It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Security Breach: Foreign Affairs Minister Resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Canadian Security Breach: Foreign Affairs Minister Resigns

www.ctv.ca

Maxime Bernier has resigned as foreign affairs minister, after he acknowledged leaving sensitive government documents out in the open -- apparently at his former girlfriend's home.

Sources told CTV News the documents included classified information for last April's NATO summit in Romania. One sensitive document contained details about NATO's military strategy in Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The resignation came just two hours before the former girlfriend, Julie Couillard, went on network television to speak about the documents. She has previously been involved with members of the Hell's Angels motorcycle gang.

www.canada.com...

This has the potential to be huge. The documents contained Canada's Afghanistan strategies and apparently confidential profiles of all NATO leaders.

On the news, they made the statement that the documents had no value to organized crime. But, come on, we've all watched gangster movies. How much do you think the Taliban would pay for those profiles and strategies?

Also, Couillard is also connected with a company that placed some bids in for airport security. A partner in that company also has ties to the biker gang. Just imagine, the Hell's Angels in control of airport security. Luckily, the company did not win the bids.

Earlier Monday, Liberal MP Michael Ignatieff had said the government should examine the role of Couillard in a company that bid on airport security.

The new question came in light of a report in Montreal's Le Devoir newspaper on Monday that Julie Couillard, who had been involved until recently with Bernier, had been involved in a high-tech firm that had bid on airport security contracts. Her partner in that venture had biker connections.

www.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-5-2008 by TheComte]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
It was only a matter of time before he resigned. His leaving is a big blow to Harper in Quebec. Bernier was his senior elected member from Quebec and third in the Party hierarchy.

It will be interesting to see how Harper handles this. The documents were in her possession for five weeks. The sad thing is, with all the recent bad press directed at the Alliance, I mean Tories, Dion can't make any headway with Canadians.

If we went to the polls tomorrow, even with all this ammo for the Liberals, Harper would still come out of it with a Minority at the very least.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I would be willing to take my chances with Layton, if the government were to be brought down by this. At this point, anything would be better than the Conservatives. But, you're right. I sense the Opposition is afraid to vote non-confidence as it might result in a Harper majority.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
I sense the Opposition is afraid to vote non-confidence as it might result in a Harper majority.

I have been saying this since the 2007 budget. Dion is a coward and doesn't have any real support inside the party. I'm am 100% positive that he is happy to trudge along with Harper's de facto Majority.

Bernier's resignation will hurt Harper but until Dion gets some real support in Quebec, he will not bring down the Tories. I would wager that Liberal Party officials would love to see an election. These have been two very bad years for the Liberal "brand".( I don't like how our political parties have become "brands", just seems so corporate to me)

Who knows, maybe this WILL be the spark. I doubt it but ya never know.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This story isn't going away quietly. Now, Miss Couillard is alleged to have dated a member of the Montreal Mafia, Tony Volpato, years before her biker connections.

Volpato was convicted in 1997 of trying to import 180 kilos of coc aine into Canada and was sentenced to six years behind bars, of which he served just one. He died in 2004.

Amazingly, when asked about the affair, PM Harper "maintains that there is no security issue and says he doesn't ask for or receive security information about private citizens." Sorry, but I find that hard to believe on many levels. This, and the fact that Bernier refuses to testify in front of a Commons committee, makes me think there is a cover-up underway. Stay tuned...

www.dose.ca...

Liberal MP Denis Coderre says it stretches credibility that neither the RCMP nor the Canadian Security Intelligence Service ever warned Harper about the potential security implications of having Canada's top diplomat dating a person with Couillard's past associations.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Glad you're staying on top of this story comte.

Harper didn't want the all party committee to look at this. The other members pushed it through by having the majority on the committee in question. He felt an internal review, as per Berniers request in his resignation letter would suffice. I also heard today that Harper may refuse to testify if called.

I don't know how they can say that there wasn't a National Security concern when some of the document's in question were related to the NATO summit. Our main focus was trying to get more troops committed from the other countries involved in Afghanistan. That sounds like matters of NS to me.

I guess we will have to wait and see what comes of the Public Safety committee finds.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
To me this smells.

I stand aghast as Harper downplays the way his goverment handles important classified documents.

These documents are handled in a way that they should never go "missing". Their is a SOP in place. Did the present goverment ignore this?

We are developing humint as we speak. How will Harper handle this?

One thing for certain Miss Couillard is skilled at her "job"? How many persons are you aware of whom have "dated" high leval Angels as well as Mafia. How does a cabinet member fit into her circle of friends?

Maybe Mom is right!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Sorry..my bad?!!]

[edit on 3-6-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
That documentation could of got alot of troops on the ground killed or injured. Who the hell takes stuff like that and just leaves it laying around a girl friends house ?

Dammit man, they must have an office safe in there some where. has the man never heard of ahoney pot trap ?!?

Glad hes getting the book thrown at him for it.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The fallout continues.

www.cbc.ca...

Federal Public Works Minister Michael Fortier has had to dismiss a senior member of staff because the man had a romantic relationship with Julie Couillard last year when a company she represented was bidding on a big government contract, according to a report.

Côté failed to inform him that he was dating Couillard, the Star quoted Fortier as saying, at the same time as Montreal property developer Groupe Kevlar Inc. was bidding for a multimillion-dollar contract with the Public Works Department.

Hmmm, Couillard representing another company making public bid for contracts. I'm not sure if it's the same company that bid on the airport security. If it isn't, then it's beginning to look like Miss Couillard was in the business of dating men from whom she wanted something. Was she hired to date Mr. Bernier?

In the meantime, the committee hearing heard that the RCMP had knowledge of Couillard's associations before they became public. However, they do not say when they first learned of it, or exactly what they knew.

Testifying before the committee on Tuesday, the RCMP assistant commissioner for federal and international operations, Raf Souccar, refused to comment on when Couillard came to be known to the police force, or what the Mounties knew about her.

But when asked by Liberal public safety critic Ujjal Dosanjh whether Couillard was known to the RCMP before the matter broke in the news, Souccar replied, "Yes, she was."

With PM Harper and Bernier refusing to testify at the hearing, it really smells like a cover-up here.

top topics

join