It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless UK Youths To Be Put Into Camps

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
MY Mother Country sold her self OUT!
What does Anyone Expect!!
What now, educate peoples from Other Lands to do what?? kill their OWN?
Sorry mom but you bring it on ya Self BUT CAN"T HANDLE IT !!!
My problem is this sheep dip land you cast my MOB on too!! Because off Bread!
is beginning to go down ya BS path WAR is the ONLY OUT COME,CIVIL that is.
How could ANYONE live in their land when you have people burning you cars because someone doesn't have one!
Our own Dumb ass gov is going the same way.What ever happened to HISTORY A?gov can quote it as reference But never understand it.
War is ON down under.No Reprieve No Surrender!
God Bless Our Queen cause I WILL NOT!! BITCH.
Regards
Zelong.

EDIT; I notice every post talks of People,which People ,Whos People? we call a Spade a Spade down here.Which People are causing this A?
Kids? all kids BS whos People are causing this?
This new crowd thats WHO.the poor things!NO WORK GO BACK YOU DIDN'T MAKE IT!

[edit on 28/5/08 by Zelong]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

He didn't get screwed - he had a job. He didn't like working. He didn't have the hours he wanted so quit? He could quite have easily got a part-time bar job no problem. Or any other for that matter. He'd have had variety.

Another thing RedGolem, you started this post. Nowhere in that article was there any quote by any person saying these were any sort of boot camps. Only the writer of the article. Now there is a post that is disinforming users of this site.

Let me explain.
People have came on this thread and read your OP.

Originally posted by RedGolem

Jobless UK Youths To Be Put Into Camps

www.blacklistednews.com

A future Conservative government will bring in "boot camps" for unemployed young people aged between 18 and 21 who refuse to take a job, Chris Grayling, the party's welfare spokesman, will say tomorrow.
In a significant hardening of Conservative policy towards welfare claimants, he will announce the abolition of benefit payments for any able-bodied person under 21 who is out of work for more than three months and who refuses to go on a compulsory community service programme or a "boot camp"
(visit the link for the full news article)

You only used the .lines which are so misleading and the first paragraph which is also misleading. Chris Grayling is hardly going to announce they are introducing "boot camps" (surely even the inverted commas are a hint).

users of this site will read or skim over the first page and have an opinion without actually reading the article in full. Ok it's not your fault but being the OP you have a duty to read and understand the article in full instead of taking the parts that fit. to what you're saying and present it to other users.
The term boot camp is being used only to make it sound hard-hitting. It doesn't imply at any point that people will be rounded up and put into detention centres without consent. On the contrary if they don't attend they get no benefits. Not exactly a great idea in my eyes but politicians aren't good at coming up with good ideas. It will be run by private firms and volunteer groups and Oz firm Work Directions have successfully bid. They have taken part in some very similar schemes in Oz with success.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

No point in arguing semantics, they're a net drain on the treasury. If someone takes £100 out of the treasury coffers and pays in £17.50 they're not a taxpayer in anything but name.

Your point on where the money originates being irrelevant is also wrong. People went out and worked hard to earn that money, a proportion of which is then given out as welfare. The 'tax' being paid when things are bought with benefit money can be traced back directly to real taxpayers. If I give a friend £50 to go and buy a dvd player, I paid for that dvd player no matter which of us handed over the cash.

Pensioners have (on the whole) been paying tax their whole lives and are still taxpayers.

I do agree with you that the money is less important than giving someone a good quality of life but only if they are unable to support themselves. If someone is able to work but is just not willing then they do not deserve financial aid.

The rest of your post seems to descend into some kind of rant about government spending which, as you don't know my feelings about any of the items you listed, i'm going to ignore.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

The scrounging youth are just one of many problems in our country. trident, ID cards, pensioners etc are irrellevant. 18-21 year olds that refuse to work or bend/break the rules are. it's not just about the money. It's about discipline and putting something into your country. If the youth are like that now, what'll it be like in 10 years? Or 20? The baby-boomers will be gone. Hard working generations too old to work. Our economy would suffer so what will the answer be? More Immigrants. Some youths will be parents, some single. What example is that setting for their kids?

If we don't nip it in the bud now then we're gonna have a lot more problems than we have now. More immigrants to do the jobs that our youths don't do now means more strain on public services. More benefits for any children that come into the country too. Then more benefits for the now older youths who dont want to work. people should be made to work in the community for benefits. Street cleaners for all this rubbish on our streets. Painters for delapidated areas. You know what I'm getting at. It's all common sense. Graffiti artists should be made to clear up their mess. Vandals too, people who assault or the likes pay compensation out of any earnings, drunk youths made to dress up in chain gang type clothes to clear up all the broken glass from an area and able-bodied people should be made to work for benefits.

So if we start to have a more practical approach to having criminals put their bit back in then we'd need people to help organise and run this. This could be work experience for the youths. Organisation skills, people skills, working in the public sector.

That's not my solution but an idea of the way things should be done in this country. The idea to be British is almost dead. The youth are the ones who will look after a lot of us when we're older. Can you honestly imagine what it'll be like in the future the way things are going.......?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
bleddy hell the government doing something right.

i think this is a great idea, taxes SHOULD drop, itll definately get the scum off the street (although good parenting can sort that), im a bin man (not the best of jobs but i like it) and i work in a lot of council estates, you would see a definate drop in the refuse being used in the uk which in my eyes is quite a big issue.

i know someone who has been on the dole for as long as ive known him for being "clinically depressed" so depressed that he can go out drinking with all his mates, go down the gym and get fit, dive a pretty swish car etc, i know he is not physically impaired to work and this idea would get him off his fat lazy arse and earn the the flat, the £2-300 quid he gets a week the cars.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This wouldn't be happening if their parents would of tried much harder to bring them up right. Most of these young adults ( KIDS ) ran the streets at an age where their parents could of taught them better. I see kids now running the streets, smoking their cigarettes and trash talking and I wonder where their parents are? Are they off doing drugs somewhere or drinking it up or maybe just to lazy to be a part of their child's life. There's no excuse and only the parents fault for these kids growing up ignorant and uneducated.

If the parents can't do it, then I'm glad to see the government do something about it. Believe I think the best thing a government can do and should only do is protect their country and the rights of their citizens. But for once I have to agree with them stepping in and I only hope that the program will work and change lives for these kids.

[edit on 5/28/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
This wouldn't be happening if their parents would of tried much harder to bring them up right. Most of these young adults ( KIDS ) ran the streets at an age where their parents could of taught them better. I see kids now running the streets, smoking their cigarettes and trash talking and I wonder where their parents are? Are they off doing drugs somewhere or drinking it up or maybe just to lazy to be a part of their child's life. There's no excuse and only the parents fault for these kids growing up ignorant and uneducated.

The parents are a big part of it yep, although they aren't the only problem. However when a gang of kids, from the ages of about 8-12 are hanging around on a street corner at 9pm, well then it is the parents fault. It's sometimes slightly nerve racking wakling past a group of 10 of these little children, some of whom are drinking and smoking. I'm starting to think that if a police officer walks past such a group then they should take names and addresses and inform social services, because the parents have obviously dropped the ball.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm seeing a lot of this in this thread: "The government should stay out of our lives!" which is fine, but the only problem is the same folks who say that also say this "the government is responsible for ensuring every citizen has a good job with a living wage and, barring that, they should take care of the poor!" oftentimes both statements bookending each other in the same post...

Is it really so difficult for people to understand that it's ridiculous to have you hand out going "gimme, gimme" while refusing to adhere to any expectations or conditions that should be met to get your handouts? Ever hear of an old saying "Beggars can't be choosers?" Seems like a major problem with the world today is the beggars have a chip on their shoulder and believe they have a right to anything and everything they desire. Sorry, it doesn't work that way nor should it.

I'm a firm supporter of programs like this and I believe they don't go far enough. This country (USA) for example... everytime I dirve along a road that has trash and litter lining the roadside I wonder why it is that there are able-bodied individuals recieving federal handouts while this work goes undone. Every working-aged person, aside from complete invalids, who recieves a hand out from the government should be required to perform community service at a level commisurate with the ammount of their hand out. Pick up trash, read to kids, serve food, scrub toilets at rest stops, take responsibillity (for many of them) for the first time in years.

It's apparently fascism for the government to have any involvement in their country's citizens lives... unless, of course, that involvement entails writing checks out to the lazy, poor, and needy... and then it's sunshine and farts all around. I'd rather see my tax dollars going to the millitary, at least they're actually working for my money.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Yes i noticed that as well. Whilst i myself dont' like the idea of ID cards and a few other invasions of privacy, i do agree with forcing healthy people into work. I'm tired of people sitting on the dole for 5 years, or claiming benefits they aren't entitled to. I had to jump through so many hoops to get benefits when i became ill and the only reason i had to jump through those hoops is becuase of all the scroungers, hammering every handout they can get when they're not even ill.

Oh and the ones that really get my goat are the ones with back pain, well you know what? If you have a problem with your back you could easily still work, my backs wrecked and i worked with it no problem. You can even get jobs at home now, sitting on a phone for certain companies, and i don't mean telemarketting, i mean customer service. The pay is honestly not that bad and certainly beats benefit payments.

Some of these people just simply do not want to work, so lets force them into it shall we, why should every working person pay taxes for someone who just doesn't want to get off their arse?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
I'm seeing a lot of this in this thread: "The government should stay out of our lives!" which is fine, but the only problem is the same folks who say that also say this "the government is responsible for ensuring every citizen has a good job with a living wage and, barring that, they should take care of the poor!" oftentimes both statements bookending each other in the same post...

Is it really so difficult for people to understand that it's ridiculous to have you hand out going "gimme, gimme" while refusing to adhere to any expectations or conditions that should be met to get your handouts? Ever hear of an old saying "Beggars can't be choosers?" Seems like a major problem with the world today is the beggars have a chip on their shoulder and believe they have a right to anything and everything they desire. Sorry, it doesn't work that way nor should it.

I'm a firm supporter of programs like this and I believe they don't go far enough. This country (USA) for example... everytime I dirve along a road that has trash and litter lining the roadside I wonder why it is that there are able-bodied individuals recieving federal handouts while this work goes undone. Every working-aged person, aside from complete invalids, who recieves a hand out from the government should be required to perform community service at a level commisurate with the ammount of their hand out. Pick up trash, read to kids, serve food, scrub toilets at rest stops, take responsibillity (for many of them) for the first time in years.

It's apparently fascism for the government to have any involvement in their country's citizens lives... unless, of course, that involvement entails writing checks out to the lazy, poor, and needy... and then it's sunshine and farts all around. I'd rather see my tax dollars going to the millitary, at least they're actually working for my money.

agree with this- I am for smaller government, minimising it as much as possible and cuttin out much of the beauracracy, but when people are receiving "STATE" handouts, they should at least put some effort in

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Exactly, able bodied people should work. My question is, at the end of the day, where is the pride? I look at my crappy paycheck every week and realise that after bills and groceries I might not be able to afford the things that I want. But at the end of it all, I look at that crap check and realise, I earned every penny of it. I can't stand sitting on my butt not ding anyhting. I was unemployed for two months and it drove me insane. I could not stand not working for a living. Why are so many people who CAN work, refusing to take a little pride in themselves? I understand the people who can't work for medical reasons, those I get, they can't work for whatever reason and it sucks and some of them don't like it. My grandfather was forced into retirement because of his health and given disability. It literally killed him. He was depressed for weeks before his heart gave out. My dad broke one of his vertabrae and was told by doctors he can't work till it healed, he stillw anted to work and hung his . in shame for taking government disability welfare money. Some people will never learn i guess.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
They say.

(Jobless UK Youths To Be Put Into Camps)

I say.

(Not my bloody kid's and over my dead and lifeless corpse)

Anyone who is willing to allow there children to be placed in one of these special camp's WINK WINK.

Has failed as a parent !

THE END.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 29-5-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm buying futures options in Zyklon B..
Well, the UK let them take the guns away...history shows what happens to dis-armed people.
There are "FEMA" camps readied here in the U.S., serviced by rail cars, but these are not pullmans, and they have chains and shackles bolted to the floors and walls.
They are also contemplating re-instituting the draft, only now they consider drafting males and females, to age 35... they'll need the cannon fodder for the Iran conflict, especially if Iran's allies jump into the fray.
Interesting times.
Interesting times indeed.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Luminaught]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Shades of what the Communists countries do.

I cant say they put them in camps, but they do round up people who seem to have time "available" and send them in the fields for days at a time to cut sugar cane or whatever.

They say its a *Voluntary* program- course, if you dont go, they'll throw you in prison. or worse.

Why does everything seem to resemble communism so much now?
Surely, we are spreading DEMOCRACY throughout the world, arent we?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
i'm 22 and i'm just back on the dole. i'm kinda wary about this idea.

there's basically only one real job i'm qualified for (technical support). there's only two positions availible for me to realistically apply for so i doubt i'll get either. the other possibility open to me is working a 48 hour week in a warehouse for little more than minimum wage. that's pretty much it. there's not even any other unskilled jobs i could get because those who don't need to employ 21+ year olds for insurance purposes, won't hire me because minimum wage is lower for kids.

now i don't have a problem with minimum wage but is our country's economy even built to deal with this? businesses aren't competing for labour and the most active market is pushing the limits of what's acceptable in the first world. employees are literally locked in warehouses for the majority of their 12 hour shifts and are searched whenever they leave the building.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

If you don't go on the volutary training program or do the voluntary community service, you don't get your handout from the government. I didn't see prison mentioned anywhere.

Is it really that much to ask that young, able bodied people currently without work do something to earn their government benefit cheque?

I think the biggest mistake in this article was using the word 'camp' as people are jumping to ridiculous conclusions as soon as they see it and picturing the youth of britain being herded into box cars never to be seen again. It's as much like a 'camp' as the training course my employer sent me on a few months back, i.e not at all.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
i just made an anonymous post. describing how little opportunity for kids to get jobs these days. basically the only option open for a lot of people is to work in a factory or warehouse.

i just remembered about a place i worked once. it was a 50 hour week over 5 days. in the contract was the clause "if you miss a day of work (this includes being late too, as the building is locked during shift)you will lose that days wage plus £20 for every day you do work"). so one missed day is an £80 fine on top of a loss of days wages. two missed days is £120, which would leave you with about £30 for 27 hours work. i don't even think sick days got you out of this.

there's a lack of work ethic, then there's a resistance to exploitation. is there any wonder so many kids refuse to take manual labour jobs?

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

Once again, these are not camps! In fact i'm going to repeat that one in bold These are not camps, they don't involve camping or detainment, there are no verses of kum by ah, basically these places are campless.

This is a place where you go some days to learn a skill, get some education and find placements for jobs. They are like our already existing job centres only more involved. If someone who is perfectly well and able to work is getting government handouts, then is it much to ask them to look for work? They are supposed ot be doing that when they're on the dole, not sitting in the pub or watching daytime tv.

They can work, they should work, and the majority of the population want them to work, these centres are perfectly in line with democracy.

Again though, these are not camps, no one is staying overnight, a policemen does not turn up at your door and escort you there, there are no shackles involved and they do not sit you in front of a cinema screen piping in mind washing propoganda.

Calling them camps and communist is the typical over reaction to what is essentially a very good idea to get people into work.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by youthofbritain

i just remembered about a place i worked once. it was a 50 hour week over 5 days. in the contract was the clause "if you miss a day of work (this includes being late too, as the building is locked during shift)you will lose that days wage plus £20 for every day you do work"). so one missed day is an £80 fine on top of a loss of days wages. two missed days is £120, which would leave you with about £30 for 27 hours work. i don't even think sick days got you out of this.

Youth
yes it seems to me that is a real problem. I am surprised the laws of the country allow that to happen. I agree with you there is little wonder why people would not take those jobs.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Well, America had the CCC back in the Depression era, and no one seemed to mind that. I don't know what the wages were, or how good/bad the working conditions were, but that was a government work camp arrangement.

As a Libertarian, I think this mentality should be done away with, for it's a terrible blight on freedom. We should all consider voting Libertarian, and get rid of this bloated government we have. It's not working for us any more.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join