It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is a product of evolution, software suggests

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Because I am so brainwashed?

From my believing in Christianity, as liberal of a form as I do as others can tell you from reading my other posts, you say that the only reason I have had an experience such as the one I did is because I am brainwashed. Is being learned in history being brainwashed? If so, count me in that group. Furthermore my experience happened when I was 7, in a time where I hardly knew ANYTHING about religion.

If I would have had the same experience only seen Krishna instead I would probably be Hindu at the moment. It had nothing to do with any kind of brainwashing before that point in time.

Please avoid personal attacks on people because they have differing opinions than your own.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

Well, no great suprises here, huh? Ironic that it took a computer to finally prove what most of us have known only too well for many years. Of course, I'm sure we'll get the usual faces decrying the findings - as they always do when faced with hard evidence that contradicts their precious belief systems..

J.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Very succinctly put. I couldn't agree with you more. Organised religion is simply a moral rulebook for those who have difficulty understanding the basic precepts of social order and harmony. Like you though, I find the ones who actually have the audacity to moralize at non-belivers incredibly stupid and foolish.

But hey, that tells you something about them right there...

J.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by jimbo999]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
Can you please point to gravity? I don't think so. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. What do you think separates us from other animals and plants? The ability to walk upright? No, the existance of a soul. That is where our individuality and personalities come from.

Nope. The only thing that seperates us are our brains and our over-developed egos. We ARE animals after all - remember?? Man's arrogance has always been fueled by religious misconceptions - such as the 'soul'... It's a fantasy - either that, or all animals have them. Take your choice.

J.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

What is that??

Looks like something drawn by a 5th grader in art class...

Is this somehow supposed to explain something?
Do you have any nice Etch-A-Sketch renditions? They might be just as appropriate...

This looks like typical New Age mumbo-jumbo to me...

J.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333

Can you please point to gravity? I don't think so. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. What do you think separates us from other animals and plants? The ability to walk upright? No, the existance of a soul. That is where our individuality and personalities come from.

I can see the effects of gravity, just as I can sense and feel the effects of being "conscious", which is what separates us from animals. "Soul" is an abstract construction of man designed to lessen fears regarding the unknown and post-death non-existence.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by keeb333]

Absolutely.

There is no doubt about it either.

Gravity can be proven to exist. The 'soul' however??? errmmm...nothing yet in thousands of years of trying by various religious groups. It's pure fiction, nothing more.

J.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guided

Could you please point to the "soul" on a diagram of the human body? I can't seem to find this particular item anywhere...

Ok, that's good from a "scientific"point of view. There are some things in life that science will never, ever be able to prove or do. I could list quite a few but, I am sure you know what they are. Your soul being one of them. My "soul" belongs to GOD and nothing in this world could ever change that.

Let me get this straight...

Your basically saying: your imaginary, unverifiable 'something' that you believe you 'have', belongs to an equally imaginary, unverifiable deity that is floating around somewhere...errmm...in an imaginary place out there.

Is that right?

Hmmm.

J.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by firegoggles

????

Huh? Sorry, but everything you just said was...bizzarre! There is no science at all in those statements - no matter how you would like to believe otherwise. There is a lot of extremely poor psuedo-science floating around on the Net that is propagated and invented by the religious right. This is just more of it, as far as I can make out.

J.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Atheist and believers need each other in order to thrive and survive!!

Now that you guys understand that you got to treat each other more nicely.

On topic, I just want to know who funds such a "research" and for what purpose, there has been far more serious research done to disprove religion than writing a program that I think my 13 year old cousin would be able to write.

Common "scientist" you guys can do better than this.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

Your basically saying: your imaginary, unverifiable 'something' that you believe you 'have', belongs to an equally imaginary, unverifiable deity that is floating around somewhere...errmm...in an imaginary place out there.

Is that right?

Hmmm.

J.

No, that is not right. Obviously, you do not believe in GOD. If I am correct. Then take a test. A very wise person once told me this. Go out to an large open field in the dark. Say every possible word if you can think of against GOD. You have absolutely nothing to worry about because you are talking to someone imaginary. Personally, I hope you don't do this, because I believe there is a very "small" part of you that may think it could be real.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guided

Is that right?

Hmmm.

J.

No, that is not right. Obviously, you do not believe in GOD. If I am correct. Then take a test. A very wise person once told me this. Go out to an large open field in the dark. Say every possible word if you can think of against GOD. You have absolutely nothing to worry about because you are talking to someone imaginary. Personally, I hope you don't do this, because I believe there is a very "small" part of you that may think it could be real.

No, I don't believe in 'god' at all

The test?? I have better things to do really. I'd probably get carted off to an insane asylum if I was caught standing around in a field at night, cursing god at the top of my lungs! heh!

Besides, it's a lot like the 'monster under the bed' fears many of us had as kids... It's only scary if you actually believe there's a monster under there.

Of course, we all grow up and realise there was no monster

I'm afraid your 'wise person' may have been having a bit of fun with you there....

J.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

No, I don't believe in 'god' at all

Hi jimbo990. The "wise person" wasn't having fun. In all times that he has stated that. Nobody really would do that. Personally, I do not know you but, I am relieved that you (for whatever reason) are not going to do that. Take care.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

reply to post by firegoggles

????

Huh? Sorry, but everything you just said was...bizzarre! There is no science at all in those statements - no matter how you would like to believe otherwise. There is a lot of extremely poor psuedo-science floating around on the Net that is propagated and invented by the religious right. This is just more of it, as far as I can make out.

J.

Ya it sounds a little wild at first glance I'll admit. As far as psuedo-science why dont you watch these two videos that I alredy posted in another thread. These vids explain EXACTLY what I'm saying much better than I can.Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater as they say please watch them it is one of the more valuable bits of video information amongst piles of rubbish out there. Let me know what you think...
Thanks,
FG
Here is the thread go about half way down and see my second post on that page for the vids
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 27-5-2008 by firegoggles]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
DNA makes religion, eh?

Let's try this. Take a 20th Generation Christian child at birth, bestow said child to an Atheistic family to raise. By age 18 let's see what Religious Preference he has.

Let's take a 10th Generation Catholic child at birth, bestow that child to a Wiccan family. Again, at 18, let's see the Preference.

How about a multi-generational Atheist child at birth? Lets bestow him to Mormons. Guess what he'll more than likely believe at 18?

DNA has nada to do with Religion. It's completely a Nurture/Experiment deal. You are nutured to believe on thing by family (in MOST families, few Atheist familys speak of religions to the child as few Mormons discuss Wicca with their child) and when EXPOSED to other ideals you reject or experiment with the new found exposure.

Now, whether you simply reject or experiment may have something with the DNA, but not being Religious itself.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

What do you mean "there is no monster under the bed"

How can you say such things! Think of all the children that will be lost now because the bed monster gets them. A bed monster they will now refuse to believe in due to your misinformation! The children are doomed by your ignorance and will be consumed at a rate our reproduction standards can not meet!

JIMBO, NOOOOO!!! You've doomed all of mankind!!

CHILDREN, DON'T LOOK UNDER THE BED WITH THE LIGHTS OFF!! BEWARE!

Don't laugh, Jimbo! I read it in a book printed hundreds of years ago that was first wrote 1,000 years ago! That makes it absolutely positively true, right?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
reply to post by St Udio

just for the sake of clarity, the community must find religious belief to be sexually attractive. the program looked purely at reproduction and secession of genes.

I speculate that religious belief causes hormonal changes (thus why religious people and even optimists live longer) that make them more attractive, simple as that.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

This pretty much verifies what I already suspected. Go ahead and believe in whatever fairy-tales or superstitions make you feel better about yourselves, because in the end it doesn't matter a hill of beans!

Now if people would kindly quit trying to force their version of "morality" down each others throats, and accept that there is no such thing as "absolute good" or "absolute evil", this species may still have a chance!

Peace!

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Somebody else like me....whew I was begining to think this site was becoming more like a scene from the Omega Man every day.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   

reply to post by keeb333

Oh my good grief!!! So because a computer program suggests something it has to be proof. Whateva !!! Believe what you want, but you are really reaching with this story.

I really needed that laugh.

Oh for God's sake
the "computer program" is a model. Models are used all the time to try and determine why things happen. Your weather forecast is a model! The computer you are using to read this has a CPU that was designed using a model to extrapolate performance.

Models are used everywhere. In this case the model has predicted how religion would spread. Now if you don't like the idea that your relgious beliefs can be modelled because you are behaving in a predetermined manner, then sorry but tough. The computer model is not saying you can't carry on believing if it helps you get through life. But to people like me it is very interesting.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   

reply to post by keeb333

Oh my good grief!!! So because a computer program suggests something it has to be proof. Whateva !!! Believe what you want, but you are really reaching with this story.

I really needed that laugh.

I second that. Looks like an act of desperation to me. Good God!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

I don´t agree.

Religion is a rational construction based in the human characteristic of necessity to find answers to explain the unknown using the brains short-circuit epilepsy like state that we call faith or state of praying.

This is what religion is, is based on and is supported by.

[edit on 28/5/08 by derfred33]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join