It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copyright Police may seize iPods, Macs under G8 trade deal

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by RabbitChaser
See what all you "too cheap to buy your music" crooks did? You've only given more leverage to crap like this. Way to go, geniuses!!

When one takes something that is not theirs and does not pay for it, that is known as stealing or theft. I hope everyone of you theives gets nailed to the wall.

Unfortunately, you're inability to do the right thing in the first place will most likely affect all the people not engaged in your shoddy practices, too. Thanks

Heh . . . I refuse to pay $20 for a cd with maybe 3 good songs on it. Sorry. I also refuse to pay a $10 movie ticket, much less $60 if I take my family with me (plus 5$ cokes, nachos, popcorn, $3 pickles, candies, etc.). When they stop ripping me off is when I stop ripping them off.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Ive always suspected that it was more than that.

When you walk through airport security, what if they scanned and saved the contents of your laptop?

They could easily put in place such provisions and claim that they are anti-terrorist in nature.

As for seizing ipods... just let them try. Molon Labe.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Hate to say it but...

YET ANOTHER reason why you should not own Apple products.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Protect the poor, defenseless, RICH corporations. Of course. Sometimes I honestly wonder if there's really any hope left for the human race... if stuff like this keeps happening.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Not a good idea, police are here to serve and protect us. All this will do is waste the police time and our time, when there are more important things going on, and it will cause distrust in the police, because we know they don't trust us. The seperation between us and police will become more, and seperation is always bad, because it breeds hatred and violence.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
Hate to say it but...

YET ANOTHER reason why you should not own Apple products.

Do you really think they're going to care whether you're toting a MacBook and an Ipod as opposed to a PC and a Zune? A good percentage of those responsible for going through your stuff probably can't tell a mac from a PC if their life depended on it, and any little box with headphones attached is considered an "Ipod".

Looks like the Sansa's with MicroSD slots are going to get a sales boost...

As previously mentioned, there is absolutely no way to differentiate songs that were paid for and downloaded leagally, and those that were not. In order for anything like this to work, they've got to get DRM working, and I think it's already preatty clear it can't be made to work.

This also seems to give free reign over our cell phones and PDAs.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

so basicaly anyone that owns a computer or anything that is digital player of any sort can have it stolen, i mean seized by the authorities, thats going to be awfull lot and not really feasible looking at the amount of people that have some sort of product that can be considerd copied.

bloody basterds who brought this idea up should be shot.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, starred & flagged. This is just ridiculous and has nothing at all to do with copyright laws it's just another example of the goverment trying to control every aspect of our lives.

There's something more going on here. They don't want access to our downloaded music. They want access to our personal information ! That's why they're doing this in secret without the chance for public input, because they know we aren't so stupid as to believe it's about copyright infringement.

Two of the articles state that if this passes it could lead to strict regulations on internet providers, forcing them to hand over customer information without court orders. That's what this is about !

Under the pretence of "checking" our records to see who is and who isn't sharing information, they will gain the access to all of our information. When is enough enough, when the hell are we going to wake up and put an end to this tryanny !?

What's next allowing the police to randomly pull people over to check & see if the cd your listening to while driving is store bought or burned ? I pay for my music & have hundreds of cd's to prove it. And while i do not have the right to copy and sell said music, i damn sure have a right to copy it to an mp3. ipod, or cd to listen to MY music that i PAID for when i'm out of my house !!!!!

It's no different than recording something onto a cassette for a walkman which people have been doing for over a quarter of a century already. It's about gaining access to our information plain & simple.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
When they stop ripping me off is when I stop ripping them off.

This Act is not in any way secret or undiscussed. It has been a big topic in the Artists Community for some weeks now.

There is no difference between stealing physical property or stealing intellectual property. Both require hard work and an investment of time and money to produce. A thief is a thief is a thief.

The discussion in the Artist's forums has been the opposite. We are worried it will give less protection, not more. One of the troubling provisions, as I understand it, is that we will now have to pay a fee and register all copyrights to own our own work.

If anything, those stealing intellectual property MUST be treated like the common thieves they truly are. If music or movies are so important to you that you resort to stealing to get your fix, you are an addict at best. Just like a drug addict.

You obviously value the work you refuse to pay for, enough to risk jail to get it. How is that any different than a Junkie shoplifting to get a fix? It's not any different is the real answer.

Nobody is going to take your precious iPods unless it contains stolen goods. Who cares if thieves get caught?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Starred and flagged!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, the world just slides downhill a little more each and every day.

Peace,
FK

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

First, that article is opiinion. Second, it's not a well sourced or formed opinion. Third, the one source that it links to contradicts the claim that legislation calling for the formation of custom Intellectual Property Rights police is being drafted under a "G8 trade deal".

The headline of the article reads: Copyright Police may seize iPods, Macs under G8 trade deal. And a passage reads:

Nations including Canada, the US and various European states (including the UK, which sits on the G8) are secretly agreeing a new pan-global state police deal in which information held on iPods and other devices could be subject to investigation by customs officials tasked with a new role, as copyright police.

However, the link provided in the article clearly states:

Q: Why are you not pursuing this agreement through the G8, WTO, WIPO or other formal structure ?
A:
We feel that the approach of a free-standing agreement gives us the most flexibility to pursue this project among interested countries. We fully support the important work of the G8, WTO, and WIPO, all of which touch on IPR enforcement. The membership and priorities of those organizations simply are not the most conducive to this kind of path breaking project.

There may indeed be some truth to the allegations "Andy Space" has written about, but his piece is basically BS. He doesn't source the claims that the makes, and the once source that he does cite sinks his entire rant.

"Andy's" rant is designed to get people riled up about nothing. Just more media manipulation BS!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
And they won't lie about anything? I mean it's the EU and the RIAA... they are scum, we can't trust them a bit when it comes to freedom, they are against it most of the time. They are control freaks who wants to tax everyone on everything they do.

In the first paragraph they say how they seize a lot of things at the border, then they say that counterfeit goods are a huge part of it, then that they must enforce copyright laws.... so yes, they plan to stop counterfeit electronic stuff, like MP3s, Divx and all that stuff.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Two of the articles state that if this passes it could lead to strict regulations on internet providers, forcing them to hand over customer information without court orders. That's what this is about !

This piece of legislation does not appear to serve either side well. It harms the victims, the artists and chips away at our individual rights. I would agree it is a bad deal all around.

If anything the thieves are helping to cause this sort of legislation through their thefts being used as a reason.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The USA is a CORPERATION run by the FEDERAL RESERVE (and by association the Bank of England thus by further association the IMF and World Bank yet even further association the Vatican). There are well documented facts to back this up. The 12 Federal Reserve districts have more authority then the "elected" government. The police also aren't here to protect you but to protect the corperation and arrest code breakers:

www.revisedhistory.org...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It is not that stealing music is new it has just became easier....who here remembers the days of waiting for your favorite song to come on the radio with your finger hovering over the record button? How I miss those days! Technology has come a long way and too fast in my opinion. All those poor musicians cd sales are going down. I don't feel sorry for them. If someone wants to steal my songs (if I had any) go ahead they would be free anyway. I don't have that big of an ego to put a price on my voice and image anyways.
As for taking our information off hard drives, etc. I don't have nothing to hide but that is my business. I think that is going a little far, but it will not suprise me when it starts happening. Nothing suprises me anymore. It's probably already happens more than we think or know. Isn't that pretty much human nature? To want to know....esp. if you are a person in power? Wouldn't you want to know as much as you could about the masses? Predict their behavior, how they would react to certain things.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The can have my iMac and ipod after they pry them from my dead fingers

Or something like that... I forget the exact quote.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
In all reality you have to authorize your iMac or ipod to download music from itunes and I assume its the same for windoze systems as well... If you don't authorize them downloaded music will not play so they are already licensed... you buy them just like any other music.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
so buy< a walkman with tapes

Noone at airport security can read it.

OR

rewire your ipod/mp3/storage devices connection port. then rewire your connection cable to match - they will try to connect and cant...

OR

always travel with empty devices, and an ubuntu cd for example and store everything on amazon s3 or something and DL at destination

thx for coming!!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATruGod
I'm curious how they will determine what exactly has been legally added and what is an infringement of a copy right.

How do they know if the Metallica (*finger*) songs on my ipod are ripped from cd or ripped from the net?

Considering the RIAA has been trying like hell to make any MP# not purchased as an MP3 illegal, I don't think they care to tell the difference between the two. Seriously, I've seen several recent lawsuits, particularly one from Phoenix that comes to mind, where they've gone after people who had ripped music from their own CDs to put onto an MP3 player, had their PC sent in for servicing, the MP3 files were found and reported, and the RIAA tried to say since the music was on both an MP3 player and their PC they had broken the law.

The RIAA is totally out of control and, thanks largely to Bill Clinton's digital millenium copyright act the government is basically required to do whatever the RIAA asks it to do to fight "piracy." Just watch, in another 10 years free music on the radio as we know it will be dead, too. They'll have some sort of technology or arraingement in which only the first 30 seconds of a song are played on the radio and to hear the whole song you'll have to have an account which charges you some "small" rate every month... a small rate which will over time grow to be similar to your monthly cable bill. This process will start as soon as satelite radio really takes off and the subscriber base is significant enough for the music industry to say "Hey, enough people are paying to get music now that there's absolutely no reason to give it away for free on normal terrestrial radio!"

We need to deal with this the exact same way we've been encouraged to deal with the ever growing cost of food. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSICIANS! Seriously, just like you should be buying whatever produce you can locally grown, you should be supporting the local musicians in your area by going to their concerts, buying their CDs and tapes (most all of which are a fraction the price of big label commercial artists' offerings), and requesting their music to be played on your local radio stations. Do this, uplift the little guys, and eventually the music industry might wake up and realize it's all about the music and return to the old days of trying to make sure as many people as possible enjoy the art form while they're still making a respectable profit (read: not price gouging.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join