It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Obama.....WHY?!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jalien

Well, thank you for pointing that out. Really, I needed that.

Of course, you will see that I am severely outnumbered, and the people who agree with me have just left little stars on my posts.

I'm glad you can count.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by beforetime
lol i BEG......DARE....any stupid person or persons ....to interfere with one of my family members funerals ....

because they would end up in a coffin next to my loved one....

then my family & friends would come and protest there stupid funeral calling them all kind of thing's and hold sign's.

I was thinking the same thing. LOL! Why would you go after the little guy in the grand scheme of things? Common sense would point all fingers to the politicians in D.C. Have a protest in Washington. But I guess it's alot easier picking on the pawn and not the queen. And less repercussion's.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
Well, thank you for pointing that out. Really, I needed that.
Of course, you will see that I am severely outnumbered, and the people who agree with me have just left little stars on my posts.
I'm glad you can count.

Oh don't take it so hard. Hey if anything, notice that several anti-Obama people (myself included) actually agreed with his position on this (not that it is all that radical of a position, perhaps now you can see why he said it, because he KNEW the majority would agree).

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
bigbert81, I .I your stance on this in keeping our freedom of speech. And I understand what you are saying and agree that this could have a snowball effect in taking away other rights.I have had the same argument with a friend of mine(he's liberal,I'm conservative)about abortion.I think it should be illegal,but I do believe there are circumstances that should make it legal(rape cases and mother's or baby's health).But I DO understand that if you allow 1 thing,it will just make the argument easier for the next person to say"Hey,she got one,I want it too"
So it goes back to the whole public vs private.I think we have to figure out what we classify a funeral as.So yes I do applaud you for having a good, strong point and sticking to it.We do need to protect our rights,but somehow keep funerals sacred and protest free.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeCobb

Thank you Mike for the post.

I'm usually not very good at conveying my point, but I'm glad to see that some people like yourself do understand what it is I'm trying to say.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
reply to post by ezziboo

Hey, I can understand the feelings these family members must go through, it must be horrible. But to start taking away the reasons their loved ones supposedly died for is horrible. This is how it starts, people get offended, so let's change the country and strip people of their rights so that they DON'T get offended. If it keeps going like this, we're going to be a purely fascist country.

With all due respect, people like you who think that same way, and justify this happening, are the people who take away my freedoms.

[edit on 5/26/2008 by bigbert81]

BullC***P! It is called common decency and respect for fellow human beings. If you can't see it for what it is... Political crap when, whether you agree with the war or not, the survivors need some time for grief then... That's where we, as a culture start having problems. I can't imagine a scenario where a political statement at the cost of someone elses bereavement or grief is useful, or even worth a tinker's damn.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Normally I hate double talk semantic loop hole nonsense. But I think what you just said flyerfan is the perfect solution. No way should anyone ever protest at a soldier's funeral. But then again that's the whole reason we justify having the most powerful most expensive military.
So go ahead and protest but no at that exact time and place. Change the place or change the time but they died giving you the right to protest in the first place,
so, show the slightest amount of indifference to the family of the dead loved one. Not even asking for respect.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeCobb

I agree that the heart of this arguement lies in finding funerals private, rather than public. I will always support our right to protest, even when I don't agree with the protesters. However, protesting in the manner in question simply infringes on a family's ability to say goodbye to a loved one. You don't see protests at weddings, because churches are private property, and the police can be called without question. Most grave sites are also privately owned, but because of their "free-roam" nature, are often not viewed as such. It's the same principle as people being able to protest across the street from an abortion clinic, but not infront of, or across the street from a church that holds gay weddings, but not inside of the church.

As far as I'm concerned, banning protests at funerals is simply a clarification of the law, not an infringement on someone's rights. The only problem being that, most cemeteries are small enough or open enough, that even a protest from across the street can have an impact on those who are mourning (unlike an abortion clinic or a large church). I think the solution lies in the hands of the family members who are holding the funeral. Perhaps choosing a more enclosed grave site, or simply choosing to have a funeral procession inside of a church with a short burial cerimony afterward. You can't take away someone's right to protest. But I certianly think it a disturbance of the peace to do something like this in such a solomn place. The idea is to be more clever than those who would wish your family harm, if not in the court room, than on your own.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I am also an avid Obama Supporter, and I am the first to say that our freedoms are one by one being taken away. But for God's sake, I sure would not include these protests in this category. What will you say next, that someone's freedom is being taken away, if they decide to picket a elementary school naked. Come on, as reasonable people, this is absolutely a tragedy to include these sick protests in this category. Some things "should" remain sacred and private, and that is why a society needs certain rules and laws to live by. Read the Lord of the Flies. We were all made to read it in the 8th grade. I am now 57 and the daughter of a WWII Marine, who served in Okinawa and was machine gunned 6 times above the heart in order for you to make this type of statement. That is freedom (freedom of speech). My father lived, although I always called him a dead man walking, but let me tell you that had I been in the same situation as any of these families, nothing would have stopped me from having them arrested for harassment and even more. So, "if" you are really an Obama supporter, as you say, next time you decide to post something like this, why don't you take a moment to truly listen to his message of HOPE and stop this kind of useless rhetoric. And yes, next time, take a breath before you speak! There are far more important things to worry about us losing our freedoms to. All you need to do is look to Cheney, Bush, and their kind and how they have taken our freedoms away one by one, but in no way, would I include these protests. They are sick, hate-filled, and totally insensitive, and also an "invasion" of privacy. At least Obama is a ray of hope to us, and I say God Bless Him for having said what he did......So, next time you listen to him, "Pay Attention!"

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join