It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military: Your Opinion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
OK, I've been thinking about where my future is going to take me, and I've been considering some part of the military.
I live in the United States and I'm wondering which branch, if any, I should join.
I know that the Marines are the "elite" of the US military, but flying planes in the Air Force would be respectable as well.
Then again there's the Army...and that's just that- the ARMY.

I would really appreciate anyone's opinion on which part to go check out.
On the other hand, I would also appreciate anyone's opinion on the military in general

Thanks
~louiekid333~

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I have heard that the Air Forces accommodations are the best. They are also more technical. My friend went into the Navy and got to travel around the world. He also partied like a mad man and became a raging drunk.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Concerning the Air Force remember only a very small percentage of the people in the Air Force actually are pilots. I would reccommend that you check out all branchs. Very carefully and take what any recruiter tells you with a heck of a lot of salt. I'm former Army myself.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
are you really so bored that you're willing to put yourself into situations where you could be killed? Go play chicken in the road or something. The millitary couldn't give a f*** about you. Just more meat for the grinder. You'll never catch me joining any armed forces. Blow that for a laugh. A mate of mine came out of the army recently,he's a mess. His head is all full of stuff he's seen and stuff he's done. he can't sleep and he can barely look himself in the mirror.

I'd make properly sure that this is where you want to take your life. Sure,you'll get to see lots of countries. You'll also get to see the whites of a mans eyes as you kill him. That's the kind of stuff that never goes away.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

You should probably do some research into the percentage of the armed forces personell who actually serve in combat situations and you will find that it's way less than 100%

The military can be a great opportunity to advance your career depending on what you would like to do although if you want to be in the infantry and be involved in combat operations, the Army or Marine Corps would probably be a good fit.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Thanks...acid, I have plenty of family who have been in the military, and the only ones that are messed up are the ones that have been in 'Nam...
Has anyone been in or is anyone currently in the Military?
What would you suggest?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
yeah,sorry. I'm slightly anti stuff like the military. This may or may not have come across in my post

edit to say,what ever you choose to do in your life Louiekid333,I wish you the very best luck.

[edit on 29/5/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Yeah, I kind of figured that out...
Why are you so anti-military?
It's not that I'm bored with my life...just that I wish to do more for my country. And the experience, of course!

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
You could do stuff for your country by going to college, getting involved in your community, organizing a group of people to clean up the highways, and many other ways.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
My time in The United States Marine Corps was the single finest time in my life.

It made me who and what I am today.

I credit all of my success, my fortune and my happiness to the Marine Corp and what the Corp taught me and instilled in me.

Just my opinion as requested...

Semper

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Most people in the military will say that you should join whatever branch they're serving in. I am partial to the Air Force, as that's what I'm in. I love being in the military so far (I've been in 5 1/2 years). Perhaps the best thing for you to do would be do a little research about all of the branches and if you have any questions post them here or on the boards here. Just make sure when you talk to any recruiter that you verify anything they tell you (like signing bonuses, etc.)

If you need anything else feel free to ask.

[edit on 2/6/08 by secret titan]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Ok, I have a few questions...
Semper- I've heard that the Marine Corps was the hardest branch to get into... is it mostly physical fitness? Because I'm not the chiseled body that most people think of in the Marines...Would I have a chance to get in?
Secret- What percentage (in your opinion) of people in the Air Force actually go overseas and fly into action? Is that what you do? What different types of aircraft are used?...oh and where are you in the Air Force?(country)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I wouldn't risk military, especially at a time like this, full of tension, worries about ww3, you won't know what to expect, and for what would you be fighting for?, nobody gets to fight to protect their country now, they fight for personal goverment needs, all I'm saying is it's not easy these days, when the world, even your own goverment( slave - master relationship) etc won't respect you for trying to help.

But I would agree with air force, always wanted to try that. Anyway if you go ahead, good luck, and remember most importantly enjoy it!

[edit on 2-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
If you want to be a pilot in the Air Force, this link will give you a little more information. You need to be an officer to be a pilot (requires at least a 4/yr degree). As for my job, I am an Orbital Analyst, so I there is a possibility of doing that once I get out and I could make more money. This job is mainly in the continental US and I'm currently stationed in CO.

As for the percentage of pilots and types of aircraft we use....... I will have to get back to you on that one. I would say only about 10% of people in the AF are pilots, but that may even be a high number. Unfortunately, I haven't been stationed at any bases that have a large number of aircraft.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by secret titan

As for the percentage of pilots and types of aircraft we use....... I will have to get back to you on that one. I would say only about 10% of people in the AF are pilots, but that may even be a high number. Unfortunately, I haven't been stationed at any bases that have a large number of aircraft.

That would make sense, maybe less than 10%.
Compare it to F1 racing, you have a massive team of different people with different skills, doing the calculations,engineering, planning etc etc, but you only have one driver!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
even your own goverment ... won't respect you for trying to help.

It's not necessarily the government that I would care about respect from...
It's the people that really matter

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by louiekid333

Its mostly mental. A physically strong man is useless when bullets or loud explosions are going all around him and he freeze.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by louiekid333

Hi louiekid333. Have you considered the Coast Guard? I only say that because my husband served four years and enjoyed every minute of it. He's been all over and the training he received was invaluable and set him up for the career that he still has.

I just wanted to throw that out there, good luck to you whatever you decide.

Rush

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Louiekid333 I have a question for you .

Do you intend to join one of the services as a NCO or an officer ?

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Assuming NCO means Non-Combat-Officer or something similar, I would
probably join to be an officer...

And rush, I hadn't even thought of the Coast Guard until now... I'll definitely check it out!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join