It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GenNext explosives more powerful and greener

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

GenNext explosives more powerful and greener

timesofindia.indiatimes.com

WASHINGTON: Scientists in Germany are reporting development of a new generation of explosives that is more powerful than TNT and other existing explosives, less apt to detonate accidentally, and produce fewer toxic byproducts.

In a new study, Thomas M. Klapotke and Carles Miro Sabate point out that conventional explosives such as TNT, RDX and HMX, widely-used in military weapons, are rich in carbon and tend to produce toxic gases upon ignition.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What the hack so now we have Environment friendly explosive !!

timesofindia.indiatimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i was always under the impression that explosives are supposed to be environmentally unfriendly?

Since when did people start trying to put smiley faces on landmines?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Whew! I was worried I'd have to use the politically incorrect stuff at my next barbecue. I like to shoo folks away from the pit with a final blast just to make sure nobody gets burnt reaching for a wing or a hot dog.

Green explosives is like making, uh, I don't know, cherry vanilla arsenic?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Sweet now we don't have to worry about destroying the environment when we kill more people! What will we think of next!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Basically, these compounds are stronger versions of the explosives powering air-bags but the green line is pure PR. The ignorant public is fed this line about greener explosives and blah blah blah.

The generals get the other PR line:
Gentlemen, with these explosives you can carpet bomb an entire city and move troops in before the smoke has even cleared without any adverse effect on battlefield medical statistics.

Jon

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Whoopee! People will be blown into even tinier pieces by these more powerful, but green, explosives thus getting round the issue of environmentally unfriendly cremation and time consuming burial.

These people are to be congratulated on their efforts to cut down the carbon footprint of future warfare, thus ensuring a more green and pleasant land for whoever is left after the smoke clears.

Doesn't that give you all a warm fuzzy feeling inside?

Hitting people with clubs or stabbing with pointy sticks still beats this stuff and adds that (up close and) personal touch too.

new topics

top topics

join