It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copyright Police may seize iPods, Macs under G8 trade deal

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
"They can take my human rights
They can enforce a police state
but they will NEVER take our MUSIC!" - Mel Gibson.

Braveheart

This isn't just child services coming for your children! They are coming for your IPOD!

Lock 'n Load

hehe

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Oooookay.

If they were really worried about piracy, they would have BANNED blank cassettes a LONG time ago.

... oh right, some of the money from blank cassettes used to be paid to them... regardless of whether they produced the song or not.

Hey, wait a minute...

I used blank cassettes to record MY music!

I want that money back!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If this passes and gets enforced, it's about the stupidest thing the PTB could do, IMO. Gadgets, gizmos, pop-music and music videos are part of the disneyland illusion holding the fabric of the collective perceived reality together. Most average Americans might care somewhat about torture going on far away, but it isn't in their faces. Start taking away their toys and the average person is going to really start paying attention and getting less cooperative. The threat level goes up. A lot of people believe that if they still have their toys, and reality shows, etc that things can't be that bad.

I bought my ipod with the intention to use it while traveling. It's great to be able to listen to music or an audiobook, or a podcast while on a plane or at the airport. I've always been a little paranoid about some of the podcasts on my ipod. I mean, I write a blog about weird things, so it's part of my job to read/listen/watch things that are outside of the mainstream. I saw Naomi Wolf give a lecture recently, talking about how she is careful about what book she brings with her to read at the airport. Sometimes I wonder if this isn't all just intimidation.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Man if they take away my ipod i seriously wouldn't have something to pull me through the day. My attention span THRIVES on music. Video games get old after about...5 minutes. Music never ages. I will seriously fight a fool if they try to take my music. They can't prove whether I've ripped it or stole it (not saying i steal just pointing out they don't have a way to prove it's origin). I HIGHLY doubt this will get passed, and even if it does, good luck enforcing it. They'll need a helluva lot more jail space cause some people make a living of pirating sadly enough. Better than drugs and stuff i see it.

Either way, i know how to protect myself where needed when it comes to computers, i've trained my itouch to hide what i need it to when necessary. I say RIAA POlice, bring it on. i'll take ya lol

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The more i read, the more scary this becomes... its seems like they are looking for our weaknesses and then prey on them and take them away... im someone who would never do anything intentional to break the law and land myself in trouble, yet that very thing is becoming increasingly more possible to the average person like me..... what next? being arrested for simple freedoms we should always have..

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicstorm

Technically speaking, violating a copyright restriction has never been and should never be an issue of "freedom." I'm with the folks against the RIAA, but I'm not going to go so far as to say I have a right to pirate music. I simply feel that they have overstretched the penalties and changed the playing field to the point where I believe everyone should fight them at every possible turn. If the end result is that bands like Metallica stop putting music out, then so what? I highly doubt that would happen, anyway, considering Lars doesn't exactly have any marketable skills or source of income aside from banging a set of drums.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
They are really squeezing us in to a shoebox aren't they? This could be bad or just plain inconvenient for a lot of people depending on the situation. Glad my HDV Sony's don't have that memory slot...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the awareness this site offers! im in no doubt about this article and have no intention of complying with any infringement of such personal freedoms...same with UK i.d cards. i'll got to prison first. this is the first time i've found this site but again thanks and i will look in regularly and add my voice and support.
Peaceful protest and social organised disobedience i say true Gandhi style i guess

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Being a hifi junky with some pricey gear and an ipod that gets thrashed every day at work via headphones with days and days worth of music... I ain't yielding. Music keeps me sane. If this is passed I'll use my IT tech knowledge to fudge them in the butt back.

'Oh look I have a blank ipod/computer, Now piss off...'
Data is easily hidden in various ways. Not to mention I pull laptops apart for a living.. plenty of places for me to hide various storage devices etc
haha...
There are so many ways around this it's just funny, fight technology with technology. Viruses still exist, blueray was cracked, DVD's got cracked easily... there is _ALWAYS_ a countermeasure.

Only problem is your average joe does not have the knowhow or experience to do such things often... that's the main problem. I feel sorry for them!

edit: isn't the onus on them - you don't have to prove you're not guilty.. they have to prove you are..?

[edit on 28-5-2008 by GhostR1der]

edit2: this is pure revenue gathering by RIAA - artists practically get nothing from media sales - it's the concerts which they do. I have many friends in the industry who echo that sentiment... When a band comes to New Zealand that I like (not too often unfortunately :/) I go to the concert. They'll get much more money that way than me buying the albums and paying a big corporation slush fund for a Chinese produced piece of plastic and paper and a bit of freight/marketing/stock charges..

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This is what I found on the Orphan law.
www.thomas.gov...:H.R.5889:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

And the pirates are who??

www.barefootsworld.net...

We are being fed this crap by treasonous bastards trying to divide and conquer who need to walk the plank at sea!

Put 'em in their own element!--kick 'em off the land!

---

"This power is as extensive upon land as upon water. The Constitution makes no distinction in that respect. And if the admiralty jurisdiction, in matters of contract and tort which the courts of the United States may lawfully exercise on the high seas, can be extended to the lakes under the power to regulate commerce, it can with the same propriety and upon the same construction, be extended to contracts and torts on land when the commerce is between different States. And it may embrace also the vehicles and persons engaged in carrying it on (my note - remember what the law of the flag said when you receive benefits from the king.) It would be in the power of Congress to confer admiralty jurisdiction upon its courts, over the cars engaged in transporting passengers or merchandise from one State to another, and over the persons engaged in conducting them, and deny to the parties the trial by jury. Now the judicial power in cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction, has never been supposed to extend to contracts made on land and to be executed on land. But if the power of regulating commerce can be made the foundation of jurisdiction in its courts, and a new and extended admiralty jurisdiction beyond its heretofore known and admitted limits, may be created on water under that authority, the same reason would justify the same exercise of power on land." -- Propeller Genessee Chief et al. v. Fitzhugh et al. 12 How. 443 (U.S. 1851)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This new proposal is absolutely rediculous. I believe the real reason the government is trying to get this passed is so that they can have unrestriced access to any storage device that they suspect has "stolen music".

Also, I think it is rediculous how much they charge for CD's and as another poster mentioned, movie tickets. I as a college student can barely afford gas right now, and all these millionaire artists/record labels are concerned about is getting their big pile of money. I think it is absolutely rediculous to see the millions and millions of dollars these people make, and then they say they aren't getting enough money while thousands of people are homeless now and can't afford gas/food/homes/etc.

I hope this proposal is not a glimpse into the future of our country, because if it is, we are in for a very sad existence.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Yea I'm too cheap to buy $3,800+ worth of music... is that a bad thing? Music is not an item that I really NEED so I don't feel like I should spend money on that when I don't have to have it to survive.

Also... we'd still have this things if everyone bought music... and they'd still find ways to create a law to search these things.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
If any government suit tries to force this on me I will go down like a wild animal. You could argue that it's a matter of me being a baby and throwing a tantrum just on a grander scale but thats how I feel. Music is all I have, its my best friend, it's my pat on the back, it's my anger and my sadness. Beethoven, Coldplay, Nine Inch Nails, Even Kanye West from time to time. Music is the driving force in my life, it would be the same as if you came in to my home and took my only love from me. I would be shot defending this, I won't stand still and let them take it from me, and for the record, I'd go down before I'd get an ID chip implanted in myself. I hate talking and thinking like this but look at what it has come down to, not only are we losing our constitutional rights, we're losing our natural rights of freedom as well. I can only hope those persecuted by these sorts of laws are strong/smart enough to resist.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I thought about this overnight a bit more, and although my oiginal post was abouit how to get around this, my current post is to why I think it's happening.

The people here complaining about the mp3 players/RIAA/ipods etc are just colateral damage.
Essentially this law is not meant for you, but as laws go, they cannot specify what law is for what person, so laws get dumped on us all and later the "justice system" sorts out the fallout.

I see this bill as an extension of the search your laptop law.
Think about it, airports are searching laptops at departure, no longer for chemicals/explosive for actual data that may be considered dangerous, so what do you do? Travel with a laptop that's a virgin install of whatever OS plus an office suite and load a few family pics and also some letters to back home. MEANWHILE all along on that iPod shuffle in your shirt pocket is 1GB of nuclear submarine designs....get my point?

Airport security either assume its just music on it and such a device can't hold data and ignore it, or they know but don't know how to check it or they do know and aren't allowed to check it.
This law and obvious followup training and IT infrastructure will get around that.

Anyway's they are not out to get you for copyright, however it might be a nice little revenue generator on the side for them whilst they hunt the "bad guys". Kind of like police fining you for illegal parking whilst they are out looking for bank robbers...

So what's to stop a real "bad guy" loading a new homemade auto executing trojan on a device letting them check it and then:
1. sitting back at home whilst the keystokr logger does its job until his or an accomplices next flight who's 2nd device then gets the downloaded info.
2. attacking all files on said PC/Hardware device that reads the trojan.
3. infiltrating whatever core system that they use to "keep everyone safe"

Double edged sword if u ask me...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I have a Creative Zen 16GB with a SD card slot (which is currently being occupied by a 32GB SD card)

Going through the airport . . . everything goes to the SD card.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Twisted Pair

Good stuff on that link you provided. Cleared a lot of stuff for me. The only thing that I do not like is the helplessness of it all. We are so screwed.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Would this really work though? I live in England and we are already having to let [eole go from prison because there is not enough room and we are already loosing alot of money due to stupidly high taxes.

How do they expect to put the peole in these places or get them to pay. they may as well just turn us into one large prsion.

Think this way, there are apporx. 57 million people in England...I'll say 20 million ocmpiters with net access. Out of that 19 million will have some sort of illegaly gained maerial (Usually music). How are they going to deal with all of that. But even before we get there how are they going to check the 20 million houses with a computer.

They would have to go area by area meaning you would know they are coming giving you time to swap your HDD with a blank one and hide your i-pod. You can then simply claim your HDD broke so you got a new one and you have no i-pod....

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
These are BORDER issues - they can already search your home with a warrant (except in America - can do as they please - well done U.S.A. - looks like there is only so much freedom to go around, add some Iraq - take some from home).

These activities will take place on our borders - what the "Authorities" fail to understand is that the people who USE these products are the ones who MAKE these products - the geeks and hackers around the world are the best - and they will most certainly mess you up.......

This is a really, really stuuuuuuupid idea.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
"Ma Bell has you by the calls"

Personally, I do not believe in the institutions of copyrights, patents, royalties, franchises, or intellectual property.

FREE KNOWLEDGE,
ONE HUMANITY,

Research, write, sing, and dance for LOVE not for profit.

OPEN SOURCE,
PUBLIC DOMAIN,

I cut my crown moulding by hand with a coping saw; I get paid well for each corner I turn... If you want to get some machine to mass produce crown moulding corners just the way I do and sell them in mass to every tom, dick, and harry... have fun, god bless, make a fortune... there will still be someone out there willing to pay ME to be in their home, driving nails by hand; doing what I love.

Who Killed the ELECTRIC CAR?

Large energy companies are often suspected of resisting alternative energy, for example buying patents to new technological advances to stop more energy efficient modes of transport.

en.wikipedia.org...

the egoistic paradigm of intellectual property WILL FALL,

Sri Oracle

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Sri Oracle]

<< 1  2   >>

join