It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York signs off on Real ID, allows for seamless Mexico-Canada travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It was just announced today that New York is going to start to issue new drivers license that allow seamless travel between mexico-canada by the end of the summer. This eliminates the need for a passport. Looks like this is in preparation for the NAFTA superhighway through mexico-canada and possible real id/rfid licenses.

Seems odd that right after Governor Elliott Spitzer is booted, the new guy approves this. Could the Spitzer scandal have been cooked up and politically motivated in order to get a large powerful state like New York to finally sign off on Real ID?

Governor David A. Paterson today announced an agreement between New York State and the Federal Department of Homeland Security (DHS) permitting the state to issue an Enhanced Driver License (EDL). The new license is being developed by the State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), and it will boost the Upstate economy by expediting cross-border land and sea travel for the citizens of the State. The secure document can be used in place of a passport, which will soon be required for all border crossings by next summer. It is anticipated that the EDL will be available from the DMV by the end of the summer.

www.ny.gov...

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Dropping the passport idea was good.

But what is so special about the new drivers license.

Do you need a birth certificate at the DMV?

ED:

The secure document can be used in place of a passport, which will soon be required for all border crossings by next summer. It is anticipated that the EDL will be available from the DMV by the end of the summer.

Wait a minuet. Sure that will help the Upstaters until the passport
requirement.
This is all because of 911 which was a fake.
What about tourism in Canada, do they trust New Yorkers .
Yeah, mostly traveling Mexican workers.

[edit on 5/27/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
^ I think they mean the new license will be required to cross borders in 09... idk

[edit on 27-5-2008 by rline928]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
anyone have any opinions?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Initially it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I grew up in NY before moving to ottawa area last year, september 2006 actually. Initially it seems good. I think we'd need to know more about it. As long as theres no tracking microchip in it, I think it can be ok.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by theknuckler]

join