cells are one alternative, am I wrong in assuming that there are others, especially concerning the Electrical and power needs of ALL industry?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

However it would free up Trillions for companies and private citizens to use in other areas. The profit lost on oil would be recouped in spades by the developments in other areas of the economy.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Is there any chance that someone on here late at night might have something to add to this?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I think it is a good idea. I just can't understand why we now revere 32mpg as good when 20 years ago we were able to buy affordable cars that got 50, 60+?

We are being screwed and lied to.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

well just today on the BBC, (Boy I love my news) they had a segment showing that the gas in England is 9 USD per gallon, and in the netherlands, 12. So it seems to me that gas is not the way to go. What I see is that we need to explain to the big-wigs, in simple economic terms, that this is actually the last hurdle to true free-enterprise, exploration, advancement and expansion?

And cars back then were limited to 55 mph, and had less weight and less power.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

last hurdle to true free-enterprise, exploration, advancement and expansion?

Unfortunately there are people who make billions of dollars if we don't jump that hurdle. You can bet that with all of their money and power that they will hold on to oil as long as physically possible.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yes, but jumping this hurdle will truly open up all the markets of the world to their pop culture conglomerates!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
look.

THE FIRESTORM SPARK PLUG HAS BEEN TESTED ALREADY AND GIVES OVER 100 MPG.

In other words Robert Krupa's spark plug already gives you a 100 mpg.

nobody want its though as they are all stuck in a mental rut.

see the separate thread about the firestorm plug.

when i suggested people test it or duplicate it this spark plug they all run for the hills, prefering sit on their backsides and argue about it on the internet.

The lazy sods.

they prefer to argue on the internet.

if you win an argument on the internet it is like the special olympics you are still a .......

test it yourself.

FireStorm's Capabilities First, let's look at what Krupa's FireStorm spark plugs give an internal combustion engine: • More horsepower; • 44–50% increase in mpg; • Dramatic decrease in emissions. Second, let's see what FireStorm plugs eliminate: • Smog pump; • Catalytic converter; • Radio frequency interference (RFI) and the use of resistors in the centre electrode; • Gap growth; • Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) systems; • Misfire/hesitation/detonation/stutter and stumble.

How, you may ask, is all this achieved? In a word, plasma. The revolutionary design of FireStorm spark plugs creates an electric plasma that fills the entire combustion chamber like a firestorm. It allows you to take an internal combustion engine from the standard 14.7:1 air-to-fuel ratio to an incredibly lean 24:1. At this ratio, all the air/fuel mixture is burned much more efficiently without increasing heat, thus giving an engine more power and fuel economy while creating much less pollution. That's the good news The bad news is that you can't buy a set of FireStorm spark plugs anywhere right now. No spark plug company wants to make them.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by esecallum]

[edit on 28-5-2008 by esecallum]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

It is about more than just CARS!

It is about more than just CARS!

Think of EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING that requires energy. I'm talking about the BIG picture, no offense. I have read, and agree with all of these types of mods. I have some myself. So star for you!

[edit on 28-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   

The powerful people in the energy market probably don't really care about pedaling pop culture. As it is right now, you need them to live. Society needs them just to function. I don't think the appeal of emerging markets outweighs the power of having a monopoly on the current building blocks of society.

I am sorry for detracting from your thread. You don't need a negative nancy like my in here.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

www.libertypost.org...

all your questions answered about the spark plug.

well vehicles do use a huge fraction of the oil.buses,cars,trailers...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
read THIS article
its what im currently trying to do

and star and flag for the thread, nice topic

[edit on 29-5-2008 by babylonstew]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
my only concern with a 100mpg+ car is how much the gas price will go up. If people only need about...one liter to get 26 mpg, it seems kinda obvious that the price for gas should increase (being in a bigwig company thought process that is, i do good at that)

This is why i think instead of Huckabee challenging a 100mpg engine, he should have challenged (for the same $billion prize) a working car that completely fossil fuel free. An offer like this makes me glad he dropped out, he just doesn't quite get the economy and what needs improvement.

new topics

top topics

join