It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-dairy milk brands, varieties, recipes. Post yours!

page: 1

join
share:
apc

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
In response to current research being done on a particular characteristic of dairy milk I think this, among others such as growth hormones etc, is a good reason to stop drinking it. So far Silk Soy Vanilla seems best for daily drinking and to go on cereal. But I would like to know what are the experiences of others as far as cooking, baking, or just drinking. Do you use soy milk or some other non-dairy like almond, rice, or hemp milk? Any flavoring? Post your anecdotes, tips, and suggestions here!

Here's my tip, vanilla soy in scrambled eggs tastes really weird!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
We've used Silk brand. Maybe that's the one that also sells chocolate soy milk? One brand had strawberry flavored soy milk, but bought it out of town and haven't been able to find it since.

Since we don't use milk that much, we buy the kind in packages on the shelf, smaller size and can store an extra one in the cupboard. I prefer soy (taste and nutrition) but have used rice and almond.

For someone thinking of switching to soy, I would suggest starting with vanilla soy, as plain or "original" soy might be a turn off to some. Vanilla doesn't necessarily mean that the milk has a strong vanilla taste, just helps the soy milk not taste so "soy".

In fact, my husband discovered that vanilla soy milk makes excellent mashed potatoes, added in place of dairy milk! Soy milk in mashed potates makes them creamier and tastier. The vanilla soy doesn't mean they taste for vanilla.

For health reasons, my husband now eats soy cheese, both sliced and shredded, and soy butter. He also put it in his coffee.

lol I gotta try the scrambled eggs!

apc

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yup Silk sells chocolate and I must say it really tastes better than chocolate cow juice. I have found the vanilla tastes great on my honey nut toasty-o's. It adds a kind of marshmellow taste... almost like I'm eating lucky charms. I'll have to see if it can also improve the taste of some of those flax-seed cereals.

Butter and cheese are also a concern of mine. How do they compare to the real thing? Do they melt the same? I can't give them up just yet but once I've fully assimilated soy milk, they're next.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The sliced cheese has the texture of American cheese slices. The flavors are ok, ranging from cheddar to mozzarella to swiss. The shredded are good, too. It all melts. My husband melts a slice on his tamales or burritoes. He also makes cold cheese/meat sandwiches with it.

The stuff can be expensive, but so are dairy products now anyway. Stock up when products are on sale. Freeze and use. Doesn't seem to affect quality. Block soy might be cheaper per unit than presliced; slice and shred yourself. I used to buy block soy cheese from a co-op.

Years ago when I switched to soy/non-meat products, I was expecting, you know, a real honest to goodness hamburger or hotdog taste/texture, and was disappointed. But I had to keep in mind that the products were really a good facsimiles, and better for me. Boca brand burgers are pretty darn close, and certain "hotdogs" are better than others. Soy sausage is pretty close, also. I think these products have come a long way from the beginning.

Have you tried soy deli meats? Like I said above, they take some realization that it's not going to be exactly the same. But I do like the soy bologna! The soy salame and other types are, well, soy products.

Re the "butter". We use Soy Garden brand spread, and that stuff is awesome. We can't tell the difference. It spreads, it melts, it fries even. One thing, because it's soy based, it can spoil, go moldy, whereas butter/margarine might outlive someone. The same with the cheeses.

Oh, there is also a soy "cream cheese" and a soy parmesan. Both are acceptable, although the "cream cheese" is still a little too soy for me. Oh, and there is soy ice cream, and I think I've seen soy "yogurt", too. Again, the ice cream is, well, an acceptable dessert.

We haven't tried the soy mayonnaise yet. Although, since mayo is oil based anyway (maybe with soy oil anyway) it might not make that much of a difference. Maybe the soy mayo is vegan; I'll have to check.

I'd better stop here. I'm getting hungry!

apc

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
That's a lot of soy! I know studies say nominal intake of soy products is not a risk, but large amounts may cause hormonal problems in those of the dangling persuasion.

But I'm just concerned with finding replacements for dairy right now. I already don't eat beef or pork unless it's served by a host, and I'm happy devouring birds and fish. I'm migrating towards a more paleolithic diet which for myself of western European ancestry means meat is a must. Part of that, in addition to the research I referenced, is the elimination of dairy products.

Just picked up a carton of original Silk... which I have not yet been exposed to.
Wish me luck!

>
Hey that's not too bad! Definitely tastes green. Not unlike some butter I make on occasion. I think this might do well for cooking.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by apc]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I make porridge with soy milk and use it in all types of cooking, from mashed potatoes to curry. Once you get used to soy you learn to love it. I also have soya meat replacements such as sausages and mince which I prefer to the real thing.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have been on a free red meat diet for almost 6 months, but I still use dairy, as I can not get use to the milk substitutes.

I have tried silk and almond milk and rice, but I just can not get that soy taste out of the silk and for the almond and rice is just no the same in cereals.

When it comes to burger parties I enjoy the morning start spicy black bean parties they are actually better than the rest of the vegetarian ones I have eaten.

I am mostly now on fish about 4 days a week and occasional bird, interesting how I am craving fish now more often and have not desire for red meat at all.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Try making a bolognaise using soy based vegetarian mince instead of beef mince. Makes a nice change, especially with lots of veggies in it and tastes real good too.

new topics

top topics

join