It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fun Facts About Wal Mart...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I love playing WAL_MART Bingo

www.i-am-bored.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I was watching channel 172 like amonth ago..thiers a program on late night, i cannot recall its name. But what it is, is students and/or regular people who go to other countrys and see how jobs really work. Thier all british i belive. In one episode, they went to India..and were tested on wool gathering. Hundreds of lbs of wool is piled up, has to be put into sacks, then hand or shoulder carried across a lot to a machine that refines it up more. They wernt as fas or skilled as the regualr wokers. SO, they report on othe camera, how small the wages were, jsut enough to put food on the table everynight and barely makeing rent. its REALLY backbreaking work from what i saw. In one episode, the toilet backed up, and they had a choice to make, pay for a plumber, which the renter can do and add it to thier rent, or pay rent* they made enought to just pay rent.
In another scene, they went into the slums of india. Thiers a place, were all top model cloths, jeans, and shoes are made, like Gucci and the like. What they discovered was, thiers an open sewer channel that goes right through the crowded alley ways, VERY unsanitary. They make little wages, thier not forced to work, at leat while the camera was running...the managers in both places were nice, sincere, seemed honest, but it was in fact, near slave labor conditions. Temperatures inside the coth place, were near horendous..so who knows. i was shocked when i learned this.
I mean, for all i know, off camera, the manager guy could have been whipping the thrid world country employees, for not making enough clohs aas a quoata, maybe not.
the reality of humans in power, and ours/

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by toymonk

My Sanyo analog TV bit the dust before it was even three years old. I managed to keep it running for seven more years with a webtv box until that also went belly up. So I haven't had a TV for almost a year now... mostly because I am reluctant to invest in another POS that's been designed to crap out on command by some satellite signal delivered by TPTB... and because I've had to replace other things that have also suddenly managed to go belly up in the past couple of years.

This is going to date me... but I'm STILL using an old Sunbeam toaster (on a daily basis) that my parents got for a wedding present way back in 1951. That's when products and people weren't designed to drop dead on cue.

[edit on 18/4/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Yeah I saw that expose as well - it's on linktv...

Well here's a similar series they have on this topic:

www.linktv.org...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Hey great links -- commondreams is an excellent site -- my brother-in-law is from El Salvador and worked those sugar cane fields as a kid!!

He joined the military when he was 14 -- so I don't know if he worked sugar when he was 8 years old but possibly. He said it was really hard work....

As for the cocoa child slave labor -- there's supposed action by the buyers now to make sure that there's no child slave labor. Although there's a lawsuit also so hopefully this issue will be better resolved.

I got my university to join the Workers Rights Consortium -- with the help of my fellow students. I organized the campaign though and I had to debate the administration, the student senate (brainwashed ass kissing student "leaders") -- it took 9 meetings with the lawyer who runs the University and he threatened the professors' tenure for being on the committee.

So yeah these issues are very troubling and totally under the table.... I even dropped out of graduate school because I was so pissed off at the blatant corruption of the University administration with their Nike contract, etc.

That was 10 years ago but the Workers Rights Consortium lives on!

www.workersrights.org...

So there's been some boycotts organized by the students so that Universities have to stop buying from companies using bad labor conditions.... and these boycotts are going to the Supreme Court because it might violate the Commerce Clause or something....

Ah democracy -- NOT!

[edit on 18-4-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I saw that movie a while back. Before, I didn't shop at Wal-Mart just becuase. After I saw that documentary, I vowed that I would never step foot in a Wal-Mart ever again.

On a side note, my brother's girlfriend's mom just got fired from the local Wal-Mart becasue she got like 2 minutes of overtime. They tried to get her to do work off the clock and she didn't clock out for those 2 minutes, so they fired her.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
After all i read about Wal-Mart, i'm glad they never caught on in germany. They invaded our country in the late 90's, took over some of our own supermarket-chains and invested nearly a billion dollars.
Despite huge marketing campains and cheap prices nobody ever bought there and in the end they lost over 3 billion euro. Now they have closed and sold all their stores and left.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

A lot of American people would not make it working in a land that is foreign to the U.S. They would complain the conditions are harsh and the work is too hard. I happen to work in America for a German owned company. Needless to say I get a chance to speak the people from Germany and to those who are willing to travel with my company to Germany (I chose to remain with my family over spending a month away from them). Sure many in Germany get some nice work breaks from time to time but they also seem to work really long hard hours with few breaks throughout their shift.

As far as other jobs across the world I only know what I have seen through research. I can say without doubt that most Americans have it easy when it comes to work. I would only say that crab fishermen have it worse than many places (but they get paid very well for their work). I have seen those who walk miles carrying large amounts of weight for pennies a day.

Does all of that make it right? No I don’t think so. I am not condoning harsh treatment of employees at all. But certainly most of those I know and those who post on here act like spoiled children who have to have everything their way. When it comes to many jobs that are done around the world I can say I would act about the same. I don’t really want to break my back for 16 plus hours for a few pennies.

It is funny though how so many on here bash Wal Mart but they willingly accept things and support other places that do nothing different. It is also funny the number of posters who talk trash about the products from China at Wal Mart but also have a number of electronics and other household items from the same place. With 40% of our products from China I would say that almost every poster complaining about Chinese products willingly buys things because they chose to have their “toys”.

Raist

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

It's structural -- supply side economics. Chinese are pissed at Americans bribing officials for "joint" operations that create a wealthy class in China while the workers are killed off. Yet do the workers have a choice? No -- if you want a job you have to work in a U.S. sweatshop in China.... and the same here -- you want to be tied into US. culture -- watch your Fox news, go to McDonalds or any franchise? Yep -- sweatshop labor built it. All the products that make the U.S. are based on "primitive accumulation."

Check out www.amazon.com...

Insatiable Appetite.

It's well proven that the genocide of over 2 million Southeast Asians was so the U.S. would have cheap yet rare raw materials for industry.

Same for Latin America, Africa, etc. Gotta keep the empire rolling!

And U.S. agribusiness? How would farmers have an export market if not for WWI and WWII -- those wars destroying the food supply of Europe enabled the U.S. farmers to sell their grain -- corn, wheat, etc.

Supply side economics. Build it or Destroy it and "they" will come.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join