It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Venezuela another Haiti???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
What is going on in the world with these questionable elections and uprisings against the government? Is this a new trend, or are people finally getting the balls needed to stand up to corrupt governments? The Venezuelan incident and Chavez is beginning to sound alot like Haiti and Aristide.

CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) - Venezuelan anti-government protesters blocked streets in Caracas with burning debris on Monday as opposition leaders said they would keep up protests to demand a recall referendum against President Hugo Chavez.
The demonstrators cut off a major highway and several avenues in east Caracas as the country braced for more trouble after three days of clashes with troops and confused gunfights that killed at least two people and injured several dozen.
"This will go on as long as God wills it. Venezuela is fighting its own war now. We don't want a referendum now, we want (Chavez) to resign," said Juan Carlos Pirela, a protester who faced National Guard troops guarding a highway in Altamira, an opposition stronghold.
www.stevequayle.com...

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Troops and opposition supporters clashed in the Venezuelan capital Monday, as election authorities postponed a decision on whether to accept the 3.4 million signatures demanding a recall vote on President Hugo Chavez.
customwire.ap.org...

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I say we uprise and get Bush out of office if he somehow gets elected again

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The US-sponsored insurrections against Chavez and Aristide are happening because the leaders were not corrupt enough. International business and finance love corrupt politicians.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EliteXizer

i'm with you.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
All of South America is ripe for revolution.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I agree, South America and Central America is ready to explode

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It makes you wonder, which countries will the USA get involved in and for what reasons. And I do agree that most of South America has many volatile issues going in the various countries.

btw, did you know that there is a South American country which borders Venezuela that actually WANTS to become a USA state or territory?
read this:
www.guyanausa.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Interesting that they are one of the largest oil producers no? If we can keep them on the dollar, we'll be doing pretty well....

I sense a political shell game going on here....

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
And we have an immense amount of Venezuelan illegal immigrants trying to enter my island (by boat) numerous times a week.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by EliteXizer

Ill be your point man!

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
No wonder Chavez is threatening to cut oil supply and start a 100 year war with us. Fascinating article.

news.independent.co.uk...
Washington has been channelling hundreds of thousands of dollars to fund the political opponents of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez - including those who briefly overthrew the democratically elected leader in a coup two years ago.

Documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act reveal that, in 2002, America paid more than a million dollars to those political groups in what it claims is an ongoing effort to build democracy and "strengthen political parties". Mr Chavez has seized on the information, telling Washington to "get its hands off Venezuela".

The revelation about America's funding of Mr Chavez's opponents comes as the president is facing a possible recall referendum and has been rocked by a series of violent street demonstrations in which at least eight people have died. His opponents, who include politicians, some labour leaders, media executives and former managers at the state oil company, are trying to collect sufficient signatures to force a national vote. The documents reveal that one of the group's organising the collection of signatures - Sumate - received $53,400 (30,000) from the US last September.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
the major media won't touch this with a ten foot pole because they'd finally have to tell the truth about the war in Iraq. tis sad. we get the dean scream-and-Kerry's mic mishap over and over...but real news is a no, no.

Gotta love Chavez in a way...he's keeps fighting even though his demise is written in stone. The moment he took up with Saddam and started advocating Opec switch to euros was the moment he killed his presidency. Even if Dubya's gone in January he's gotta go. Oil is too important to play around with--there is no way Opec is going to be allowed to switch to the euro and anyone publically calling for it will have to be taken out.

new topics

top topics

join