It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless UK Youths To Be Put Into Camps

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by selfisolated

If you don't want a naff job then get some skills enroll in a course or go for management posisitions after working at this naff job for a while. There is the oppertunity for social mobility in this country if you are willing to work for it.

If this were the 1990s/early 2000s he'd be partially right.

The trouble is you've got to travel to big city like London and work like a trojan in the construction industry on 12 hour shifts for 6-7 days per week. The work usually lasts all summer and autumn and then there's not much.
These days all the East Euros have saturated the job market and flooded the construction sites working for jack sht coin.
Social mobility is very hard now for a lot of us. Public transport is a joke and cars are getting ridiculously expensive.
I work offshore and even there it's no longer the golden goose it once was.
We're in the end game here in some ways, the winding down of one phase and the beggining of another.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

And it's either you'll be a slave for the government or a slave to the big corporations. YAY liberty! UK has always been a fascist state, just hidden in some way. When you still got a queen, there's a HUGE problem.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Vitchilo]

Errr...what?

So Norway, Denmark, Sweden, The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada, Australia (the list goes on and on and on) all have a 'huge problem'?

How?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by itchy_tartan_blanket

its not how it appears really.
Its not that I want to be handed a great job, which people have said to me.

The Snack A Jack job was awful, when I say 12 hour shifts I mean I had to get up at 4.30 am, set off at 5 to be there at 5.30 to start at 6. Then, working til 6.
For about 20p more than minimum wage.
And don't get me wrong, I tried communicating with the immigrant workers, and not in a typical idiotic British way. I found them to be quite ignorant, talking to the other people from their country and noone else.
I have a big list of reasons why I left there. Downright lies partly - guaranteed 48 hours a week, plus overtime. I even signed a waiver about the law on how many hours a person can work.
Then, in a week I only get 18 hours? Hmm.

I'm lost on this thread now cos ive been gone for 7 hours. And I'm tired.
I give up trying to argue my case. I'm young, unemployed, and want a job. Just a job that will give me enough money to live off. The doles rubbish.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

I tend to agree.Welfare should be for the helpless not for the worthless.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I'm all for getting the lazy no do gooders off their rears and into a decent job.

But camps?! I think that's taking it to an extreme level. What about denying that person the benefits of social security? That will probably motivate them to get off their bums! But honestly, I can see this whole camp thing go from bad to worse. Not to mention, this gives the government(s) more lean way to start other programs...

Not fun.

FK

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
It won't be long until this law gets to America. The more I hear about these draconian laws the more credibility controversial reporter Alex Jones gets.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
If companies can't pay a decent wage then they should be liquidated to make room for a more profitable business that can.

Didn't they have Labour Battalions in Nazi Germany for the unemployed?

[edit on 27/5/08 by carslake]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If forced in camp, say that you retired, and have enough money to sustain yourself. Or better yet get a broken leg so you can't work for the government. AH HA!!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This may have been said before, and if it has, and I did not read that post, then I appologize. The way it looks, at least to me by the wording, is anyone that won't TAKE a job, as in, they won't even look for one, and just want to freeload cause they have learned that it is easier than getting a job. I may be wrong, and may have read it completely wrong, bt that is my thought on the matter. If that is not it, and it is an actual prison camp, then that is bad, but training in a vocation not so bad an idea.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated

I'm lost on this thread now cos ive been gone for 7 hours. And I'm tired.
I give up trying to argue my case. I'm young, unemployed, and want a job. Just a job that will give me enough money to live off. The doles rubbish.

Selfisolated
from what you described it sounds like you did kind of get screwed. I hope you will find another job also. One that will hopefully treat people fairly.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Wow...

That is creepy.

I know the UK has a lot of unemployment, but surely there's better ways of encouraging people to get jobs.
Sticking people into camps is very wrong.

Since when did we become the people our grandparents defended us from in the war?

Sad.

Please explain to me if you would why if there is so much unemployment in the UK that there is so much emigration to the Uk in the first place. Wouldn't you think that these people know that there is no work there and how do they expect to live there without any work. Unless, ofcourse, the State is giving out money hand and fist which would surely make it a welfare state. The government must have their printing press going full time to print all that money in which case slowly but surely the value of the Pound or Euro must be slowly lose its value like the US. Something have got to give and surely the camps must be one of the answers but how I am at a lost.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korvenus
It won't be long until this law gets to America. The more I hear about these draconian laws the more credibility controversial reporter Alex Jones gets.

Korvenus
I agree with you on that point also. I do think we are going to see more of this in the U.S, be it for better or for worse.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
This idea won't work. Instead you'll have lots of disaffected youths hiding from the authorities so as not to be sent to boot camp. They would then have to resort to stealing to feed themselves. At the boot camp itself what happens when they don't cooperate.....beat the crap out of them?

Dumb dumb dumb idea.

The system we have does not help and a complete overhaul of the tax/benefit system is needed. We also need to accept that it is far safer and cheaper to pay idiots to stay at home off the streets festering in front of the TV than forcing them to work. Do you really want an idiot who does not give a damn learning how to drive a bus (of schoolchildren) so he can buy his cheap brain rotting alcohol.....No thank you please keep him in front of the TV watching Big Brother (cheaper than prison).

The problem we have, with these "ideas", is the right wing Mr Angry who is frustrated and whose control freak attitude makes him believe he can force uncooperative people to cooperate.....WRONG! Newton's law comes into play : to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated

I'd be quite happy with a communist state. Honestly I would, at least then (with the exception of the rulers of course) everybody would have an equal chance.

As I'm sure I've already mentioned, I'm being snubbed because Polish immigrants (theres a lot of them round here) will do the rubbish jobs at minimum wage.. which I'd be happy doing for a couple more quid an hour. And theres the whole me-not-having-a-degree thing, which is a major setback.

Wouldn't happen in a communist society. Either, we'd all be happy as larry or we'd all be fooked. Can't argue with that

erm, you'd just be "fooked" and could more than likely end up dead in a concentration camp a la stalin or beaten to death with shovels ala mao

You couldn't argue with it if you had some sort of warped mental state

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
This idea won't work. Instead you'll have lots of disaffected youths hiding from the authorities so as not to be sent to boot camp.

Actually you need to remember that this is still a voluntary option. It is based on reciveing and getting people off the Dole. So this could be one way of changing the system.

The problem we have, with these "ideas", is the right wing Mr Angry who is frustrated and whose control freak attitude makes him believe he can force uncooperative people to cooperate.....WRONG! Newton's law comes into play : to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

That is a good point, I do not know what will happen if people do not cooperate, or are just to angry to have much desire to cooperate.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Chris McGee

Well Chris,

This is a fairly academic question.

The point and general thrust of the post was to highlight the fact that young, jobless people ARE taxpayers, as opposed to NON-TAXPAYERS.

It's fairly irrelevent WHERE the money they spend actually initially originates, whether that money comes from the 'system' (which, lest we forget, IS there for ALL of our use, including young jobless people.), comes from parents, relatives, friends, the proceeds of crime...the origin of the money is just an academic one, when you consider that ALL money is 'recycled', and originats elsewhere under differing circumstances.

The fact of the matter is, if all of the people who currently recieve social benefit(s) stopped 'being taxpayers' en masse, the WHOLE county, employed and unemployed would feel a serious economic smack in the face.

To argue, that well 'They are not really taxpayers', as the tax originally came from the system (which is ALL of US btw), is a complete misnomer.

I suppose pensioners are non-taxpayers too according to your logic friend?

If so, i'm afraid you're gonna be a bit off the facts again there too.

They pay tax, again on everything they consume, they pay tax at source too, but because the money ORIGINALLY comes from US (the system) then that make them non-taxpayers does it? No, of course it doesn't.

You are also, assuming the money that is paid in benefits to whoever, is 'lost' or unrecoverable resources, i completely disagree. The money (or resources) weighed up against someones quality of life couldn't be any less important in the grand scheme of things, if it was trying very, very hard to be something less important in the grand scheme of things.

Money is mashed plant material with ink on it. Gold is just a yellow softish metal that resists oxidisation, silver as with gold. Flesh, and the life that animates that flesh, whether 'on the dole', or slogging it's nut/tits off in a dim, unpleasant warehouse or similar, is far, far more valuable as a resource.

Happy about the £110 BILLION thats been thrown at Northern Rock bank, of OUR resources are you?

I wonder how long that would have supported these 'Worthless scum' eh?
Or the 20 BILLION for the olympics? or the 100 BILLION for Trident? or the 100 BILLION earmarked for ID cards, or the.....(getting the picture yet?)

Let's get government spending into a rational perspective, before we lable a huge swathe of our FUTURE as worthless scrounging scum shall we?

spikey.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
This sounds fair enough to me. The amount of lazy indigenous British people who feel that they are above unskilled work like veggie fuit picking factory work is appaling. These jobs are taken up by European immigrants which then lead to some of these same people crying foul crying about 'theri jobs' being taken. There is a job for every person in the U.K if they want one.

I couldn't agree more. This is a perfect example of the spoiled child.

- "I don't want to do that cos it's dirty and I have to be up at the crack of dawn to put some graft in. What about my social life? I can't get pished and go to work that early and my mates will laugh at me cos i'm picking strawberries and tatties. I'll just sit on my arse and claim benefits and do the odd job here and there and not declare it."

When I lived in Holland back in 2000-2001, I lived in a farmhouse with an old couple who rented me a room. In the farmyard was a caravan, on feet of bricks, and it was around the same size as the one from Father Ted when they went on holiday. (if you've not seen it, it's tiny). I worked in a manufacturing plant building farm machinery and made around £300 a week. The company paid everything for me , rent, travel to work. I only paid for food etc. I worked 35 hours a week.

in the caravan there lived a Polish father and daughter, Josef and Anna. They worked as flower pickers. 14 hour days, 6 days a week, 10 hours on a sunday and still didnt make the same as myself. I was 21-22 and felt like such a fanny when my friend and I shared some beer and BBQ on one of their very rare days off and started talking about wages. I learned a lot that sunday.

U can't really blame foreigners for coming here. If you were i n their shoes I guarantee you'd do the same. We all jumped into this EU malarkey with eyes wide shut. Open borders, european stock market, the EEC, free trade in the Union. Ok most of the immigrants are from the newer member countries but how many Brits do you know of who go abroad to live and work? Spain? Portugal? Greece? I've worked and lived in Portugal and Holland.

You can't use immigrants as an excuse to justify why you won't go pick fruit in a field or work in a factory or work any minimum wage job. A job is a job. These people don't want to do it either but they do. Entire families pulling together. Some of us could take a leaf out their book.

I also remember me and my mate trying our luck with Anna....lol. She sat next to me wearing a nice gypsy top,nice jeans but had tan tights on underneath. Weird I thought, but she was still worth one...until the leg of her jeans came up and she had the hairiest legs i've ever seen! I moved and let my mate move in.....I actually seen the moment when he noticed her legs!!! I'm not saying Polish women are hairy. This one certainly was though.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

This is a popular thread. It's recent, and it's already at six pages. I've read the first page, post-per-post...and I was left thinking, "well, it sounds like preparation for a draft..."

And I F3'd the subsequent pages for the word "draft". Yours was the only hit.

To cut to the chase, all we need is a publicity slant to this new indoctrination...something like the phrase "Joy Division"...and then we'll know it's too late.

F

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Personally I wouldn't waste time with 'boot camps' - just round em all up and ship 'em off to the Siberian Salt Mines for 40 years. By the time they come back a few might actually be capable of making a worthwhile contribution to society ..... Meanwhile, no more gangs of knife wielding yobs and a massive drop in the number of teenagers pregnant with their third child, all having different fathers ......

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

Just to let you know - Single parents who work get Working Tax Credits and their wage. They can work up to 16 hours a week and the Government pays 80% of childcare costs. Which is pretty fair. My friend is in that boat just now. I know in colleges etc there are creche facilities. Single parents with kids of nursery and school age won't really have much of a problem during term. The rest I'm not too sure of. Obviously newborns to a certain age are covered by maternity leave.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join