It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To non believers in GOD. What in the world do you believe in? and why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guided

Hi Annee. Fair post. You seem very grounded to where you stand, as do I. That is the most important thing. I never question what I believe in. I have to admit I can see how one can change in their mind after everything I have searched about on the internet. Reasons why GOD does not exist. Reasons why GOD does exist. I follow my own intuition and never let anyone else influence me differently. Won't happen. You seem the same. Thanks!

Thanks. I am not an Atheist - in case you thought that.

I believe very strongly in Evolution of the Individual Energy Soul - - even if that Soul is but a Ripple in the pond of the Creator. Integrity is essential.

I never said there weren't gods - - only the perception of what a god is.

[edited to correct quotes]

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Annee]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
THANK YOU, i have wished this thread would come along for ages!

I interestingly was raised as Christian, confirmed even.
But have turned my back.

I'm gathering you're talking from a Christian point of view so i'll just stick with that:

I'm a philosophy student and this has led me to learn about Zoroastrianism, Indian theologies, Astrological matters etc and their influences on it. Learning about how Hell was never originally even an original Christian idea was a major turning point i think.
So to me Christianity just seems the greatest culmination of different ideas so far.
In time i think there will be another new explanation to come along and maybe people will in however many hundred years look back and think "I cant believe in was a believer in THAT, i mean pah! how dumb must i have been. THIS [insert new theology here] is CLEARLY the answer!"
and this cycle will just repeat.

But back to the topic, I believe in myself.
I'm not saying Christians don't i just mean i place more interest in my heart and the choices i make. I don't need a crux for answers as there is so much in this world to learn & know the answer must be out there to anything i wonder.
In my 18yrs i have had to endure A LOT of hardships, one being my mother has been a HEAVY alcoholic since before my birth.
At the worst times with her when i have had no-one to turn to i have looked within myself and found the strength to get through it & carry on, for hers and my sake.
I will never turn to God and take the easy way out.
I don't need a savior, i saved myself.
I don't need to look at a book when life becomes too hard. I have conquered life before and i can conquer it again without Gods help.
I will make myself stronger every day through physical (gym, thai boxing) & mental (a intense desire to learn about anything & everything) development.
Placing faith in anything aside from yourself means you take away so much that you are capable of feeling.

I have recently been reading about Buddhism, and aside from making me get back to nature it has led to me to appreciate the human mind a lot more than i did. I need to start meditating as i do agree that we will reach a higher plan of consciousness if we would just open our minds beyond the current fascination with materialism.
The Global Consciousness was interesting to me, i now believe we are all somehow interconnected and our thoughts have unlimited power.
Maybe there is a Universal consciousness, formed by all of ours? i haven't thought about that yet.

Belief in a God to me just seems to take away from so much, it's like looking at life through the windshield of a car when it's raining. You can see the world but you see the rain first and that distorts your view as it splatters on the screen.
I have held the view for a long time that if you were to look back through a religious persons family tree, or personal life there will be a singular point where they start believing in God, either just accepting as tradition or from having trouble facing a hardship.

Life is just what it is, wonderful and terrible in it's extremes.
I have no predetermined path, i can do what i want. Yes it is scary but embrace it!
Maybe there are certain points laid out, and if we bump into them thats great but if not never mind.

At death my body will rot, and be eaten by the worms. And it's nutrients will be released into the surrounding area. I will get back to where i came from.
I want to say my energy will also be dispersed and go into something else but i haven't read up enough on this to know if this is actually true

That's all for now. Probably a lot more to come :p

Live Your Heart And Never Follow.

edit; added 'how' to 'about hell was never' so it makes sense.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by bmiasma]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bmiasma

I interestingly was raised as Christian, confirmed even.
But have turned my back.

What made you turn your back, bmiasma? Great post by the way. You seem very grounded. Do you believe in a creator? Thanks

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I will add: I do believe higher evolved beings are sent to Earth through out our existence.

I believe they are intentionally placed to help man to evolve spiritually - - to learn to separate that which is physical from the higher order of energy spirit or light being.

I do believe Christ was one of these "teachers". What I don't believe is the religion man has created in his name.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I have recently been reading about Buddhism, and aside from making me get back to nature it has led to me to appreciate the human mind a lot more than I did. I need to start meditating as I do agree that we will reach a higher plan of consciousness if we would just open our minds beyond the current fascination with materialism.

Technically Buddhism is not a religion but a Life Philosophy.

We are "of the Creator" - - not separate from.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Guided

Thanks

I dont know really.
Tbh i think i was never of the flock. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to Sunday school not through a philosophical dilemma with it but just because i thought it was boring and i didn't like anybody there haha.
i spat out the 'blood of christ' at my confirmation practice
the victor looked so shocked haha

i choked on it. it wasn't intentional
But i do have 4 moles on my hand that form an upside down cross from my point of view (as in looking down on it, not an opinion 'point of view')
so maybe that has something to do with it! haha

And i don't know, i haven't thought about a creator.
I lean towards evolution as it makes sense, and there is a logical process going on that we can see.
Adam and Eve doesn't do it for me, for the simple fact of the Dinosaurs completely disprove it.
but i do admit that i have no idea how the first molecular cells got there.
but discoveries take time and i'm not expecting that to be found out for ages.
I mean they used to believe in the earth was flat didn't they!
one day

And to Anne;
i didn't say it was a religion :S? I know it's a life philosophy.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

And to Anne;
i didn't say it was a religion :S? I know it's a life philosophy.

That wasn't necessarily for your benefit.

If you are studying or even researching Buddhism - you'd probably know that.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

[
Adam and Eve doesn't do it for me, for the simple fact of the Dinosaurs completely disprove it.

Thanks for the post! You do know that "dinosaurs" are in the bible. Noah's Ark is in the bible as well. They have just recently made a huge discovery in regards to this. The bible is true.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I do believe Christ was one of these "teachers". What I don't believe is the religion man has created in his name.

So you do believe in Jesus Christ?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I also believe in Buddha - Confucius - Joseph Smith

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

No offense Annee. I think there is a "small" part of you that does believe but, you are "turned off" by something. I could be wrong but, I hope I am not.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

No offense Annee. I think there is a "small" part of you that does believe but, you are "turned off" by something. I could be wrong but, I hope I am not.

NO Guided. There is nothing about the man made religion named for Christ that I believe.

I said - I believe advanced beings are sent to earth throughout its inception to help guide man spiritually.

Christ is just one of many.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

[

Ok, Annee. Besides Christ, who are the other advanced beings. Thanks

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Ok, Annee. Besides Christ, who are the other advanced beings. Thanks

Well - I could fall for this question. But I'm not going to.

Instead - I'm gonna refer you to the phenomenon of George Armstrong Custer.

If you don't understand that - read the True story and how his wife was instrumental in creating a myth.

After his death, Custer achieved the lasting fame that eluded him in life. The public saw him as a tragic military hero and gentleman who sacrificed his life for his country. Custer's wife, Elizabeth, who accompanied him in many of his frontier expeditions, did much to advance this view with the publication of several books about her late husband: Boots and Saddles, Life with General Custer in Dakota (1885), Tenting on the Plains (1887), and Following the Guidon (1891). General Custer himself wrote about the Indian wars in My Life on the Plains (1874) and was the posthumous co-author of The Custer Story (1950).

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Hi Herman! It can be simple for you too! I am no different than you. The proof is the word of GOD in the bible. For example. You know that Mars exists. How do you know this? You have never seen it. You are taking the word/pictures from men. Maybe it's all made up. How do you really know? You don't. You have faith in the men who are telling you this.

As you know, there is more to it than this. There is science behind planets like Mars existing. There are actual pictures of Mars. You can see Mars in a telescope. I "believe in" Mars because there is enough actual evidence to prove that it really is there. There is no proof that God exists.

All I am saying is if you can believe the word of man about Mars, then why can't you believe the word of man about GOD and Jesus. Who told this information straight to man. I am not saying every word in the bible is exact but, the overall basis of it is. You have to give it a fair chance in your life.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by Guided]

Well, the particular word of man you're speaking of was written over 2,000 years ago, over a period of many years. There are many things in the bible that have already been proven to be taken from other religions, and other things that people just choose to ignore. What really did it to me, I guess, was the separation between knowledge and belief. For years, I told myself that I believed in God. I argued with people in favor of God and Christianity. But I realized, at some point, that there's a difference between believing in something, and telling yourself that you believe in something. If you really "know" something, it's not a choice. I don't choose to believe that I'm sitting on a chair typing a message on a forum right now - it really is happening. If God was real, I believe, the choice we have would lay in whether or not we choose to follow him, not whether or not we choose to believe he exists. It's not a choice for me not to believe in God, it's a result. A result of having absolutely no proof what so ever. A result of seeing all of the evils in the world. The result of getting on my knees and praying to God that if he really cares about my salvation, he will let me know he exists.

I respect your beliefs a lot, Guided, but my justifications for not believing in God are not trivial.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose

There is no proof of God, he is a myth invented by people who had no science to explain life so they invented Gods and we are still saddled with the sad effects of the belief in God, look at the misery religion has caused, God is a lie and a dangerous one at that.

Your right about religion. That's because people are so divided instead of being one. If you are talking science. We are really no better off now then we were before. Science stilll can't answer the question as to, "Why we are here or why do we die?(I mean we know your heart stops, brain does not function). But why does that happen. No one can answer that. I feel except for GOD.

God is a myth! You want to write off science so easily, but then preach about a God that there is no evidence of at all of his existance. Science can answer and will eventually answer those questions you ask. Science is very real and working to answer the questions about death and life, because of science we are living longer.

I don't profess to know where man came from or how the earth came to be or any of that, but I defintely know that there is no santa claus watching over us from above. Mankind has kept the myth of god alive due to the fact that they need to believe that there is something to depend on, someone protecting us, but it is all a myth for the weak.

A myth useful to further the agenda of the elite, if we are always good and obey then eventually we will find heaven when we die, never mind the load of crap we have to put up with down here paying for the rich to dance while we the poor man pays the band.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I'm curious and maybe I missed it, but what do you hope to accomplish with this?

A better understanding of why people choose not to follow the word of your god? Or to push your views on other people? Or is there just a curiosity that you have of why? I think it's rather pointless to talk about religion. This person believes that and if he/she wants to believe that, then let them be. If it's and understanding you want, well, kudos. Just don't try to force your god on to people. Not saying you are, it's just not polite. That's why I dislike mormons and jaho...jehov...the witness people.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Guided

ahh right fair enough.
i am intrigued as to what this discovery is?
yea i do agree that stuff from the bible is coming true (i haven't actually read it though, i've just heard a lot of people go on about it.)
but then again the mayans and such did predict things like 9/11 so i'm not going to say that Christians were solely right, they might have got the ideas from other people.
I think ancient religions that relied more on astrology instead of dogma knew a lot more than we did.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman

As you know, there is more to it than this. There is science behind planets like Mars existing. There are actual pictures of Mars. You can see Mars in a telescope. I "believe in" Mars because there is enough actual evidence to prove that it really is there. There is no proof that God exists.

Well, the particular word of man you're speaking of was written over 2,000 years ago, over a period of many years. There are many things in the bible that have already been proven to be taken from other religions, and other things that people just choose to ignore. What really did it to me, I guess, was the separation between knowledge and belief. For years, I told myself that I believed in God. I argued with people in favor of God and Christianity. But I realized, at some point, that there's a difference between believing in something, and telling yourself that you believe in something. If you really "know" something, it's not a choice. I don't choose to believe that I'm sitting on a chair typing a message on a forum right now - it really is happening. If God was real, I believe, the choice we have would lay in whether or not we choose to follow him, not whether or not we choose to believe he exists. It's not a choice for me not to believe in God, it's a result. A result of having absolutely no proof what so ever. A result of seeing all of the evils in the world. The result of getting on my knees and praying to God that if he really cares about my salvation, he will let me know he exists.

I respect your beliefs a lot, Guided, but my justifications for not believing in God are not trivial.

Herman, you make some good points. I don't know if you have ever read the bible. GOD's word is coming true. If you read Revelations. It is scary. As far as I am aware of there is not one thing in the bible that can be disproved. You mentioned about GOD proving something to you to "show" you that he exists. That is testing GOD. That is mentioned throughout the bible. If you truly want to know if GOD exists he has given you a choice. If you choice to believe in GOD and Jesus. Do it with a totally open heart from the bottom of your soul. Read his words to become closer. I guarantee you your question will be answered. You ask anyone who truly has the power of the holy spirt in them and they will answer you the same as I. I can't explain it, you have to live it. It is there for everyone willing to receive it.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose

od is a myth! You want to write off science so easily, but then preach about a God that there is no evidence of at all of his existance. Science can answer and will eventually answer those questions you ask. Science is very real and working to answer the questions about death and life, because of science we are living longer.

I don't profess to know where man came from or how the earth came to be or any of that, but I defintely know that there is no santa claus watching over us from above. Mankind has kept the myth of god alive due to the fact that they need to believe that there is something to depend on, someone protecting us, but it is all a myth for the weak.

A myth useful to further the agenda of the elite, if we are always good and obey then eventually we will find heaven when we die, never mind the load of crap we have to put up with down here paying for the rich to dance while we the poor man pays the band. [/quote

Goose: If you allowed GOD into your life. You would truly know. The word of GOD is in the bible and it is coming true. Just read it. I am by far a "weak person". I am strong, stronger than I have ever been in my life. My life is probably not much different then yours. We all can be like that if we allow it.

Rich/poor the world. It is like what it is today because of man. Man has slipped away from GOD's word. US is a rich country (not for long) with an abundance of food(not for long) and money and waste. Their's the people in Africa starving. That is our fault. We are divided. I get upset about that because it is so unfair. Thanks for your post!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join