It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is a product of evolution, software suggests

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Ugh.

I'm going to nominate that one for the annual IgNoble prize. There's so many to choose from, but this is just Bad Science. Somebody needs to have a course in ancient cultures (yeah, I know one of them's an anthropologist) and history.

Really really really bad science.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

If you believe in Evolution then even your belief in Evolution is just a product of Evolution. Which would mean your belief has nothing to do with reality. It is just some idea instilled in you by your past. A past that may have veered from reality long ago.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Wow man thats some great insight! Im an Agnostic and you are absolutely right. I just never looked that deep into that. your theory seems to be very plausible and it makes perfect sense to me.

Id like to know what the other Agnostics and Atheists think about this

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
The supernatural exists because of evolution according to a computer program?
Some people have been saying this for years.
(they're still wrong.)

People get PAID for this research?
I haven't been able to find a decent paying job, yet.

Well, Johnsky (if that is your real name.)
aren't people priveledged (or stupid) to have you as a shepherd for their ignorance and weak-willed character?
How philanthropic of you.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Clearskies]

WOW Offended much?

NOT A ONE LINER

and yes i did YELL that

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Not read any of the thread (sorry just about to sleep) but while I agree that religion is just a way of explaining things that people dont understand and that there is no absolute good or bad... I think trusting a computer program designed to give those outcomes is a bit silly.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

However, religion only takes hold if non-believers help believers out – perhaps because they are impressed by their devotion.

I can field this one, or at least one version of it.

I readily do what I can to keep those who are in a religion, and cannot bring themselves out of it, in it.
Why would an Atheist do this?
Because those who cannot formulate conclusions would perform rather poorly without someone instructing them as to how they should act, and what they should believe. It is therefore in their best interest, and in the interest of others, for Atheists to do what they can to keep the religious in religion.

Quite frankly, if person X needs a book to tell him how to act in society, I'm not going to take that book away, I wouldn't be able to trust person X if he wasn't being told how to act.

Atheists and agnostics however, have formulated their own morals based on what is best for everyone. (If they don't, they don't last very long.)
Anyone who is able to do what is right, without any form of input, simply because they know it's best for everyone, I can trust to the end.

Anyone who doesn't formulate those morals. I do what I can to ensure they end up in a religion. At least there, there will be some form of control over them.

This system of freedom based on ability to self regulate works so well, that I'd be willing to bet Atheists and Agnostics created religion so we have somewhere to shove the people who can't self regulate.

I think this is garbage. Sorry but religious books especially The Bible and The Quran have examples of and calls to violence in them. I think people dogmatically believing and following these books without question can lead to terrible things such as war, starvation (DONT eat pork), misery (NO sex before marriage) etc. People over the world dogmatically believing their religious texts alone are true just results in a fractured world and discord.

I agree that in the past religions have been tailored to suit the rulers to help them control the population. For example the removal of reincarnation in christianity and the introduction of the fear of eternal damnation in hell in the early years of christianity. I am sorry for any christians reading this but christianity is probably the most corrupted and skewed of all the major religions. The old testament god isn't even the same god as the new one. Jesus' god is the universal consciousness which all and everything you can see and experience is a part of. The god of the old testament as a bloody Annunaki renegade who liked competing with the other extraterrestrials around at the time. I hate to make your world crumble but it is a fact. Do some research. A christian follows the teachings of CHRIST. Christ would never kill a soul and any christian who murders in the name of their misunderstood and invisible 'god' is a deluded, immoral fool.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by Space_Ed]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Space_Ed

Space Ed, just to point out something here. Those devout might say those books teach one to EAT HEALTHY (no pork), live disease free and with out heart ache (no sex before marriage) and other such things.

It's all in how one wishes to look at it. Not my view, mind you. Just saying it does have a logic.

I follow the Emily Dickinson model... to understand the necture requires surest need.

Pain multiplies Joy. If all you ever new was good this, then these things by definition would only be average. The greater the tragedies one overcomes, the sweeter each glory is. Getting my heart broken, many times, makes the loves I have had even greater. (Not a sadist or any of those ''whip me" people, not talking self induced here... though I can see where they come from until they start enjoying the pain itself.)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Guided

Funny. First off, I believe there is some higher power, and will freely call that power God. Also, I have been that man in the field cursing him for the entire night. There have been plenty of times me and God didn't get along (and here comes the believer telling me it was simply me not getting along with Him, He never had a problem with me). Personel reasons, mind you.

Didn't get struck by lightening, didn't die by the Finger Of God... wasn't even Flipped A Finger by God. Now, this could mean a few things. He doesn't exist. He doesn't have time for petty me. He didn't mean my cursing worth a response as He is the better man in an argument. Could be any of those. Or perhaps He's waiting to judge those actions after my time here is done. Who knows? If He exists, only Him.

And if I am wrong and there are many gods, then I'm probably as screwed as most people. And if I'm wrong and there are no gods, then it really didn't matter anyways.

Screaming at God and cursing him, on this Earth, will do about as much good as turning off the bathroom light and saying "Bloody Mary" three times in the mirror... or Pumpkin Head if you like.

It's not fearing retribution that keeps one from such (because saying such things under your breath would be the same, He hears all... right?) It's a slight pang of guilt felt by those who PROFESS to not believe at all... when really they are simply SKEPTICAL and have not truly shut the door on God just yet (or gods, for that matter). Or maybe the door is closed, but it surely isn't locked.

Now, I'm not saying I'm right that there is a Higher Being. I just choose to believe there is. It's logical to me, makes sense. I'm not saying those who feel there isn't one are wrong. We won't know until we get there.

We can HAVE FAITH, we can BELIEVE all we want. I'm still wondering why the Tooth Fairy has abandoned me, at one time I believed so much. I had Faith that when my tooth went under the pillow, money would come. Now, at 29, when a tooth comes out it costs so much more than that dang Fairy ever put under my pillow.

Yet still I believe in this Higher Being. And still I have argued, cussed, and blamed this Higher Being (not every time, I do take responsibilities for MY actions, it's those pesky things one can not control). And no, so far He hasn't smote me down.

All that test will tell you is if you don't believe, or if you are just skeptical. Though for some, that may be telling in itself. Almost as telling as if He reached down from the Heaven and tapped them on their shoulder. Realizing you believe differently than you though can be a scary thing.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Space_Ed

I think this is garbage. Sorry but religious books especially The Bible and The Quran have examples of and calls to violence in them. I think people dogmatically believing and following these books without question can lead to terrible things such as war, starvation (DONT eat pork), misery (NO sex before marriage) etc. People over the world dogmatically believing their religious texts alone are true just results in a fractured world and discord.

Well, it wouldn't do us much good if we couldn't send them off to war to distract them from ourselves... would it?

I never said ALL Atheists and Agnostics get along. Some people are nationalistic by nature, that includes Atheists and Agnostics. With that being said, it's easy to understand why calls to arms are written into the religious texts.

It makes for one heck of a rallying point behind a war you might personally want to happen.

Me, I despise war. But I can't speak for the Atheists and Agnostics in the past.

I said the rules in the religious texts are there to keep people in line with the basic morals we naturally see... basically to be applied on the local level to keep the local populace under control. When you start looking at Nations vs Nations, you're bound to have different results... and we do. Just look at the current wars, the difference between sides is marked by the religious differences of the peoples.

I fear we may have lost control of our creation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join