It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

real life magic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I know it sounds a bit silly, but is there such thing as real life magic? becasue i've heard there are really witches and wizards.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Oh my, welcome back to ATS...

Thats not something one can openly say yes to. There are Witches and Wizards, yet they dont exactly have magic.

Magic is really a matter of perspective.

Say, if I brought out a glove that made things turn colors by touch and told you it was a magic glove, where it was just a mechanism desinged to do such. Without telling you that, would you believe it? OOOOR In a much STRONGER case...

I used a suit with the right conductivity to avoid damage to my body and isulated it properly, using electrical current acceleration and the lift from the right vents(electricity produces its own lift if given the right direction) and the proper heating I could fly. I could tell you *I* was magic because im sure you wouldnt understand it on first glance.

Its hard to percieve magic and natural im sorry.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by omg aliens are so real

There are people who call themselves witches and wizards. So far, not a single one has been able to demonstrate their abilities in a controlled environment. Which is weird, as a few organisations out there offer large amounts of money to people who can do just that.

But, as Arthur C. Clarke said, "any sufficiently-advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", so I guess it depends on the observer. If, however, the observer is science, then no, there is no such thing as magic. On the other hand, if the observer is ignorant of science (or a part of it), then they might describe something mundane as magical, simply because they don't understand it.

Aaaah the human condition. Flawed, yet trying our best.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
But aren't there meant to be people who have actually done amazing things, or were they just pshycics?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I think Magic is very real.

To know the laws of the universal truths and to use them to manifest and such would be considered magic.

The ability to use the 72 gemetria numbers and meanings is also a form of magic.

Also to use entities outside of our realm of sight is another form of magic. They may have abilities to act in ways that mere mortals cannot therefore magic, like Kabbalah using the tree of life and it's gates can also allow things to be done which one may not be able to do alone.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by omg aliens are so real

Nope. So far not one single person with magical abilities, including being psychic, has ever been documented to be able to perform anything either magical or psychic.

interestedalways can't back up what she says with actual evidence, even though if she could, and replicate the results, she'd win the $1m in a matter of days. Strangely suspicious, wouldn't you think?

Don't believe people who say they can do magical/psychic/weird stuff without any evidence, as it's a slap in the face to logic and reason.

This board is called paranormal studies, not paranormal claims we should all take at face-value, regardless of their complete lack of substantiated supporting evidence or veracity. Let's keep it scholarly so we can learn stuff.

[edit on 27/5/08 by dave420]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
[Don't believe people who say they can do magical/psychic/weird stuff without any evidence, as it's a slap in the face to logic and reason.

Some people are allowed to use other parts of thier brain besides that which fosters logic and reason. Therein lies the secret.

Who would waste magic knowledge on such a wet blanket???

Besides it isn't to be consumed by those who can only See that which lies in the realm of science.

Most magical systems require initiation and long time devotion. We aren't talking magic tricks here. True magic must be protected from those who would misuse it.

You are right, Mr. I don't smoke weed, but use 420 in my screen name so people will think I'm cool........... I cannot prove a thing. I don't have to as this is conversation and a scientific breakthrough!

[edit on 27-5-2008 by interestedalways]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I could show you "magic" but to me it wouldnt be that..

Its something people dont understand, the whole lable of magic is just to put unknowns of a type into a group. Produce fire from your hands and you make magic? Or a well placed trick that causes a small explosion from your hands. I could easily show you this one, and its not magic. But because the little kids down the street dont know that im "The Magical Bear Guy".

Its all a matter of perception on what you take as magic as opposed to unknowns.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

EVERYTHING resides in the "realm of science". If you can perceive it, if it can affect you, if it can affect anything, it's subject to the laws of science. I'm sorry if that little fact rains on your "I'm a magickal person" parade, but it's the truth.

If, though, what you say is true, provide evidence, and win Randi's $1m prize, and give it to charity. So now you have a choice - give $1m to charity, or be selfish. You clearly think you have the ability, so why don't you do it?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I didn't say I was initiated into a magical system or that I was able to perform magic.

I will say that magical things have happened in my life on more that several occasions.

I do believe it to be possible, though.

Sorry by the way for the derogatory remarks, that was not nice of me.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Removed my post for purely personal reasons.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Well, as rude as this might sound, your experiences don't prove a single thing. People, especially a single person, can be so easily fooled by their senses. I'm sure you experienced something, I'd just put a serious amount of money on it being perfectly mundane.

reply to post by Vanitas

In three words: Not at all. There has been no documented occurance of "magic". Which is weird, as the first person who can do so will stand to earn millions of dollars.

Science is not fooled by the five senses, only people. People, like interestedalways, might claim to have witnessed magical events, but there is simply no evidence to support the claims. Logically, that suggests that the people who believe in their experiences as being magical are the ones being fooled by their five senses, not the people being skeptical about such claims.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420

EVERYTHING resides in the "realm of science". If you can perceive it, if it can affect you, if it can affect anything, it's subject to the laws of science. I'm sorry if that little fact rains on your "I'm a magickal person" parade, but it's the truth.

If, though, what you say is true, provide evidence, and win Randi's $1m prize, and give it to charity. So now you have a choice - give $1m to charity, or be selfish. You clearly think you have the ability, so why don't you do it?

I really have to correct you on this one. The "Realm of Science" ONLY exists to explain things in a way that it can be conveyed to another human being. The same thing with Mathematics. It is only a way for humans (or other species) to explain coincidences they observe in nature around them.

On that note, Quantum physics actually explains that magic is possible. This has been largely ignored, quite obviously. As well, a skeptic can easily explain away anything he or she wants. This is like the person who swears up and down that ghosts don't exist. When they see a ghost for themselves, they will explain it away as a subliminal idea put there by trying to look for a ghost.

Magic is real. It happens, and it's not perfect. Just because it is not in anyway a science, it is disregarded to be only relevant to the observer or practitioner. As well, the tools that they use to study magical and psychic conditions are not made for such purposes. The best tool we have to date to study psychic phenomenon, for example, is the CT Scan. What they observe is what regions are active during the 'opening of the third eye', but they still cannot actually see what is happening, just what parts of the brain are activated. As well, during these events, they have been able to record vibratory patterns, and have come to conclusions that support the idea that psychics and magic are real.

I choose NOT to provide links to any of this, on the basis that I'm arguing against a skeptic, who has not provided me with any proof to back up his/her claims. You have to prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that ALL evidence from labs, tests, etc. concludes that magic is not real. Please provide me with this evidence, or I say your argument is just as NIL as mine!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

Christ. Saying quantum mechanics is magic just shows I'm right. It's science. It's not magic. Quantum interactions can be measured, and it can be observed.

Saying a CT scan of a person suggests psychic abilities and magic are true just belies your abject, complete lack of objectivity. This board is supposed to be for study, not guesswork and ass-delving.

Sheesh, this is a massive, massive joke. No wonder people who study this stuff get laughed at by real scientists, as the level for acceptable evidence is as low as it gets. "Oh, you heard that? Well! It must be true!". Terrible.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I didn't say I was initiated into a magical system or that I was able to perform magic.

I will say that magical things have happened in my life on more that several occasions.

I do believe it to be possible, though.

Sorry by the way for the derogatory remarks, that was not nice of me.

I agree with your points of view and it's certainly very refreshing to hear!

I personally have had several events happen in my life too which involve more than what we and science understands today. In fact, many, many people I talk to have had at least a few incredible events.

What kind of 'magical' events have you experienced so far?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'm not sure about Pagans, as I've known a few of them who claim to practice "magic". I've never honestly witnessed it myself, other than at a circus, which is obviously an illusion. I think the closest you'll get to seeing "magic", is watching how Shaolin monks manipulate energy for their own benefit. Fantastic stuff... They can smash through stacks of bricks and what-not with thier bare hands. If that's not "magic", then I don't know what is

I've experiened many paranormal events myself, so, I don't think it's too out-there to assume that it's possible for magic to be real. I don't think the Pagan religion would of lasted very long, had it not worked as people claim. There's still many things science hasn't yet explained.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Alesanjin]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If theres no such thing as magic then where did the idea of magic come from?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Removed my post for purely personal reasons.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Magical things like objects or "things" manifesting in my life with no known explaination when I really needed them.

I once observed another dimension that was full of "fairy folk" going about thier business in Golden Gate park in San Fransisco.

Situations coming forth to benefit me with no doing on my part.

Mostly it shows itself in the realm of synchronicity in many forms.

Telepathic communication particularly with my daughters on many occassions.

Off the top of my head that is a small telling of my understanding of magic.

I also believe in another type of magic as I mentioned earlier in this thread that is based on Mystery Schools which one would have to be initiated in to practice.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum
Quantum physics actually explains that magic is possible.

Nope... didn't say it was magic, nor did I say that CT PROVES that it exists. Twisting my words around just makes you look more ignorant.

People, read what I sad, then what Dave420 CLAIMS I said... did I really word it in a way to conjecture what he claims? I'm being serious here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join