It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian company to attempt live interstate hologram

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Australian company to attempt live interstate hologram

www.news.com.au

TELSTRA will attempt an Australian first by beaming a live hologram from Melbourne to Adelaide tomorrow morning.

The telecommunications company claims the hologram will reproduce a real-time image of its chief technology officer Dr Hugh Bradlow as he presents a talk from Melbourne.

Telstra is hoping to wow the business audience in Adelaide with a flashy demonstration of its broadband network's data capacity.

The company's media release, issued today, did not detail the technology they would use to display the hologram.

Despite the first static holograms being developed over 50 years ago, dynamic or motion picture holograms are still a relatively new field of development.

Holograms are created essentially using three lasers and a photosensitive screen to capture the light waves and interference originating from an object.

To a person in front of the screen, this creates an image in three dimensions that appears in mid-air behind the screen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Interesting read and I will update what happens when there is a new article.
I would have thought that technology like this would have been a bit more advanced for military reasons.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-5-2008 by leearco]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder what will happen when that technology becomes available to the average person.
Still a real cool way to show bandwidth capability.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Turns out it wasn't holographic projection at all. They used a Musion Eyeliner system to project the 2D image onto a reflective film.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Al Gore Holograph at Live Earth

Been there done that. Well I guess Al Gore "invented the Internet," so he also invented the holographic presentation.

But there was also Bill Gates doing the holograph.

Bill Gates in Holographic @ WCIT 2008 Kuala Lumpur

Does anyone have any other videos involving holographs and public speaking?

[edit on 26-5-2008 by SkipShipman]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

It's entirely plausible that one day holograms could be used on a board like ATS.

Imagine instead of reading the text in a post, you just click the person's avatar and a hologram of that person materializes next to you and says "in person" what they would have normally had to type.

Better yet, imagine simply clicking the play button on a thread and watching the entire discussion unfold right in front of you in 3D. You would see the emotion on peoples faces and hear it in their voices. You would really get a feel for the people and what they were saying as opposed to trying to interpret emotional queues and meanings from the text they type. I suspect this board would be quite a different place if we were all holograms to each other. It would likely be much less confrontational and people might become more empathetic with members who they disagree with.

Of course, once the technology develops to the point where holograms are undetectable, the nefarious uses of the tech could be frightening. Imagine how easy it would be to frame someone for committing a crime if there were video "evidence" of them on the scene to substantiate it?

Hell, Osama could still be putting out videos in 3012.

At any rate, this tech will definitely change our lives in ways we can not even comprehend. Thanks for the update Leearco.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Here is a small clip of the hologram. HERE

within 5 years they say we can expect to see this technology for businesses and at home.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by leearco

This is the most bloody amazing thing I've seen in a long time!!!

Is there a need for a receiver at the end point? Where the hologram is projected???

Is this real, or a hoax??? Please say it's real!!!

WW

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Not a hoax.....the technology is coming along nicely though isn't it?

Check out what google earth is going to look like in your future:

And how about Photosynth? (awesome clip at this link by the way and there is also a demo available). Photosynth scrapes photos from all over the internet based on keywords, and then arranges them into a panaramic photomosaic which you can navigate around in. It looks like one giant picture but you can move through the space and even enter buildings and look aroud. Of all the new tech out now, photosynth/seadragon is my fav. The holo bit is just icing on the cake.

Can you tell which are the real models in this fashion show? You may be surprised...

All I need to say here is Kate Moss.

This last one a collage of presentations which were using Musion Eyeliner tech. At the end of this clip it shows how the technology works.

Cheers

[edit on 27-5-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

System.....we've seen this, in various movies....usually accomplished by CGI

I just saw 'Iron Man' yesterday....same sort of 'computer interface' going on.....it was all Hollywood, of course.

We also saw this sort of thing, in past Hollywood movies....."I, Robot" with Will Smith....that movie with Tom Cruise....so forgetable, I forgot the title.....the future crimes movie!!!! Duh!!! I can't remember!!!!

Point is....will we someday have that tech?? YES!!! Just as Star Trek gave us the automatic opening doors, we take for granted now....and cellphones!!!

Somebody, somewhere will invent what was imagined on screen.....the wirters invent, and somewhere, somehow, someone makes it happen. It is the brilliance of human imagination, writ large !!!!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Actually though, as you can see we already HAVE this tech. The only reason for the wait is that it is too new and too expensive for the general public. You will soon be seeing this in high end stores and such though. Very soon.

It'll be several years before it becomes affordable to the mainstream though.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Cool!!!! SystemiK.....is this going to co-incide with the cessation of analog TV broadcasts, next February 2009???

Guess I will not buy a new Television, unless it's 3D compatible......

Oh, can't wait for the next 'Best Buy' flyer!!!!!!!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Now i know why my phone bill is so dam much all the time

Telstra should spend the money on their service and update old sites so i and others can get ADSL 2 and better service

I would like to talk with a customer service and not some recording Saying press 1 press 2

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Wow. Imagine if Telstra managed to use the holographs to create planes that look like they were smashing into towers? Hmmm... hasn't that been done before?

The fact that these types of holographs are in the PUBLIC domain NOW, makes me wonder what types of operational holographs were in use 15 years ago...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
NASA Blue Beam Project - Most of you probably already looked at it. It IS cool... but every advance in technology opens up a new danger with it. Educate yourself, as crazy as it sounds, we should be ready. Contrails? Barium? 9/11? NWO? Also go to google videos and watch Aaron Russo's Freedom to Facism... very educational.

new topics

top topics

join