It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Barrier lake' in China threatens up to 1.2 million in earthquake zone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

'Barrier lake' in China threatens up to 1.2 million in earthquake zone

www.latimes.com

The government warns that evacuations may be necessary because of the risk of flooding from a swelling lake formed upstream from Beichuan. Debris and landslides formed about 35 such lakes after the quake.

MIANYANG, CHINA -- The Chinese government warned Monday that as many 1.2 million residents might have to be evacuated because they could be inundated by a swelling "barrier lake" formed by the May 12 earthquake.

The notice was issued hours after a Russian helicopter transported heavy machines over mountains in the northern part of Sichuan province and hundreds of Chinese soldiers carried in 10 tons of dynamite to contend with the barrier lake at Tangjiashan, about two miles upstream from the town of Beichuan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
My god. Just as you are starting to think the toll on life over there is over, you find that it could not be over yet. Imagine if a further quake were to release these "reservoiurs" all at once. The one pictured is massive. It would be devastating. If they are unable to relieve the rising water from these landslide dams, eventually the water pressure will take them out itself.

This is a very scary situation (and there are to be 35 of these "dams"). I hope they are able to overcome these problems without further loss of lives....

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I have a really bad feeling about the dams holding. The continued quake activity and rising waters are making for a very dangerous situation. I cannot believe their attention is not fully devoted to this tragedy (ie, the olympics).

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It's really a tough situation for them. In order to bleed the water they have to construct runoff channels so that the flowing water does not erode the barrier itself. Not an easy task, and there are over 35 of these artificial dams to deal with. I'm still trying to imagine what 4.5 billion cubic feet of water (behind the largest of them) would look like.

I remember a massive landslide blocking a river near where I grew up, (it was the costliest landlside in US history and placed an entire town under a lake) and what a massive undertaking it was to remedy.

Considering that they have over 40 of these to worry about, they are in for some serious problems, and this story does not even take into account the existing dams which were damaged. It's just staggering what an earthquake can do to a country.

new topics

top topics

join