It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

real life magic

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hm.. I feel like I should make a short entry into this topic.

It looks like at least one of Dave420's arguments has been misunderstood.

Please correct me if I’m wrong on this Dave420.

Everything that happens, happens within the realm of physics. It doesn’t matter if it's a bumble bee flying or dare I say a ghost. The fact of the matter is, it _does_ happen within the realm of physics. It can be “electronified” if you will.

A quote from the movie (paraphrased) "The Man from Earth" - Supernatural.. a stupid word.. Everything that happens, happens within nature, whether we believe it or not.

At least one of the problems seems to take basis in this simple misunderstanding.

However, to answer the OP. Who knows, the earth is young after galactic standards. Mankind, even younger. Science as we know it, is very young. And there are bound to be some elements from nature we do not understand. But no, I can’t point you in any direction regarding your goal.

So.. Today’s magic, tomorrow’s science.

I trust I made myself understood, English is in no way my native language.
Best regards=)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The starting point for studying magic for many people is the book "Transcendental Magic" by Eliphas Levi

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211913208&sr=8-1

Most practitioners are not out in the open, and you are therefore not going to get much in the way of scentific analysis of this type of thing.

A different ground breaking work is "Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain"

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211913441&sr=1-1

This lists many scientific studies of psychic phenomena. The west has lagged the Soviet Union in the scientific study of these matters, although I guess the CIA involvement in remote viewing is well documented.

And dont forget, Helen Duncan in 1944 was arrested when she received a message from a sailor on a ship in the meditteranean during the war. Only problem, the ship had sunk and the incident was known only to the top brass. Instead of celebrating this amazing piece of proof that we survive death, she was imprisoned under the archaic "Witchcraft Legislation" (I forget the exact legal term).

Sad really.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
As far as some kind of "history" of the origin of magic... I'd guess that the first man to be able to create fire would've been considered a magician or sorcerer. Everything that happens that science can't explain has been attributed, at one time or another, as being magic.

History of Magick

When we are children fear, fantasy and magic are all around us. The Wizard of Oz, Merlin, Witches and Wizards with amazing powers....carrying wands, and wearing robes and pointy hats, casting spells and causing great sparks of light and showers of frogs. Transforming into animals, flying, foretelling the future and travelling to other worlds.

Where do we get these images of these secret creatures and their magic?

The image of the fictional Wizard with his cauldron, wand, broomstick and spells is not just the stuff of fairytales, it is rooted in figures like the Shaman, The Druids, Witchdoctors and Wisemen throughout history.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
however our science can't explain why they fly but they do,

Nonsense, of course there's an explanation...

Once he sobered up, however, the aerodynamicist surely realized what the problem was--a faulty analogy between bees and conventional fixed-wing aircraft. Bees' wings are small relative to their bodies. If an airplane were built the same way, it'd never get off the ground. But bees aren't like airplanes, they're like helicopters. Their wings work on the same principle as helicopter blades--to be precise, "reverse-pitch semirotary helicopter blades," to quote one authority. A moving airfoil, whether it's a helicopter blade or a bee wing, generates a lot more lift than a stationary one. Source

This is a classic example of why people who think "magick" is real are often considered cuckoo.....they happen to fall for nearly any old story.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

Originally posted by LDragonFire
however our science can't explain why they fly but they do,

Nonsense, of course there's an explanation...

Once he sobered up, however, the aerodynamicist surely realized what the problem was--a faulty analogy between bees and conventional fixed-wing aircraft. Bees' wings are small relative to their bodies. If an airplane were built the same way, it'd never get off the ground. But bees aren't like airplanes, they're like helicopters. Their wings work on the same principle as helicopter blades--to be precise, "reverse-pitch semirotary helicopter blades," to quote one authority. A moving airfoil, whether it's a helicopter blade or a bee wing, generates a lot more lift than a stationary one. Source

This is a classic example of why people who think "magick" is real are often considered cuckoo.....they happen to fall for nearly any old story.

With everything that we know today we were ignorant in the past at one time.

So, with magic and other phenomena it may be that science can eventually explain it but in a way that it actually learns something new i.e. unseen energies, alternate dimensions etc.

There was a time before when people didn't understand how bees fly, now they do.

It might happen with magic too.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Jinni]

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Jinni]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The discussion so far has set up the reductive dichotomy of Magick and Science. But as we enter the Quantum World, with ideas like 'The Observer as Participant' and 'Non-locality' that separation disappears.

Bringing up the "Scientific Method" is classic, boring, and old. Evolution can't be proven by the scientific method, and yet people looooove to laud that as Science. And science is a continual process of finding new truths that do away with old truths (remember when the world was flat, or the when the sun revolved around the earth?) - so what is the truth? With no truth, what is science, but Magick that has codified itself into our consensual reality.

We don't know what 80-90% of our DNA is for.

We don't know what Dark Matter is, the stuff that makes up the vast majority of mass in the universe.

So what do we really know?

We don't know if String Theory is real, or the Big Bang, but we have all kinds of theories for them. Are those theories magic or science? We're giving names to something we don't understand. Isn't that what ancient civilizations did when they said things like lightening were cause by Thor? Only now, Thor is little vibrating strings of energy, or it's a big explosion that happened billions of years ago.

Webster's defines magic as, " the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces"

99% of the technology I take for granted in my daily life would have been considered magick to someone living 500 years ago.

What's the difference between natural and supernatural? A flashlight would seem magical to someone living in the middle ages - let alone a gun - or Boom Stick.

Also, what role does tenure, the ego of scientists, and the necessity of funding do to 'scientific truth'. What about subscription and advertising dollars?

Darwin didn't know what an Atom was. Does that mean they were magic? Or that they didn't exist? No one during his time could prove that they existed? At the time they would have be supernatural.

My long and somewhat drawn out point is that science and magic are simply ways of coming to an understanding of the world, and not as different from one another as the previous posts would have you believe. Although I don't know them, I see that the people writing most of them are trapped in belief systems.

Making the issue subjective may seem like a cop-out, but quantum physics has taught us the Universe IS a subjective place. We create the consensus reality around us.

I believe the entire universe is magic, yet I read enough about science and watch enough science documentaries to understand that there are laws governing it. But those laws only serve to give strength to the idea of a magickal universe.

To me. . .DNA is magic. Physics is magic. Biology and Chemistry are magic. Evolution is magic, and the very fact that "I" exist is a magical thing. Dichotomies are prisons. Words are cages. The universe is infinite, and we really know very little as a species, despite what our egos try and tell us. This is the reality you need to open to.

Bliss,

Thuth

"The biggest conspiracy is existential"

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillThuther

Couldn't agree more!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Magic or more physical transformations?!? I personally know people who cannot wear watches, because in a day the battery is completely drained so they end of wearing one on a necklace instead. I personally have an effect on street lights when I get really angry and go take a walk at night, every light I walk under goes out. My friends think I'm weird and have seen the effect.

I am sure that some people can develop or unlock certain talents just haven't learned how yet.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Magic is real but it is low level power. Magic was also brought about by Satan and is part of the Pagans and the occult.

Disney popularized Satanic magic....

Does this mean that we live in an illusion? yes it does. everyone is really just put asleep.

The world leaders are Witches and Warlocks and I am not talking about the ones that you see on TV even though they have ties and get the orders from the unseen.

The good new is there magic is wearing off and they have no powers if you do not believe there cause which with the recent economy and the rest of the political BS going on people are saying screw you to them.

The biggest power they use is hypnotic qestures but can easily be fought off. If you always here people talk about brain washing this is one of there tools. TV is the biggest contributors and they use the media to justify there means of existing by creating false news stories to spark your hypnotic gestures they have given you.

Make sense. Now you are aware of it. If it sounds wrong then it is. They have created the biggest illusion with some physical to back it up and thats what we take as right becuase they start conditioning at a young age with the school system. The physical part will spark your hyponitic questures is the reason they physical part exist. They show you only the bad news and crimes so you have a reason for cops. They show you terrorism so you are afraid and so they have a reason for the army and want you to feel unsafe. These are your hypnotic gestures sparking in you if you feel any of the emotions that they cause. Now you know so you can get authority back.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Love is magic. So is joy and things like pleasantly unexpected surprises. Everything else is only science; however undefined much of it is. There are no gods and is no God; only other intelligent beings. Refuse to be overwhelmed, belittled!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I dabbled with magic in my younger teen years and i had so many weird experiences! However the term "Magic" and the images it conjures up in your head such as wizards and witches and demons, ghouls and gods are not real.

It isn't how people imagine it to be. Most of it is to do with your brain, trickary and illusion, like the magicians at shows and stuff. It isn't however intended for weak minded people such as teenagers and is a bunch of "Bollocks" realy!

Its fun when your a teenager but as an adult it starts turning into some sort of occult worshiping crap as many people on the internet do. But each to there own i guess.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Dave, I have to point something out. Yet first, let me say I'm not disagreeing about if Magic or Magik exists or not. It's the premise of "It's never been documented for the $1M prize" point.

If I hold something of great power and worth, entrusted only to a few... or found through great study and sacrifice myself, would I really accept $1M to show the world? A few reasons why I wouldn't.

1. I hold a power few have. Some things simply are worth more than money. Perhaps I can't poof up a fortune, but I can do things to make my life better than money can (though doing so my either help or harm depending on my mood... sort of scary really).

2. If I go under the pretense to show the World Magic, they will first screen my privately (why waste dollars on TV time for a bust?) and if I'm found to be legit could very well intend to imprison me and then study me.... possible in the not so nice Guinne Pig style. (This is ATS, Conspiricy abounds everwhere). Because, obviously, if one is willing to put a Cool Mil on it, they are sure they can get more value in return... whether monetary or otherwise.

3. The one you go to prove to is one themselves. In this case, they may have greater power. IF MAGIC EXISTS then who is to say you can't take that power from one to increase your own? Now you've walked into certain death due to greed, granting more power to one who would have it all.

3 reasons why anyone with such power probably wouldn't go up to the nice Mansion on the Hill to collect a check.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by omg aliens are so real

Here's a proof of magic... the fact that you are here! I call that magic, how our universe is so perfectly fine tuned that our complex biological body can exist!! We sometimes forget to see the big picture, it humbles you.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Having "abilities" is something one does not advertise. Magick is all around us.

The origional question of whether Wizards, Witches, etc. are real is a matter of belief for those that ask the question. We each create our realities and if we choose to have these things in our reality, then so be it.

All of life is magick...and we all have the abilities to be "Wizards and witches" if we so choose to be.

Allow life to show you what you're capable of...and loose the Fear, for that is the murderer of all magick.

reguards,

~holly

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I am a wizard and for one reason ensured here I can attest why it is not as public as you would see the normal average Joe discovering an ability boasting about, we’re not like that. Materialism doesn’t mean anything to us and we don’t need publicity. We don’t use our hard-earned abilities which take an enormous amount of work to acquire to just entertain people, equivalent to the principal of you not burning your hard earned money plus we have better uses for our workings which entertaining other does not include.

Most of you are probably thinking about “magic” well…there are no real “magicians” it’s all mortal tricks, we would prefer the term magick to differ our workings from materialistic entertainment. To answer the OP’s thread – yes there are such things and you should read more about the Wicca religion, we work to heal and only when it is needed surely ensuring the three fold law, we don’t live to entertain because we too have pride and morals, don’t expect to have a real witch or wizard out in public dancing.

Nobody of the craft will beg or boast to recruit others, you will have to venture into the journey yourself, and nobody else can do it for you. There are serious underlinings going on in the craft world and there is no room for mere exposure from the general public. If you’re interested use Google to find accredited resources, be sure to know how to identify videogames from the true craft and always remember the three fold law.

Blessings be with you -

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
the reason why witches and wizards wouldnt go and show of their powers is blatently obvious.

i'll give you a hypothetical question,
if you were a scientist in a labratory at some secret base, and you suddenly find out that theres a man/woman who can make fire appear out of nowhere and fly, would you just stand by and watch or would you capture and study this fine specimen.

the answer is simple, out of fear they do not come out into the open, and anyone who tries to get the money from these big organisations are usually fake.

so your answer in a nutshell is yes, magic exists and no you cant have it

and ofcoarse these are just my personal oppinions, dissagree if you must but i wont be commenting here again.

P.S.
all your magics r mine xD

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Richard.M.J.Palmer
the reason why witches and wizards wouldnt go and show of their powers is blatently obvious.

i'll give you a hypothetical question,
if you were a scientist in a labratory at some secret base, and you suddenly find out that theres a man/woman who can make fire appear out of nowhere and fly, would you just stand by and watch or would you capture and study this fine specimen.

the answer is simple, out of fear they do not come out into the open, and anyone who tries to get the money from these big organisations are usually fake.

so your answer in a nutshell is yes, magic exists and no you cant have it

and ofcoarse these are just my personal oppinions, dissagree if you must but i wont be commenting here again.

P.S.
all your magics r mine xD

I can assure you that there will be many that agree and support what you have said.

I for one, am one of them.

Please don't stop commenting here because I, and many other would prefer to hear what you have to say rather than some other that I care not to mention.

Don't leave us!!

Please tell us about any personal experience you have with 'magic', what you think it is (definition) and what are its uses.

Many thanks in advance !

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
i suppose i could give you a simple answer.

to me magic is a tool, we use it day to day withought even knowing it.
there is no defination great enough for magic so i will not give it one.

to some people magic might be like psi powers, to others it may be a happy ending in a story book.
magic varies from person to person, so we cannot truelly say what magic is but in my honest oppinion magic is a power inside all of us, and inside anything that lives, it gives us strength when we shouldnt have it and it also brings us over whelming happiness.

magic is what the user wills it to be.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by omg aliens are so real

Life is magic. check out this guy, he is pretty cool. You can do some google searches for him. His name is Oberon Zell-Ravenheart. He talks about magic, creating stalves and magic wands, and also created unicorns through some type of breeding.

We use magic every day... movies and tales always portray it. Look at Jedi's and Sith's using the magic word "will". I mean why do we call curse words, curse words!

The fact is that we have to learn how powerful we really are and that we have the ability to bring forth thought patterns into physical reality by words. This is done through the practice of manifestation. The movie, "The Secret" was really focusing on this.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

There is an ignore button....... use it and don't waste space and time arguing.

Magic is just a perception. Like when your uncle pulls a coin out from behind your ear. As a kid you think this is soooo cool until the dick takes his coin back. Now you do it to younger kids. If I went back in time and showed a caveman fire he'd fill his loin cloth and think it was magic.....until I showed him how to do it.

Here's one though - if you were walking and suddenly transported miles above the earth to an alien vessel would you think it was magic? No because we'd reasonably deduce it was something technologically advanced.

There is only one true magician and that's David Copperfield. That flying thing to woo the supermodels, cutting himself in half was awesome but walking through the great wall of china was the clincher! let science explain that one.......

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join